Working from India again

TheHebrewHammer - Just back from a honey moon in India.
Good luck OP, remember to pray every morning for whatever God you believe in to survive India Phone Post 3.0

Congrats on the marriage and on surviving India!!!!

It's definitely an interesting place to visit.

HotSteppa - 1) Stay with family or TOP hotels
2) ALWAYS boil water. Always.
3) Avoid street food like the plague
4) If caught outside in near of liquid replenishment, ONLY drink soda in bottles.
5) Buy one of those water filters from a camping store (portable) that kills both bacteria AND viruses in water.(some are only good for bacteria) OR water capsules that kill bacteria AND viruses.
6) Bring a compactable "cup" with you, as well as plastic utensils. I saw someone once that had a foldable plastic plate but that is excessive.
7) Don't go without malaria shots
8) If the place you go to doesn't have mosquito netting for beds - buy some.
9) Wear cool LONG sleeve cotton pant and shirts (and wear undershirts) for sun management - don't be a douche tourist in shorts)

10) Be careful of scooter/taxi drivers. Some are 100% honest, some will try to take you long way, some are criminals.

11) At outdorr markets, bazars, shhops ALWAYS BARTER, it is expected and be willing to walk away from anything.

12) Ignore all of this, eat what you want, where you want, drink local water, get sick for first 2 weeks and then enjoy trip!!

doesnt sound too enticing for one to travel to india

i know they have some majestic natural landscapes and such......i jsut cant imagine why i would ever visit, esp one of the major cities

wtf...

why is India so fucking dirty?

Rhymenoceros - 
hubris - wtf...

There are some major ways it's dirty. Here are the reasons why off the top of my head.

First, it's dirty because there are just shitloads of animals here walking around. There are three major types: Cows, dogs, and Indian dudes. They just do whatever they want, piss where ever they want, and shit where ever they want. There are also, off the top of my head, goats, pigs, buffalo, cats, chickens, and other animals just wandering around, but cows, dogs, and dudes are the worst offenders. No kidding, in the past few weeks I've seen 20 Indian dudes just pissing in the streets in the middle of crowded cities. 20 is the official count, not an estimate.

Second, it's just a dirty culture overall. Most people who don't live in slums and huts keep their homes very clean, but once they set foot outside they just throw any old garbage anywhere they want. No one cleans any of it up, and there are mountains of litter and rubble that dot the cities. Cows and dogs eat a lot of it, which is gross. The country seems very resistant to modern sanitation efforts, which leads me to my third point.

Third, it's a country with over a billion people, and a sizable percentage is ok with shitting outside as their normal course of habit. My wife and I were trying to buy some fruit, and we had to bail on a fruit vendor because he had parked his cart near a big ole human shit. It might have been his - I don't know. It smelled like a diet coke poured into a vaporized fart. Somehow he didn't think setting up shop next to a massive human shit would be bad for business. Today our driver did a K turn to turn around on a busy road, and as he hit the apex of the K turn we were head-on with a very fat woman who was squatting down, 10 feet from the road, taking a shit. She had a head like a fire hydrant, her saree was hiked up, and she was grunting out what looked like a banana covered with moly grease. It was a horror show. This was just outside the popular tourist town of Udaipur, by the way.

sounds lovely

Rhymenoceros - 
hubris - wtf...

There are some major ways it's dirty. Here are the reasons why off the top of my head.

First, it's dirty because there are just shitloads of animals here walking around. There are three major types: Cows, dogs, and Indian dudes. They just do whatever they want, piss where ever they want, and shit where ever they want. There are also, off the top of my head, goats, pigs, buffalo, cats, chickens, and other animals just wandering around, but cows, dogs, and dudes are the worst offenders. No kidding, in the past few weeks I've seen 20 Indian dudes just pissing in the streets in the middle of crowded cities. 20 is the official count, not an estimate.

Second, it's just a dirty culture overall. Most people who don't live in slums and huts keep their homes very clean, but once they set foot outside they just throw any old garbage anywhere they want. No one cleans any of it up, and there are mountains of litter and rubble that dot the cities. Cows and dogs eat a lot of it, which is gross. The country seems very resistant to modern sanitation efforts, which leads me to my third point.

Third, it's a country with over a billion people, and a sizable percentage is ok with shitting outside as their normal course of habit. My wife and I were trying to buy some fruit, and we had to bail on a fruit vendor because he had parked his cart near a big ole human shit. It might have been his - I don't know. It smelled like a diet coke poured into a vaporized fart. Somehow he didn't think setting up shop next to a massive human shit would be bad for business. Today our driver did a K turn to turn around on a busy road, and as he hit the apex of the K turn we were head-on with a very fat woman who was squatting down, 10 feet from the road, taking a shit. She had a head like a fire hydrant, her saree was hiked up, and she was grunting out what looked like a banana covered with moly grease. It was a horror show. This was just outside the popular tourist town of Udaipur, by the way.

holy fucking hell

Rhymenoceros - 
hubris - wtf...

Yup.

And many times they wipe their ass with their hand after a shit and then "rinse" the hand.

Country of savages

Watch out for cobras Phone Post 3.0