Worried about the superviruses from oversanitizing

The overuse of hand sanitizer, Lysol and such that is happening  right now is going to bring on some serious shit when bacteria and viruses mutate or resistant strains are able to flourish without competition.  It's been many years since I sat in a microbiology course, but this scenario of over sanitization was exactly what we learned not to do.

Yep.  Brought this up awhile back. 

 

We are gonna get MRSA that will fuck your mom before it kills you.

What if it turns out this virus came about from the Wuhan lab oversanitizing? 

Hell yeah. Keep talking to the wife about the super resistant mutant Virus or bacteria that’s going to come from this. I remember they always said not to overuse  that stuff or antibiotics and now it’s a free for all.

Aren't superviruses dangerous because they are resistant to antibiotics? Most sanitising is done with bleach or alcohol which simply destroys germs similarly to the way boiling water does. I think they're working on completely different methods that don't cross over.

Use of  the vast majority of sanitizers doesnt contribute to bacterial resistance at all. 

I always thought about this . Does the virus mutant overtime from over sanitation or is it just one strand will mutant overnight ? This is scary shit

takedownandsub -

Use of  the vast majority of sanitizers doesnt contribute to bacterial resistance at all. 

Correct.


Agents like 70% alcohol or soap are designed to disrupt membranes in general and would not lead to specific resistance.  Same goes with bleach, which is why it’s such a good disinfectant.


Antibacterial agents like Chlorhexidine, povidone/iodine or triclosan are in the middle ground.  A few reports of some resistance development, but not a lot.  Still, not good to overuse these.


Antibiotics or organism specific agents can definitely lead to resistance via mutation, and will.


So, keep using soap, hand disinfectant and bleach. Only use antibiotics as prescribed (and know that an antibacterial doesn’t work against a virus).

1 Like

.

I don't think it related to becoming resistent to antibiotics but...

 

 

First the researchers compared 139 types of bacteria, looking at the same strains over a 19-year stretch — from 1997 to 2015. As time passed, the bacteria evolved to tolerate alcohol better. To be exact, bacteria collected after 2009 were 10 times more tolerant than pre-2004 bacteria — which corresponds to the national push to use more hand sanitizers.

 

...

 

"If you're washing your hands less because that alcohol-based hand sanitizer makes you feel confident that your hands are clean," Price says, "all of a sudden you can become a vehicle for alcohol-resistant organisms."

The research is still clear that alcohol-based hand sanitizers are more effective at battling some bacteria, like those causing staph infections. However, this study indicates that other bacteria are best cleaned off with simple soap and water.

"It's the physical action of lifting and moving them off your skin, and letting them run down the drain," Price says.

"We have to be careful about this new trend towards heavy reliance on alcohol-based hand sanitizers," Price continues. "Soap and water should be our number-one protection" — both in hospitals and for personal use.

 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/08/02/635017716/some-bacteria-are-becoming-more-tolerant-of-hand-sanitizers-study-finds

Meals Hitman -

The overuse of hand sanitizer, Lysol and such that is happening  right now is going to bring on some serious shit when bacteria and viruses mutate or resistant strains are able to flourish without competition.  It's been many years since I sat in a microbiology course, but this scenario of over sanitization was exactly what we learned not to do.

Use of hand sanitizer just means we never came into contact with a virus and thus never developed anti bodies to fight it. 
usually young kids at school pass around diseases and viruses and then develop an immunity to fight it naturally 


 

LOL I didn’t say it was going to be antibiotic resistant because you overuse Clorox wipes. I just said I’ve always heard not to over use antibiotics for the reason you guys are mentioning. I thought I had ALSO heard you shouldn’t overuse antibacterial soaps and things like that for similar types of reasons. But no clue so thanks for the info. 

I made a threaded about this and got shit on