Woman taken to 'wrong' hospital faces bankruptcy

I had no idea this could happen in America, people going bankrupt over hospital bills seems routine but this one is a real head scratcher.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/woman-taken-to-wrong-hospital-faces-bankruptcy/29648000

http://www.channel3000.com/news/woman-taken-to-wrong-hospital-faces-bankruptcy/29648000

Medicine/Health Care in America is big business, very big business.

That is awful.

i once got a kidney infection and passed out, woke up and drove myself to a hospital that refused me because my insurance didn't cover it.

'MURICA

That's why I always check to see what hospitals are covered under my insurance wherever I go.

Luckily, I have good insurance and that isn't an issue for the most part.

Yep, get sick, go bankrupt.  Murica...what a country.  

wasn't Obamacare supposed to fix this?

PatK - 

That's why I always check to see what hospitals are covered under my insurance wherever I go.

If you are unconscious, how can you be sure they'll take you to the right one?

Lol at this bullshit. There is a lot wrong with England but the NHS is amazing.

Free quality healthcare should be a right not a dollar value privilage. Phone Post 3.0

I once stacked my dirt bike showing off doing a wheelie up the road Infront of mates. Ambo to hospital. 5 nights 2 foot operations. PlayStation in my room. Didn't pay a cent.

Straya cunts Phone Post 3.0

Penguin of Death - Lol at this bullshit. There is a lot wrong with England but the NHS is amazing.

Free quality healthcare should be a right not a dollar value privilage. Phone Post 3.0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8497911.stm

lol @ ur confirmation bias

Yes, that shit is insane. I looked up a plan on the exchange, now keep in mind I'm a mid 20s male that makes 40k/yr. Some plans were 450 dollars/month, plus a 5000 dollar deductible before insurance pays a dime, plus copays after that. So basically in order for my insurance to cover anything I would have had to come out of pocket over 10,000, so about 1/4 of my income for an entire year.

My total medical expenses in the last 5 years sits at around $300.

So basically unless I had some sort of long term cancer treatment or an organ transplant, I'd never get to use it in a million years. Sorry system, I can't just sign you over an entire paycheck every month on the off chance I'll get sick. I would literally rather just die. Phone Post 3.0

chopiesel - I once stacked my dirt bike showing off doing a wheelie up the road Infront of mates. Ambo to hospital. 5 nights 2 foot operations. PlayStation in my room. Didn't pay a cent.

Straya cunts Phone Post 3.0
You did pay in higher taxes and outrageous housing prices and other higher cost of living. Phone Post 3.0

Mertvaya Ruka -
PatK - 

Lol Phone Post 3.0

Mertvaya Ruka - 
PatK - 

As I said, luckily I have good insurance and it isn't an issue.

Health insurance is incredibly expensive and frustrating. We had our first son without insursnce and paid cash up front to get the best deal. All told we paid $4200, the next year we had my wife on my insirance and were paying $450 a month to have her on. It costs us $4100 out of pocket because once you have insurance the hospitals will no longer haggle with you.

Honestly I dont expect to need that health insurance for another 20 or 30 years. If I took the 815 I pay a month for the kids and wife and invested it I would expect to be in a much better position that I will be by paying for health insurance. Phone Post 3.0

AlchemyIronworks - Yes, that shit is insane. I looked up a plan on the exchange, now keep in mind I'm a mid 20s male that makes 40k/yr. Some plans were 450 dollars/month, plus a 5000 dollar deductible before insurance pays a dime, plus copays after that. So basically in order for my insurance to cover anything I would have had to come out of pocket over 10,000, so about 1/4 of my income for an entire year.

My total medical expenses in the last 5 years sits at around $300.

So basically unless I had some sort of long term cancer treatment or an organ transplant, I'd never get to use it in a million years. Sorry system, I can't just sign you over an entire paycheck every month on the off chance I'll get sick. I would literally rather just die. Phone Post 3.0
This. I pay 95 bucks a month (super cheap, I know) but I haven't needed insurance in maybe five years.

I'd rather pay what I owe when I need it.
Than pay for since bullshit I might need Phone Post 3.0

Isn't hospital bills the #1 reason for bankruptcy? If so, it's an abomination.

Costs for services like MRI's and cat scans are out of control. A lot of people must just go without them and end up more injured. And the fact hospitals collude to ensure prices remain high is sickening (puns intended).

disbeliever - You never knew you could go bankrupt in America from medical bills? It happens sadly all of the time. The cost of services and procedures in this country is astronomical and sadly nothing is done about it.

Compare a procedure or a scan in America to other countries, and be prepared to cry and/or laugh Phone Post 3.0

I meant, I didn't know you could have insurance and still end up going bankrupt because not all hospitals are covered by your insurance.