Wonderboy Is Wondering About Slapping

1 Like

UFC welterweight Stephen Thompson has become the latest combat sports figure to speak out against the newly created Power Slap League.

Last month, Dana White‘s new combat creation debuted on TBS under a cloud of controversy that has only expanded and darkened as footage of the action in the Power Slap League has spread online.

From MMA fighters and professional boxers to fans and pundits, criticism of the activity, which many refuse to acknowledge as a sport, has been widespread. Slap fighting sees two individuals exchanging slaps until one is either knocked out or concedes defeat.

Since the league’s debut, it’s come under fire for hosting a form of fighting that eliminates the possibility of defense. At a time when awareness surrounding CTE, concussions, and brain trauma is increasing, slap fighting has been branded by medical professionals as detrimental to growing safety efforts in combat sports.

That sentiment has been shared by numerous athletes, including UFC Bantamweight Champion Aljamain Sterling and rising boxing star Ryan Garcia, who revealed their negative takes on the Power Slap League on social media.

The latest to give their thoughts on the league, which is receiving frequent promotion on the UFC’s official channels having been formed by the organization’s president, is two-time welterweight title challenger Thompson.

Unsurprisingly, having spent years honing his striking offense and defense to become one of the most elite standup fighters inside the Octagon, “Wonderboy” doesn’t understand the logic behind slap fighting.

Thompson: ‘Slap Fighting Is Not Entertaining’

During a recent episode of the What’s Up Everybody?! podcast, Thompson assessed the Power Slap League, which recently announced its inaugural pay-per-view event for the UFC Apex on March 11.

Like many, the #6-ranked UFC welterweight contender questioned the aim and appeal behind an activity that promotes inevitable damage. He also pointed to one recent instance of a slap fighter’s face becoming heavily swollen on one side, insisting that it’s not “entertaining.”

“(It’s) crazy. I just feel like you don’t have to be a professional athlete to slap-fight,” Thompson said. “I don’t even know why. You’re going into a sport knowing that you’re going (to get hit). Like, when you’re fighting, I can block, I can move my head; there’s a lot of things I can do to prevent from getting hit. But (with this), you’re walking out there like, you’re going to get hit. And what’s (more) demoralizing than getting slapped?

“What are they getting paid? That one guy whose whole entire side of his face was swollen… I don’t even find it entertaining. It’s not that entertaining. I don’t know. It caters to the people that just want to see people get knocked out, that’s it. Some knockout fetish,” Thompson continued. “There is skill involved, talent, hard work (in MMA). What you gonna do (in slap fighting)? Build your slapping arm? Condition your hand? Are there training camps? It’s so bad.”

Critics received more ammo when UFC veteran Eric Spicely gave an insight into how much money he was offered to appear in the Power Slap League. “Zebrinha” claimed the deal would have seen him receive just $2,000 to show and $2,000 to win for his first match.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This is the most sense Aljo has made since March 6, 2021.

:rofl:

I dont like slap fighting, but I don’t get my panties all twisted up about it.

It’s all voluntary. Don’t watch it, don’t participate in it. Move on with life.

2 Likes

I sort of agree but as fans of the UFC, you really can’t just ignore it. It is being pushed hard by the UFC marketing machine and it will continue to be pushed to during UFC broadcasts. Plus now they’re having slap PPVs which will impact UFC broadcast schedules, as well.

100s of them will be in A & E something really bad will happen. It’s fucked up.

It should of been Armwrestling it would be good to see them get paid

1 Like

Its 2 weeks new . All the hype for weeks. Dana owned. Did you think it would fly under the radar ?

True, actually interesting to watch, a bit “deeper” sport