Woman Becomes Obese After Fecal Transplant

While they may sound totally disgusting, fecal transplants are emerging as a promising treatment for a variety of gastrointestinal diseases, in particular infection with the bacteria Clostridium difficile. They don’t quite involve directly inserting the feces of one person into another, but rather the donor stool is rinsed and strained and then introduced into the recipient, either through an enema or endoscopy, or orally in pill form. The idea is to replace healthy bacteria in the gut after the normal balance is disturbed, for example by antibiotics.

One woman suffering recurrent C. difficile infection was recently successfully treated with this procedure, but interestingly, she also rapidly went from normal weight to becoming obese after receiving the transplant. While the weight gain could be due to a variety of factors, the donor was also overweight, and the recipient had never struggled with her weight before. Researchers are therefore speculating whether something in the transplant could have played a role in her weight gain, and have described the intriguing case in Open Forum Infectious Diseases.

The individual described in the report was a 32-year-old female who presented with recurrent C. difficileinfection. This bacterium commonly affects those treated with antibiotics and can cause a variety of unpleasant symptoms, ranging from diarrhea and abdominal cramps to life-threatening complications such as severe bowel swelling.

At the time, the woman was a healthy 136 pounds with a normal BMI of 26. Her daughter weighed 140 pounds at the time, with a BMI of 26.6, but became overweight shortly afterward. Following the therapy, the woman’s symptoms vanished and she no longer experienced recurrent infections.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/woman-becomes-obese-after-fecal-transplant-overweight-donor Phone Post 3.0

So, i can donate my shit? How much does it pay? Phone Post 3.0

The Phantom Shitter strikes again!

Yes it is known that gut flora plays a huge role in weight regulation, something the "eat fewer calories" crowd doesn't seem to know or care about. Why people are fat is a complex issue that we still don't understand. Phone Post 3.0

Fat people shit their fat genes Phone Post 3.0

AlbertEinstein - Yes it is known that gut flora plays a huge role in weight regulation, something the "eat fewer calories" crowd doesn't seem to know or care about. Why people are fat is a complex issue that we still don't understand. Phone Post 3.0
Yup. Many skinny people want to act as though they always make good choices.

My skinniest friend eats McDonald's and pizza everyday. Here I am with my fucking salads working out two hours a day six days a week Phone Post 3.0

Your friend might eat McDonald's and pizza everyday but he is not eating enough total calories throughout the day to gain weight.

AlbertEinstein - Yes it is known that gut flora plays a huge role in weight regulation, something the "eat fewer calories" crowd doesn't seem to know or care about. Why people are fat is a complex issue that we still don't understand. Phone Post 3.0

If she ate fewer calories now, she would lose some weight.

Fact.

Some people burn calories at different rates. No one is the same. I've had plenty of friends who would eat fast food and drink super big gulps and drink and be super skinny. Some stayed that way others later in their 20's blew up over night. Phone Post 3.0

It sounds like her body didn't process the food she was eating before, she diarrhea-ed everything out before her body could absorb the calories out of the food.

Now she will have to stop eating like a pig, but that is just the price she has to pay to not have constant blowouts.

People burn calories at different rates dependant on age and gender mostly. Aside from that it's pretty uniform. Calories control weight, period. Citing people drinking big gulps gives us no insight about their daily caloric intake.

Take a fat person and a skinny person of the same age and gender and relative frame and follow them around for a full week. The fat person, overall, will always intake more calories. Sure the skinny person might pig out here and there, but the overall caloric intake will be lower.

so we can catch the fat now?

In general your weight is determined by you hormone leptin. People develop what is known as leptin resistance when parts of their brain stop receiving the leptin signals which control whether you're hungry, whether your body stores or burns fat etc.

Leptins weren't discovered until 1994 so there's not tons of info on them, and people differ on what causes resistance etc.

Eating clean, exercise, getting enough sleep all contribute to the way your leptins work.

If I could sell my shit to others I'd be a fucking millionaire

Bad Monkey -

It sounds like her body didn't process the food she was eating before, she diarrhea-ed everything out before her body could absorb the calories out of the food.

Now she will have to stop eating like a pig, but that is just the price she has to pay to not have constant blowouts.

C diff isn't a permanent thing, I believe the article was saying she was 136 pounds before the infection. Now she's gaining without much lifestyle change. Phone Post 3.0

Freeman - 

Damn, don't probiotics do the same thing?

Eeeeew.

Drink a Yakult

MightyMorphinPowerReptilians - People burn calories at different rates dependant on age and gender mostly. Aside from that it's pretty uniform. Calories control weight, period. Citing people drinking big gulps gives us no insight about their daily caloric intake.

Take a fat person and a skinny person of the same age and gender and relative frame and follow them around for a full week. The fat person, overall, will always intake more calories. Sure the skinny person might pig out here and there, but the overall caloric intake will be lower.

I believe this to be true.  I am skinny, and eat big, unhealthy, high calorie meals.  But, I do not consume calories in the interim.  Most fatties consume a lot of in between meal calories.  Just a cookie or two, or when they are eating healthy, an apple and a banana.  Bitch, an apple AND a banana.  That's 250 calories of mostly sugar.  Then they have their healthy 100 calorie snack packs.  And eat three of them after lunch.

My sister in law is trying to lose weight after gaining 50 lbs in a year.  She hasn't lost weight in a month of trying, but all she has done is go to the gym daily to ride the eliptical for 30 minutes a day.  She has stopped gaining weight, but thinks she should have lost 20 lbs by now.  SMH.  I asked her what she ate for dinner.  She said a bowl of goulash.  Show me the bowl.  She pulls out a big ass bowl that holds three cups.  1000 calories.  She still thinks she has a medical condition that prevents her from losing weight.