Worst Grappling Tournament

What the HELL was that? I am not specifically affiliated with any one grappling school or organisation, but there are many out there that I respect and admire. After the catastrophy I witnessed today I am ashamed and disgusted for all the legitimate jiu-jitsu schools who are at the mercy of the CJA. This is not an attack on the organisers of this event as it is apparent that they have there own priorities and agenda. But PLEASE in the future let competitors and fans be aware that they will be subject to watching a bunch of overweight dustfarters stroking each others cock, before any real athletism can take place.*** I APPOLOGIZE... that was very rude, but I am extremly frustrated. Why did we have to watch the Canadian Jiu-Jitsu team compete against each other in a flop-dick slapfest? SERIOUSLY... why didn't they just compete with everyone else or atleast in the privacy of there own gym. I was there for 6 hours and saw nothing remotely resembling jiu-jitsu. PHEW... once I calm down I'll begin more apologies...I AM JUST SO SAD FOR THE STATE OF GRAPPLING IN ONTARIO.

so how was the turn out to this event? besides the dick slapping

The majority of people that came to grapple left. In fact I am not sure if there was even an adult grappling division as they were pressed for time. The Continuos Slapfest was supposed to start at 12 for adults, it didn't get under way till close to 5.

Wow; I'm glad I didn't go. Last year I showed up for 8AM, and didn't step onto the mats until about 3:30PM. Jeez, I even GRAPPLED on crappy fold-out mats while people point-fought on quality wrestling mats. I am not going to knock the TJJ aspect of the event (as it is totally valid and worthwhile), but making grapplers show up at 10AM to weigh-in, then having them wait until 5PM to fight is ridiculous. To boot, it is the most expensive tournament to go to.

The CJA tournament should split their days, so that one day is devoted to the TJJ style fighting, and the other day is devoted to grappling. This is the reason why so many people are reluctant to shell out the bucks for a CJA membership, as well as to compete. If this tourney was well-organized and efficiently run, it would be a different story, and I would hapily pay the money.

As is, the grappling part of the tourney always seems to be treated like the CJA's red-headed stepchild, and that is a shame...

I was going to make the drive from Toronto to watch the grappling but instead decided to do some work in the backyard. It sounds like I made the right decison.

All they really need to do is talk to the good folk from Joslins for some advice on running a grappling tournament properly and efficiently.

I agree this was the worst run tournament I have ever been to. Our entire school drove over an hour to get there and wait then due to work schedules we had to leave without competing. I can honestly say I will never go to this tournament again!!!

HTM: I hope that they were at least gracious enough to refund your fees due to this.

Joslins are a bunch of great guys. I missed class today because the club was going to the tounry and I couldn't go. Sorry to hear about the problem HTM. I know you were looking forward to this.

Yes this was by far the worst tournament I have ever been to. Allow me to share my experience with you all; I arrived at 11:00am to register for the adult grappling division. I paid $45 to register, and I paid $25 sign up with the CJA. I was aware of the TJJ point fighting and frankly I couldn't give two shits about it. So I'm waiting for 2:30pm to roll around for my division to start, but low and behold it didn't actually begin until 5:30pm. Now I know that tournaments are always a little behind schedule but 3 hours behind! Give me a fucking break!

So I finally have my first match at 7:00pm, while I'm fighting a girls ball hockey team is arriving in full gear expecting to play. They are just as suprised to see us there as I am them. Meanwhile the rings that are not being used are being disassembled. After My fight ends I am informed that I will have two minutes to rest before my next match. I say to the timekeeper(a competetor who was volunteering his time) "can I at least have five minutes to catch my breath", he replies, "sorry bro we're already not supposed to be here". Meanwhile my opponent is fresh off 15 minutes rest. I decided not to press the issue and fought the match unfortunatley losing on points.

In closing the tournament was garbage, and I fear that with the CJA controlling the sanctioning of grappling tournaments in Ontario the sport will suffer here. Anyway, I hear that the CJA is not the only game in town, anyone ever hear of the World Kobudo Federation?

Please dont give up on the Ontario Grappling scene. I will be having the Ontario Submission Wrestling in Hamilton (this coming June 5th), which was run very well last year, the next tournament in line is the Canadian Abu Dhabi Trials in August, (which will be run by the Showdown group), than there is the Joslins tournament which is the best run and organized event in Ontario.

Keep the faith!

Things always are bad before they get better!

Having a sport jiu-jitsu tournament the same day as a grappling tournament can never work out good. But maybe it will be different next year!

I'm still trying to figure out why we got to pay 25$ to be a CJA member. Gee I just want to fight.

liborio1- Yes the Invitational and the Joslin's tournament were awsome, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the invitational again.

The only problem is where are the up and comers supposed to go to gain experience and get to a high level of proficiency to one day get to compete in the invitational?

Alot of people can't afford to take time off work/pay american money/road trip to Michigan/Quebec/anywhere but Ontario to compete.

We need another game in town besides the CJA...

Darb is correct. I hear there was a tournament in Hamilton a few weeks back that was sanctioned under the World Kobudo Federation and it went off without a hitch.

I found this on the net:

In 1992 The World Kobudo Federation was established by three fine martial artists and gentlemen, Soke Richard Morris, 9th Dan, from England. Kyoshi John Therien, 8th Dan, from Canada. Kyoshi Alain Sailly, 7th Dan, from France. Since the beginning, they have been able to build up the World Kobudo Federation into one of the leading multi-style organizations in the world.

The International Headquarters is located in Canada.

The European Headquarters is in London. Other Member Countries of the World Kobudo Federation have now opened up their own Representative Headquarters.

The Representatives for each Country have been chosen with great care. Those chosen are the ONLY Official Representatives for their Country.

As of 1999, World Kobudo has created several International Competition Divisions. With the addition of the International Competitions we anticipate great and The Idea and the main principles of the W.K.F. is to promote and develop all Martial Arts throughout the world, and to recognize and bring together all Martial artists under one banner.

The WKF is represented by all of the following countries;

Armenia, Austria, Australia, America, Belgium, Bahrain, Canada, China, Denmark, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Great Britain, Germany, Hungary, Greece, Ireland, Israel, India, Italy, Latvia, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Spain, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, New Zealand, and Ukraine.

The W.K.F. is represented by all of the following Martial Arts;

Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, Taekwondo, Karate, Kung Fu, Hapkido, Kick Boxing, Mauy Thai, Sambo, Goshindo, Nin-Jitsu, Hakko Ryu, Jeet Kune Do, Yushin Kai, etc.

With senior grades in all these arts the WKF has a deep and complete knowledge throughout the arts. The WKF strives to be a political free and ego free organization. The WKF is open to any and all Martial Artists regardless of affiliations.

If you are not yet a member , we would warmly welcome you into the WKF family. Feel free to contact the WKF-USA headquarters for further information and membership forms.

www.wkf-usa.com

ttt

Freefaller 21,
This what you said....

"So I finally have my first match at 7:00pm, while I'm fighting a girls ball hockey team is arriving in full gear expecting to play. They are just as suprised to see us there as I am them. Meanwhile the rings that are not being used are being disassembled. After My fight ends I am informed that I will have two minutes to rest before my next match. I say to the timekeeper(a competetor who was volunteering his time) "can I at least have five minutes to catch my breath", he replies, "sorry bro we're already not supposed to be here". Meanwhile my opponent is fresh off 15 minutes rest. I decided not to press the issue and fought the match unfortunatley losing on points."

You neglected these facts

-You LOST your first fight and your next fight was for third place (I found out later because of time we were supposed to skip 3rd place matches altogether)

-You can't roll for 10 minutes, then beef up your cardio. (stop making excuses for losing)

-We told you 2 minutes rest, not 5

Yeah I lost my match, so what? I wasn't making any excuses for losing. I was commenting on the poor organization of the tournament.

Yes, you told me I had two minutes rest, I then asked you if i could at least have five, please re-read my post. Believe me I was in no way critizising your actions, I was well aware that you were generously volunteering your time.

As for my cardio, maybe it does need a little work but after fighting a tough wrestler I think its fair for someone to be tired.

Anyway, I'm not going to press the issue any further, I just wanted to share my experience. If you felt offended by what I said, I'm sorry you feel that way. It wasn't your fault the event was running 4 hours behind schedule.

Im glad I didnt book off work for that tournament

even more glad Im still not a member of CJA, Let me ask could the main guys in charge called"overweight dustfarters stroking each others cocks" have been wearing black GI's with Milton Jiu-Jitsu on them??

No disrespect If Im mistaken but Im just curious cause 2 of them came the Couture/Henderson seminar and wore the same Gi's and I overheard them talk about the tourney this weekend??

I agree World Kubodo Federation when i started training 5 years ago always held professional, well organized tournaments. Three weeks ago they did too,

The proof is in the pudding. I'll be supporting Joslin's and Liborio1 by going to watch the Sub Invitational June 5th but I still cant see a change in my CJA membership status until someone like Liborio, Jeff Joslin, Wagney or someone with a passion for grappling/BJJ and not making money is running grappling in Ontario.

my 2 cents

Greg Compton