World COmbat League ?

Explain this concept to me.

It is on VS.

Sarah Ponce is part of it.

kind of like the ifl, with mixed-striking rules. i don't think knees to the head or elbows are legal, but all other strikes are allowed. 3 5 minutes rounds, i think, and you fight for points for the team portion of the competition, with a possible max of 15 points scored for koing or tkoing your opponent.

pretty cool show, imo. kinda cheesy, but fun.

Chuck Norris put it together. Picture IFL team concept except kickboxing(close to K1 rules). 1 round fights with two halves and fighters are penalized for inactivity, within seconds!

One 3 minute Round.Fighters fight each other twice.Unless1 fighter gets injured or is replaced.

I went to thier first or second show in Conneticut. They had some wack-ass dj(like last night) sreaming out "DID YOU LIKE THAT KICK, HOW ABOUT THAT PUNCH" all throughout the fight. Most of the crowd walked out. It seems to be catching on.

long pants= gay, imo

WCL is the AFL is combat sports.

a friend of mine fought sarah ponce

boringgggggggggggggggg

"boringgggggggggggggggg"

Totally agree

It's on a par with the weekend warrior karate tournaments I used to go to when I was a kid. One in three competetors are in shape, lots of TKD rejects hopping up and down.

"long pants= gay, imo"

long pants are to hide the shin guards. Why wear them at a pro level?

it's fairly entertaining. the only problem is that dudes keep on getting DQ'd for doing spinning backfists and hitting with the forearm.

it's fun to watch but it gets boring fast.

Date: 06/03/07 05:08 PM
3863 Total Posts Ignore User

"Kind of like the ifl, with mixed-striking rules. i don't think knees to the head or elbows are legal, but all other strikes are allowed. 3 5 minutes rounds, i think, and you fight for points for the team portion of the competition, with a possible max of 15 points scored for koing or tkoing your opponent."

Um, no. Knees to the head and body are legal. Knees to the legs are not. Leg kicks are allowed.

There is a high mandate on action and clinching and leg trapping are not allowed. A fighter is penalized quickly for stalling or only evading as opposed to engaging in action.

There are two halves to each competition with each fighter on the team fighting one three minute round per half. So, each fighter does a total of two three minute rounds. All scores from all matches are totaled to determine the winning team.

15 points are scored for a knockout, but that is not the maximum number of points that can be attained in each round. Theoretically the points that can be scored in a round are unlimited. Also, if there is a rules infraction the fouling fighter does not lose a point, but instead his opponent gains one.

I like to watch it. It looks pretty fun.

sarah Ponce is a cutie!!!

Cut WCL some slack, it's more full contact martial arts on tv. I've seen some very exciting WCL fights, and some very boring mma fights, so...

fun and exciting concept. however...

"Um, no. Knees to the head and body are legal. Knees to the legs are not. Leg kicks are allowed."

they carefully tweaked the rules to keep it looking karate, and keep the thai guys out. "leg kicks can neither begin or end a combination" (paraphrased from offhand memeory) --- WTF!

Pisses me off that they allow knees, but you are not allowed to clinch to land said knees which can be half the force of said strike. Sounds like old TKD point fighters don't want to be pissing blood for a week from a bout against someone with a thai background.

I've watched it a few times on Versus. I've seen quite a few boring fights, but I've also seen some incredibleknockouts, too. Overall, it fairly good.