Work Update - Need advice

Hey Fellas,

So I am super busy with work. I have taken on my former managers responsibility, and the top brass is slowly giving me more and more. This isn't a problem, I am more than up for the challenge.

The problem is I lost the last non-deployed member of my team. There is currently a hiring freeze so I can't hire replacements yet. They are assuring me ill be able to start hiring people end of may.

Herein lies another problem. We are MONTHS behind on our testing, and some people up top were not aware of the situation with my team and had un realistic expectations about when the work would be done. I had to pretty much give them the bad news that we are way behind schedule however we have a third party company coming in to help.

So anyway, long story short, I was speaking to a coworker on a different team who was on the same team im on last year. He said I should start updating my resume and see what options I have outside of the company. He says he wouldn't be surprised if they completely outsource my team along with a few others. He's a smart dude so I took his advice.

I updated my resume and just started poking around. I got three interview offers in the first 2 days at big name companies in my area.

Thing is, I don't want to jump ship. Not yet. I will have a decent chance of turning this team around and actually making it into something that helps and grows the company. But the way things are going, the cards are HEAVILY stacked against me, and it will be a stressful, long nights uphill battle. But fuck, if I pull this off, ill be a fuckin hero.

BUT

Back to those interviews. Whats the protocol if I want to go on a few, and just see whats out there? Information Digging if you will. Do I jump ship if I get a way better offer or hang on for a bit to see what happens?

You will always be better off finding a better job while still employed. You are more attractive to prospective employers and can negotiate with more confidence. Your current employer will dump you as soon as it makes sense to outsource you position and will never consider you or your family when making that decision. Unfortunately, loyalty is rarely reciprocated in the workplace. So, take the interviews and get yourself a promotion and a raise.

Nothing of substance to add but bump. 

sapphire street -

You will always be better off finding a better job while still employed. You are more attractive to prospective employers and can negotiate with more confidence. Your current employer will dump you as soon as it makes sense to outsource you position and will never consider you or your family when making that decision. Unfortunately, loyalty is rarely reciprocated in the workplace. So, take the interviews and get yourself a promotion and a raise.

100%

Only think of the company's interests if they align with yours because I know for sure that most, if not all companies do not and will not put employees' interests above theirs.

Go to the interviews. If you find a good STABLE job I would say - take it.

From what you described about your Job over the last several months I think there is a very little chance of upside.

What's the best scenario? You get stuck doing tons of work that your former manager was doing for much higher pay? You are still way behind deadline and senior management is not going to be happy. Plus there is a strong chance of outsourcing.

If the companies that r interested in you are larger than the one you are currently with, then why not jump ship, more room to grow career wise

First response nails it.

Pay a few hundred a week and outsource the work to India.

Come out looking like a hero.

Update resume.

Demand higher pay while applying elsewhere.

Train Sumo - How long have you been working for that company?
I believe it's only been a few months

Be selfish, if someone offers you something better take it and don't look back.

Been here 3 months, getting put on as an employee and getting 30k a year bump. The upside to staying and toughing it out is that I could create a stable team and gain a ton of leadership experience.

If things get worse I can jump ship at any time really.

Train Sumo - How long have you been working for that company?

This is a very relevant question. You don't want a history of being an disloyal hire because you're constantly jumping from opportunity to opportunity without giving your current employer time. 

I am not saying you shouldn't leave, especially if the new opportunity is much better or your current situation is bad. But it's ideal to stay on a job for 2 years to show that you don't jump ship. Companies will see the constant job changes as a red flag that you'll do it to them too eventually. 

That's a great point as well, although I am a contractor so it's not unheard of.

What field are we talking about here?

Cutty McButts - What field are we talking about here?
Human trafficking

Cutty McButts - What field are we talking about here?

Can you add some more details, type of work, what field are you in, current position?

I'm just amazed you're actually employed

Cutty McButts - What field are we talking about here?
Penetration testing. XXL line.

LOL. I work in IT Security. Title is Security Engineer II - Penetration Testing Team Manager.

seg - I'm just amazed you're actually employed

That makes two of us.