world sambo federation?

Samatikan, good post.

I really have very little problem with many of you on this or the other thread. I enjoy training, and a good prtion of my life revolves around the MMA fighting and martial arts in general. Therefore, the fact that ANY of you enjoy MMA and submission grappling of any style makes us fairly like minded. Sometimes the fact that this is simply a forum and it's more entertaining to read a flame war makes people type things they normally wouldn't say in person. *A good example of this is how difficult it is to get people to post on a thread I start about actual techniques, but we'll get 200 posts in a war with Quincy and Bravo*
Now, regardless of what "style" you think Doc's submission is, Sambo or whatever, this thread wasn't even ABOUT traditional sambo...it was a direct question about the WSF. The VERY FIRST response was an insult to pordash. OF COURSE he'll get on and be pissed. This guy wanted to know about the WSF.
the tournament was a great time and a success, BTW, and it has NOTHING to do with what this guy wanted to know... As for him, I did BJJ for over 5 years before joining the WSF. I also still do Muy Tai and enjoy training with Shawn White or Jermaine Andre (both members and chartering schools of the WSF) to improve. Doc incorporate all these styles..including BJJ, Judo, Wrestling (very important) and Muy tai into his Sambo to make it that much more effective...bringing it back to what Sambo was originally intended to be in the first place (This is simply my understanding of course) and the fact that there are belts (as was mentioned by Jacques and even Sonnon himself as being a good thing for Sambo) shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with whether this guy could learn alot from the WSF.
He would.

Just my thoughts.

"I also still do Muy Tai"

It's muay Thai not Muy Tai

Muay means fighting/boxing
Thai mean from Thailand

You can also find it spelled as muy thai. It's phonetic and there is probably no "right" way to write it in english. If you take the spanish pronounciation of Thailand (Tailandia) and apply the phonetic to it, then it's conceivable that "tai" is OK.

Great post McLeod!

"You can also find it spelled as muy thai"

You can also probably find recipe spelt resepee. Doesn't make it right.

And yes there is one way to transliterate Muay Thai, and that is the correct way. If you are bothering to learn an art at least learn to spell the freaking name right.

Comedian. I can understand your perspective. I have no problem with some of the other people feeling the same way except they were disrespectful in their remarks initially, creating the type of foramic atmosphere that we are now dealing with. But I won't put up with the types of insults and poor dimeanor from those idiots. I appreciate your candor. All I can say is what I posted in the last discussion...that sambo was intended to conglomerate 30 martial arts at it's earlier hybridization. We choose to keep the same pattern by adding the most effective techniques fro mother effective modern styles of fighting. Read Dr.Brett Jacques post. I know Brett and he's very knowledgeable in sambo's origins.
Samatikan: Good post.
Samboboy: Tomato/to-mado
Faxia: who are you? Not that I care but don't put up a post like that and not reveal yourself. I'm sure you're someone very important.

I may not have been spelling MUAY THAI correctly, but at least I'm not Orange Cat. :)

BTW: Faxia... not only are you being rude, but this is coming from someone who thinks that Yoshida is going to school Don frey in NHB with or without a gi. You were kidding right? :)

winning the master division, or taking 3rd in it, does nto qualify somebody as a "US National judo champion." it qualifies somebody as a "pretty good older player." name a top-notch player (besides doug tono and leo white) who feel a need to compete in a masters category...?

truth of the matter is that the master categories are for fun. they are for guys who love judo and who are just out there to train, have some fun, and do judo. they are not out there to make the olympic team.

dont brag about having trained a guy who placed in the masters category and who the Ohio State Games.. it is sad... i am sure the fella is a good guy and i am sure he loves judo like none other. but you embarass him by saying you trained him to a national championship level.
Ohio hasnt had a single person even medal (far as i can recall) in the senior divisions in a logn time at the US Nationals. they produce some good players and they are not a weak state, but dont continue making false claims like that. it makes you look like a fool.

-Resnick
ps.. isnt it amazing how i can make one little post and piss off all these people all over again..? god, i love being me. lol. some people are just too sensative. hahaha.

glock4life,

The answer to your original question is yes they are legit.
I use to train with Dr. Pordash when his school was located where I live. This is a great organization with a great teacher. Unless you are a 50 year old judo guy that is stuck in 1975 you will like it. It is great training and great for the sport of MMA.

JoshResnick is correct. Another point: There are plenty of divisions and "national championships" that someone can compete in and win, but that does not make them the "national champion". A perfect example for me down here in Texas is the Southwest Championships. A great tournament, and it attracts judoka from all over West Texas, Colorado, and New Mexico. But does winning that mean that a person is the best judoka in the entire American southwest? hardly.

"You can also probably find recipe spelt resepee. Doesn't make it right.

And yes there is one way to transliterate Muay Thai, and that is the correct way. If you are bothering to learn an art at least learn to spell the freaking name right."

Samboby, you can choose to be "right" or you can learn.

From " http://www.thai-language.com/default.asp?tab=3":

"Transliteration is the process of rendering the sound of a Thai word with a foreign alphabet. In general, it is a haphazard practice which suffers from many pitfalls:

There is no prevalant or standard system of transliteration in Thai, and many codified systems are inadequate.

Geographical names may have multiple different, widely-used transliterations.

Thai is a tonal language, and there is no predefined way to represent the five tones in Western alphabets.

There is no obvious way to represent the short versus long duration of Thai vowel sounds using a Western alphabet.

Many of the sounds used in the Thai language cannot be represented with a Western alphabet (or English regional phone set).

Different people pronounce a given word spelled in a Western alphabet differently. For example, American versus Australian versus British pronounciation.

Every phrase book, dictionary, guide book, tutorial, or Western text uses a different transliteration scheme."

If all you want to do is "be right", what can I say? Seems that all you want to do is join the rock-throwing by both sides.

[Edit]
Read your post on another thread, I take the previous statement back.
[End edit]

It is, or should be, pretty much common knowledge that transliteration is on a "best effort" basis an debatable at the least.

there's a joke in here about spelling BJJ s-a-m-b-o, but I just can't bring myself to make it.

Resnick, you're too stupid for me to waste my time with. You're posts will be ignored from now on. Again, I coached Joe for the AAU world sambo championships, not judo. Joe Murphy; what's your beef? Are you just out to pick a fight? Or are you mad because you're one of those guys I spoke of that suck on the ground?

hey - I'm the one who said you were jumped on unfairly in the beginning. but your crazy claims (and lack of sense of humor) set yourself up for ridicule.

and I am actually worse on my feet than I am on the ground, so that shoots your last theory all to hell.

The AAU DOES NOT HAVE A WORLD SAMBO CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!
the AAU is not a WORLDWIDE BODY so how could they possibly host an actual, legit world championship? if you want to argue this, name the top-level worldwide samboists that joe murphy beat to win it. you cant, because it is a bunch of crap and you know it!

you just proved yourself to be a lot less then you claim.

the AAU- Amateur Athletic Union- is a sport-governing body whose only charter is within the 50 states (doesnt even cover the US territories)!!! they cover several sports and provide a discounted insurance rate through it. they, however, are NOT the NGB (national governing body) for any of the olympic sports in the US. AKA-- they have no say in what happens with any of the sports in the Olympics whatsoever. That means, they are a second-rate plaudit in the sports world.
Now, how about this.. Is a judo guy, who was never much on the national judo scene, going to be good enough to go and win the World Sambo Championships. C'mon now. we are talking about judo in the US, not France or japan where the talent is deeper then Doc's claims.
something, just doesnt sound right to me. He is a champion judo guy who didnt do much as a senior, but with the Doc's help he won it all in sambo and none of us ever heard a lick about it until now...??

man, Doc. you are an outright liar. you are using a cheap, second-rate organization to try and further your own "standing." And, you have even bashed the AAU in some of your former posts, so how much do you expect any of us to believe you...?

lol. yes, i am stupid. far to stupid to be smart enough to be pulled in by your garbage-ass claims. ive had coaches 10 times greater then you will ever be in life. you might actually be a decent technical guy and get some people who dont know much better to believe in you, but thats it. sorry you cannot face the facts of your own limitations.

you, my friend, are never going to be top-notch. sorry.

-Resnick

haha - now I'm a world sambo champ? wtf? now THAT would be a crazy claim.

For clarification to anyone who cares...the world sambo championships that took place on June 28th, 2000 in Dayton, Ohio had 23 countries representing on ten mats. It was a FIAS World Championship, not an AAU championship as I stated. Some people are just too anal. My mistake. I'm sure Anyone who cares can look it up on the net somewhere to see that it took place. Sorry Resnick; your theory is wrong. Also, please pay attention to detail when someone writes something...he took THIRD in the world that day, not first. And you helped me make my point that a decent judo player can be an excellent sambo player.

get your facts stright first then Doc.
and.. everybody knows that there is a second worldwide sambo federation and it is generally seen as being a whole lot tougher. the federatioin you speak of hardly gets any participation from the former soviet bloc-- which maks no sense to have a world championships without the nation or origin... hmph...

go figure.

-Resnick

joshua, i think you meant joe schmidt. i don't think wolfhound, i mean joemurphy, has met Dr. Podash.

resnick wrote:

"perhaps if you owuld just answer the 1 question i had for you from the other thread i woldnt mind so much. but you made too many false claims (namely about how you have several judo champions in your schools who you have trained) and need to be classed out on them."

WSF replied:

"Resnick; not that you deserve an answer due to your crude comments but I'll restate the name of one of my students that is a five time national judo champion. JOE SCHMIDT"

"Resnick, you're too stupid for me to waste my time with. You're posts will be ignored from now on. Again, I coached Joe for the AAU world sambo championships, not judo."

i still don't understand if joe smith is a national judo champion that wsf trained to become a sambo champion. the logic eludes me.

anyhow:

"We are lucky to have San Jose State guys like Dave Williams, Josh Resnick, John Serbin, et al. posting on this forum. It has really improved since their arrival. "

Osaekomi is correct.