Wing Chuner challenge Amature Boxer...

Ganther,I disagree.WC'er was not zoning/angling,or putting in the "invisible kicks" after strikes.I agree,however,that the size and reach advatage is not a great example of an equal comparison.

The boxer didn't really put in an effort though. If he wanted to, he could thrown everything but the kitchen sink at him, and KO'd him in a few seconds. Instead he was nice, and wanted to play a little.

Double

Round 2 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhBubTWMr8

"Wing Chun guys almost always seem to go down to a right/left hook..."

Interesting....every chump in every bar in the world will attack you with a right hook...unless they are left handed obviously.

Guy in 1st vid was playing with wang chang guy.
Apparently Wang Chang translates from the original Chineese as "Waste of time" and it was an "art" made up to take money from gullible westerners....

Appreciate the posts DanTheWolfman

They are almost always an informative watch

1. The boxer was probably a kickboxer (ankle braces etc), and he wasn't taking it seriously. He had his hands behind his back at one point.

2. In pretty much every pure wing chun vs X video I've seen, the wing chun guy loses and all the comments say he wasn't doing proper wing chun. Give him some credit for fighting at least, and acknowledge that what you can do in a drill sometimes doesn't come out right in a fight. Also, I'd love to see one where the wing chun guy wins using wing chun.

dojostorm 101: ALWAYS waer cup outside of gi during any respectable dojostorm

Wing Chun always seems like one of those theoretical/religious martial arts.

"In theory" it could work, but outside of a single technique or two it always seems to come out on the losing end of every single encounter that has been filmed. At least Aikido claims to be a defense against fighting.

Wing Chun doesn't seem to have a good excuse beyond the fact that it was designed to fighting in narrow alleys. Unless you want to fight in a place where lateral movement can't occur, seems pretty pointless to me.

what's up with all the fucking hand-touching (jorge gurgel-style)

rbl -  2. In pretty much every pure wing chun vs X video I've seen, the wing chun guy loses and all the comments say he wasn't doing proper wing chun. Give him some credit for fighting at least, and acknowledge that what you can do in a drill sometimes doesn't come out right in a fight. Also, I'd love to see one where the wing chun guy wins using wing chun.

Sure does seem that way. I'd like to see a vid of a WC guy winning a fight too. Someone's got to have won a fight using WC, right?

I wonder what the back story is, boxer was being extra douchey. Maybe he was kidding but he missed a ton of counters and got caught a bunch, of course they were weak shots though. Not a victory to be proud of really. Maybe it was the spa music playing the background making them fight so lamely.

Best part of that first video is the Wing Chun guy wearing his cup over his pants. That's badass. I think I'm going to start wearing mine over my shorts..

Dynamicsolid - If the styles had been reversed, tall guy would still have won. Different level of atheleticism, strength, quickness, conditioning. Not to mention height and reach.

please man. dude fought with one hand behind his back at one point, and never got touched. thats not just athleticism.

not defending wc, but that didn't look much like wc.

"LOL @ anyone thinking WC trapping would work"

Oh it works, Wing Chun is just not a good base art for MMA. It's really that simple. I've had plenty of experience training with good wing chun guys (although I certainly wouldn't consider myself a student) and the trapping stuff they do works for their style.

There is a difference between guys occasionally coming to WC class to socialize and learn a few techniques, and guys who actually condition their hands and forearms to take and give punishment, roll their shins with rolling pins to condition them for banging shin on shin, etc. Just because YOU'VE never seen it work doesn't mean it doesn't.