Wing Chun guy cries at M1 tryouts

Looked legit to me,I love seeing a TMA guy do well and use their style's techniques in mma!

i'm pretty sure i've been ringside for all of shawn obasi's UCL fights. when he first fought he was a ferocious striker with a glaring hole in his game (grappling). he lost to a wrestler after beating the hell out of that wrestler, and then he lost to bryan vetell before bryan went on to the IFL. then shawn took some time off and started studying bjj at fabio clemente's school, and since then he's been wrecking dudes. seriously, just cutting right through them like a hot knife through butter. he went through a couple opponent's in the UCL, beat up someone at a show in vermont, and now the dude can't get any fights.

it's a shame, too, because he's exciting and entertaining as hell. is he a little nuts? maybe, but he's a fucking wing chun TMAer who has crosstrained more than he lets on, and he can bring it in an MMA bout.

siouxNYC - i'm pretty sure i've been ringside for all of shawn obasi's UCL fights. when he first fought he was a ferocious striker with a glaring hole in his game (grappling). he lost to a wrestler after beating the hell out of that wrestler, and then he lost to bryan vetell before bryan went on to the IFL. then shawn took some time off and started studying bjj at fabio clemente's school, and since then he's been wrecking dudes. seriously, just cutting right through them like a hot knife through butter. he went through a couple opponent's in the UCL, beat up someone at a show in vermont, and now the dude can't get any fights.

it's a shame, too, because he's exciting and entertaining as hell. is he a little nuts? maybe, but he's a fucking wing chun TMAer who has crosstrained more than he lets on, and he can bring it in an MMA bout.
is he winning because of the wing chun striking or just because he would be a ferocious strikers no matter what form he was using?

also, why isn't wing chun used or practiced for mma?

honestly, i think it's the wing chun and the years he spent practicing it. being a big, aggressive dude probably helps his cause, but when you watch him you can definitely tell he's a different kind of striker.

He needs medication, fast.

I want to see him fight more. He is exciting and not afraid to fight.

if you judge someone based on their muay thai training or their own philosophy of a certain style, im sorry but you fail

the man is a decent fighter in mma

those m-1 fuckers were idiots

siouxNYC - honestly, i think it's the wing chun and the years he spent practicing it. being a big, aggressive dude probably helps his cause, but when you watch him you can definitely tell he's a different kind of striker.

I'd enjoy watching him in MS MMA but those org's likely won't risk another meltdown like on the M1 vid.

KidJustice -  I want to see him fight more. He is exciting and not afraid to fight.
as crazy as he is.. i agree

So did the tryout involve sparring or what?

Because if all it consists of is demonstrating proficiency in a predetermined set of techniques, in a certain style and manner, then the tryout is a sham.

Let the guy show what he can do in the ring for a round or two. LOL @ sizing up a guy's potential for MMA based on his failure to kick the pads like a Lumpinee hall of famer.

It's good that MMA has dispelled some TMA illusions, but is seems to generate its own from time to time. I hate the formula thinking "BJJ + wrestling + boxing + thai = MMA; nothing else is needed."

Fuck M-1. Imagine if Demian Maia went to this tryout before he began in the UFC.

Let the crazy man fight!!!

At least he won't lay and pray.

M1 is looking for people to get wrecked by their boys, no loss for "Wing Chun Man"

Wow, if he wants to be a fucking fighter he should learn to conduct himself in a more professional manner - crying on your knees for a fight isn't great for your career IMO.

You know he wasn't really crying, right?? He was pretending to cry. He said, "Don't be like, 'We're M-1'" And then he proceeded to act like if he's on his knees kissing the guy's feet. He was trying to make a point, but FAILED in a very stupid way.

You guys seriously want to see him in mma?? As a novelty, or for serious??

What?  No "Fedor ducking fighters" posts yet?

Lucas Maximus -  M1 is looking for people to get wrecked by their boys, no loss for "Wing Chun Man"

I agree but really you can replace M1 with any other mma organization that has ever existed and it would still be true.

WoodenPupa - 
It's good that MMA has dispelled some TMA illusions, but is seems to generate its own from time to time. I hate the formula thinking "BJJ + wrestling + boxing + thai = MMA; nothing else is needed."

smartest thing posted in this thread thus far

Holy backfire: M1 posting this vid in hopes of humiliating Wing Chun Guy is instead turning him into a UG Cult Hero.

TTT for "Many lifetimes" Obasi!

He's a goofball no doubt. But his point stands---and besides, MMA is not exactly the home of the emotionally balanced. It's not exactly uncommon to find mental instability in MMA. Success obscures those things, failure brings them out.

Anyway, everybody believes in their style, whether that style is a single TMA system, a hybrid of some kind.

That said, sometimes you have to play the game right to get where you want to be. Sticking to your guns is great, but often the obstacles in your way are people with egos even bigger than yours, and you will get nowhere without saying the magic words, jumping through the little hoops.

Wing chun man failed to do his homework and assumed the people running the tryouts would be fair.