Worst Execution of Best Source Material

My wife recently got me watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and thus far it's excellent. However, I know the live action movie is supposed to be trash (though I still plan on watching it so I can fully grasp the hate it receives).

Made me wonder about other films/shows that screwed the pooch despite having really good source material. I would say GoT, but it was great until they ran out of source material. The Hobbit trilogy comes to mind, but it also had some decent moments too. 

What are some other examples?

WWZ

3 Likes

Michael Bay's Transformers and the GI Joe movies also come to mind. 

2 Likes

“Wanted” - was a terrible adaptation of the comic

Every Fantastic Four Movie so far.  How they could miss so badly when they have Dr Doom, arguably Marvel’s best villain, is beyond me

Dark Phoenix - one of the most amazing stories in comics that has shaped decades of story telling just thrown in the trash.  

3 Likes

Dont watch it trust me.avatar last Airbender was fantastic. Avatar legend of Korra was meh but not terrible the movie is in a whole different realm with how bad it is you will be literally angry that you wasted the time.

1 Like

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

It's also the WORST film ever made. Imo

4 Likes

awilson82 -

WWZ

This. 

They should have made that shit an HBO or Netflix series with each episode being another chapter/short story with an overall arc. Would have been incredible. Battle for Yonkers and that one about the pilot that crashes (YankeesFan?) would have been worth the price of admission. 

punchdrunkMMA - 

Michael Bay's Transformers and the GI Joe movies also come to mind. 

I remember transformers being like

Just Shia and that hot chick running around through metal vomit, interspersed with like US military stock footage.

The Dark Tower
Ender's Game
The Point Break remake

2 Likes

Nitecrawler - 
awilson82 -

WWZ

This. 

They should have made that shit an HBO or Netflix series with each episode being another chapter/short story with an overall arc. Would have been incredible. Battle for Yonkers and that one about the pilot that crashes (YankeesFan?) would have been worth the price of admission. 

I've only listened to part of the audiobook, but from what little I have listened to...wow. They're basically not even the same thing.

Dune (1984)

1 Like

"Dark Phoenix - one of the most amazing stories in comics that has shaped decades of story telling just thrown in the trash."

Yeah?  Well maybe it's they'd called them X-WOMEN...

Starship Troopers

The movie was enjoyable but was nothing like the source material. They should have named it something else. 

AnthonyWeiner - The Dark Tower
Ender's Game
The Point Break remake

Water World

That Mars movie that bombed.

Dune 

Newest Star Wars

awilson82 -

WWZ

I would love to see a series, chapter by chapter culminating with the 2hr finale. Hearing "the trooper" blasting in the final battle would make up for those chomper zombies.

90% of Stephen King movies/shows

Wiggy -
Nitecrawler - 
awilson82 -

WWZ

This. 

I've only listened to part of the audiobook, but from what little I have listened to...wow. They're basically not even the same thing.

Been a while since I read the book, but I belive the movie was a prequel to the book and Brad Pitts character was the guy who went around interviewing people during the aftermath and collecting the stories that were in the book. 

Book was much much better though. 

Last twenty minutes of The Mist.

Godzilla 2000

I Am Legend

molsonman -

Starship Troopers

The movie was enjoyable but was nothing like the source material. They should have named it something else. 

It was a parody of the book which is why the author had his name completely removed from the film.

Movie was great though as was the book. Heinlein is one of my favorites 

Also wwz was not even close