Workouts to prevent injury

I am in need of a relatively short (less than 40 minutes) stability workout recommendation to do maybe 2-3 times a week.

My goal with these workouts is to prevent injury by being more flexible and stronger, specifically my legs, shoulders and lower back, the last especially for biking in a low position.

The yoga classes at the university filled up by the time I signed up, though I could do yoga exercises on my own. However, I could just go use the university gym which lots of nice equipment or do some bodyweight stuff at home also.

Anybody in the know have any recommendations?

Yoga.

I used to be a pretty competitive cyclist, and looking back at my experiences I believe the one thing that would have been of the most benefit would have been to incorporate yoga into my training.

If for whatever reason you can't go to formal yoga classes full time and decide to use a DVD for home practice, then I would still recommend to take at least a week of formal classes in order to get at least some basic instruction on the poses. Many yoga studios will offer an introductory week of classes at a decent $ rate. Your local YMCA may also offer free yoga classes, and the monthly rate there may be cheaper than a week at a yoga studio.

I know you probably don't want to pay for another membership (Y or yoga studio) when you've already got access to a gym, but it may be worth it just for a week or month in order to get more out of the time investment you'll be making.

You might also want to check out

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Season-Training-Cyclists-Ultimate-Velopress/dp/1884737404

Though I have not seen this book, Edmund Burke is very highly regarded in cycling circles. He also wrote Serious Cycling--I have a copy in storage, so unfortunately can't tell you whether or not off-bike training routines are addressed.

Hope this helps
Stampy

I've done pilates and yoga regularly in the past, so I guess doing a basic routine by myself a few times a week won't kill me.

I won't be able to fit in a weight training routine even in the offseason as it won't let me recover enough to maintain my training volume, especially if I want to hit 50 miles a week of running.

"I've done pilates and yoga regularly in the past, so I guess doing a basic routine by myself a few times a week won't kill me."

Your enthusiasm for yoga is overwhelming :)

I've got pretty much the same attitude--I know it would be good for me, but I have such a difficult time incorporating it into my schedule.

Are you a duathlete or triathlete, or do the sports separately?

triathlete, but in my 8 year hiatus from the sport I continued doing all the sports separately, especially biking.

"...If for whatever reason you can't go to formal yoga classes full time and decide to use a DVD for home practice, then I would still recommend to take at least a week of formal classes in order to get at least some basic instruction on the poses..."

This.

I'd also investigate some posture and mobility training.

Turkish get ups, back extensions (done CORRECTLY), dumbbell twist, deadlift dumbbell twists, Romanian deadlifts.

I don't know.  It's a broad subject, and other than offering a million and one exercises that may or may not work for you, I'll just stay that in terms of your core, don't make the mistake that most others make, which is only focusing on ab work.  You need to train all of the angles of the core/back. 

This post doesn't make any real sense, but I took the time to write, so goddamnit, it's going up!

Sounds obvious, but for biking, if you haven't already, make sure the one you're using is the proper size for your body.

Seems mundane, but even being hunched over an extra inch or two makes a difference.

^^^^^as usual, good stuff WaltJ

^ Thanks, man.

WaltJ - Sounds obvious, but for biking, if you haven't already, make sure the one you're using is the proper size for your body.

Seems mundane, but even being hunched over an extra inch or two makes a difference.

I do almost no abwork, but I have started doing light deadlifts (under 250 lbs) and various bodyweight stuff and yoga. My bikes all fit fine, my road bike is set up super relaxed right now for winter training.

I've had major, near life changing improvements in my shoulders (AC, Rotator Cuff, tendonitis, bursitis) from Pavel's SuperJoints workout.

"my road bike is set up super relaxed right now for winter training."

Till recently I lived in the PNW. You have my sympathies for winter training there :)

stampy - "my road bike is set up super relaxed right now for winter training."

Till recently I lived in the PNW. You have my sympathies for winter training there :)

It isn't that bad. I usually don't ride for 3-4 months and just lift and ski. This year I need to try and carry over the fitness so I just got one of those kurt kinetic trainers so I can train in the basement.