Woman science: Women genetically stronger than men

I love this shit. Women couldn't possibly survive famines at a higher rate cuz men generally require 2-3 times more calories. And men couldn't possibly have a higher mortality rate in general because they have a far greater rate of risky behavior and professions. And of course the study comes from a woman...

This is definitely a case of 'science' saying one thing and common sense saying. "yea, I don't think so."

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/01/08/women-biologically-stronger-men-likely-survive-life-threatening/amp/

Eleanor Roosevelt once quipped that a woman is like a tea bag. You can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.

So the former first lady would most certainly have approved of a new study which suggests women, far from being the weaker sex, are much more likely to survive a life-threatening crisis.

Researchers at the University of Southern Denmark trawled through historic data looking at death rates for men and women who suffered famines and epidemics, or who were sold into slavery.

In virtually every case, they found that women survived their ordeals far longer, often outliving their male counterparts by years, even when conditions were equally dire.

For example, before the Irish Potato Famine, which devastated the country from 1845 to 1849, both men and women lived until they were 38, on average. But at the height of the crisis, although life expectancy dropped to 18.17 for men, it only fell to 22.4 for women.

The same pattern was seen during the Swedish famine of 1772-1773 and the Ukraine harvest failures of 1933. Women also lived longer during two 19th century Icelandic measles outbreaks, with females lasting up to two years longer than men.

Lead author Dr Virginia Zarulli, assistant professor of epidemiology, writing in the journal PNAS said: “The conditions experienced by the people in the analysed populations were horrific. Even though the crises reduced the female survival advantage in life expectancy, women still survived better than men.

“We find that even when mortality was very high, women lived longer.

“Most of the female advantage was due to differences in mortality among infants. It is striking that during epidemics and famines as harsh as those analyzed here newborn girls still survived better than newborn boys”

For all populations, far more women also lived to extreme old age than men.

The only exception was in the Trinidadian slave trade, where men outlived women, but the researchers believe that slave traders have a greater incentive to keep male slaves alive, because they were worth more.

The researchers said the results suggest that women are fundamentally biologically ‘hardier’ than men, which may be due to differences in sex hormones. Oestrogen is a known anti-inflammatory which also protects the vascular system, while testosterone is a risk factor for many fatal diseases. The male sex hormone may also harm the immune system.

Evolutionary scientists believe that women may have a boosted immune system because they need to survive for at least nine months to give birth, whereas a man’s input into reproduction is transitory.

And because they only have one ‘X’ chromosome, rather than two like women, there is no back-up if one does not function correctly.

Robin Dunbar, Professor of Evolutionary Psychology at Oxford University said: “I think the answer possibly lies in the fact that males are more fragile.

“Women are just more determined: men give up quicker when the going gets tough. Women find it much harder to die when in the final stages, and often hang on in there well past the point at which males have given up and gone.

“There is an iconic event in American folklore when a wagon train of pioneers got stranded in the Rockies during the winter on its way to California. The young men died like flies, and the old grannies stuck it out to survive until they were rescued the following spring.”

Cultural and social difference between men and women could also be behind the some of the diffrence.

“The high preponderance of risk-taking behaviors among men contributes substantially to the sex gap in life expectancy,” added Dr Zarulli.

“Men consume tobacco, alcohol, and psychoactive substances in greater quantities, drive less safely, and eat less salubriously than women do; this results in elevated risks of cardiovascular diseases, lung cancer, liver cirrhosis, and accident fatalities

“However, although behaviors are important factors, they cannot fully explain the sex difference in survival. In almost all human populations women live longer than men.

“Our results add another piece to the puzzle of gender differences in survival. They suggest that the female advantage stems from fundamental biological roots.”

Prof Max Headley, Professor of Physiology at theUniversity of Bristol added: " “It's well-known that women tend to have more subcutaneous fat and a lower metabolic rate.

"So their stores of energy are likely to last longer under conditions of famine. Whether there's anything else more sophisticated to it than that, eg immune system differences, I've no idea.”

dr evil whatever GIF

That assumes that the famine happens in a vacuum. The fact they require less calories to survive is meaningless if there are no men left near by to defend them.

This is like saying cats can live longer in a world with just mice... well duh...introduce dogs and wolves into the equation and we have a massive difference. 

Lol this makes me think of the reporter dame in Hawaii on Saturday. She said she got the missile threat message and all she could think to do was tweet "OMG". Meanwhile men were hauling ass to the hills and hunkering down in houses.

Of course they are, OP. You need to get with the times. The "proof" is in the "fact" that they just identify themselves as stronger and like magic it is so!!

Now, stop being literal Hitler.

Although I am just a bear, I heard women and children were more likely to survive the titanic sinking

If I had to guess, this study neglected to mention that the men were continuing to work during famine, and giving most of their food share to the women and children.

Yeah, women take it on the chin better than men

Is the difference in the one study 17 yo vs 22 yo statistically significant?

My sense is that during certain stressors women could be deemed tougher. They seem to be just fine living 20 years or more past their mate's passing away. Men don't do so well, even those who can care for themselves.

Part of it may be how women form little groups more easily. Men don't want to get together after the death of a spouse and knit or play pinocle.

The two X chromosomes idea is interesting but not sure how that plays out.

TheBearStare - Although I am just a bear, I heard women and children were more likely to survive the titanic sinking

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

This gets me every single time!

This discussion is retarded. She points to a bunch of unrelated phenotypes in females to try and form a net score of hardiness that is arbitrarily defined and clearly altered ad-hoc as she forms her argument. Gross. I hope he weak EB ass is thrown to the curb.

As the vastly superior bear intelligence of thebearstare has already pointed out, females are more likely to survive disasters due to the virtually universal gender roles that become only stronger defined in times of crisis. Even funnier, at a cursory glance, this dumb bitch's epidemiological data set seems largely derived from times or countries where gender roles would have been *concrete*. Women were a resource, not a defender and provider.

Also how fucking unscientific to make a comment like, "“Women are just more determined: men give up quicker when the going gets tough. Women find it much harder to die when in the final stages, and often hang on in there well past the point at which males have given up and gone." I hope she gets lost in the woods and eaten by those same wolves that fucked Liam Neeson up.

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -

Wow... How have I never seen that!?

WidespreadPanic -

Is the difference in the one study 17 yo vs 22 yo statistically significant?

My sense is that during certain stressors women could be deemed tougher. They seem to be just fine living 20 years or more past their mate's passing away. Men don't do so well, even those who can care for themselves.

Part of it may be how women form little groups more easily. Men don't want to get together after the death of a spouse and knit or play pinocle.

The two X chromosomes idea is interesting but not sure how that plays out.

That's only really relevant fo

TheBearStare - Although I am just a bear, I heard women and children were more likely to survive the titanic sinking
This sums up my thoughts in a more clever and humorous way. +1 to this

Exactly... the men are more than likely to provide the little they have for women and children during life threatening times.

United Yorkie Rescue - 
TheBearStare - Although I am just a bear, I heard women and children were more likely to survive the titanic sinking

Were there any bears on the Titanic?

I stumbled across some photgraphic evidence.

Unfortunately, he was a brown bear, and did not survive.

He was honored at Titanic museum.

jcblass -

That assumes that the famine happens in a vacuum. The fact they require less calories to survive is meaningless if there are no men left near by to defend them.

This is like saying cats can live longer in a world with just mice... well duh...introduce dogs and wolves into the equation and we have a massive difference. 

Women require less calories, it just so happens they get all of those calories from the men who provide the food.  

MattyECB -

This discussion is retarded. She points to a bunch of unrelated phenotypes in females to try and form a net score of hardiness that is arbitrarily defined and clearly altered ad-hoc as she forms her argument. Gross. I hope he weak EB ass is thrown to the curb.

As the vastly superior bear intelligence of thebearstare has already pointed out, females are more likely to survive disasters due to the virtually universal gender roles that become only stronger defined in times of crisis. Even funnier, at a cursory glance, this dumb bitch's epidemiological data set seems largely derived from times or countries where gender roles would have been concrete. Women were a resource, not a defender and provider.

Also how fucking unscientific to make a comment like, "“Women are just more determined: men give up quicker when the going gets tough. Women find it much harder to die when in the final stages, and often hang on in there well past the point at which males have given up and gone." I hope she gets lost in the woods and eaten by those same wolves that fucked Liam Neeson up.

yeah

what kind of "study" includes that kind of crap in it?

I remmeber reading about lion prides and the male lions were pretty bad at hunting and took a good chunk of the female's food. the feminist scientist dorks in the 70's started deriding the male lions as lazy bullies. turns out with more current studies they were vital protection from hyenas. something like 80% of the kills lionesses made were stolen by hyenas without male lions around and only something like 10% were stolen with a male around.