Worst Grappling Tournament

With all due respect, everyone can bitch and complain as much as you want but unless you do your research, you will not be taken seriously.

The World Kubudo Federation is not allowed to sanction events in Ontario. If they could, I would have joined/used their sanctioning a very long time ago. They are superbly run organization but they are NOT recognized by the Ministry in Ontario.

I to was very frustrated with how things ran yesterday. I sat alone for the majority of time there, taking notes and avoiding anyone and everyone ( I'm sick actually, so I didn't want to cough on anyone...sorry Liborio1 ).

Grab some chalk, grab a pen and do 'lines' like you did in Elementary school. Write this down 500 times:

FOR NOW, THE CJA IS MY ONLY OPTION...WHETHER I LIKE IT OR NOT.

Warmest Regards,

Mr.Broken Record.

It would have been nice if some of the refs got the rules right. Having somebody driving their knuckle into my ribs in a match wasn't fun.

1) I saw those guys in black at the Couture/Henderson seminar. I thought they might be ninjas so I stayed away from them.

2) Showdown Joe. If you shower more then you won't have to sit alone so much. (JUst don't use the shower at the Showdown store no matter WHAT Paul says.

It is funny you say that about the guys wearing black gi's from Milton Jiu-Jitsu, because the owner/operator of that club is the canadian representitive for the World Kuboto Federation (WKF).
It is not always greener on the other side.

Could someone please clarify for me:

"CJA NATIONALS MAY 16th"

- was this a tournament for the National team that from my understanding was handpicked from schools that are CJA members. I was told there were no prior competitions in order to make the team and they were competing amongst each other for their division order.This would explain the dust-farting ninja's and the fact that they dominated the attention of the tournament.

or

- did my blind anticipation lead me to beleive that this was a grappling event of National proportions. As we know there are very few events in Ontario (sanctioned or not)and I was under the impression that this one should take the cake. After all the CJA is the freak'n governing body, is it not? If the CJA is the only sanctioned event (aside from Joslin's and Invitational), why could they not meet the needs of the grappling community? Failing to meet the needs suggests it is time for a NEW governing body; or atleast some form of humility in allowing/sanctioning other qualified people to throw events.

*** sorry dust-farters, no offence intended, you looked like you were having fun, unfortunately at the expense of the grappling community.

Why not make Joslins the grappling tourney for the nationals? Or is that a stupid question?

I think Showdown and Fateh's Fight Club should co-run a tournament next year. I dream that one day Ontario will have a triple crown title for submission grappling. I agree with Dougie on this one.

TIGERAT,

Just to address your concerns, and please, share this info with as many people as possible as I have answered it easily, 20-25 times. I don't mind educating and informing, trust me, I'm just frurstated by doing it over and over again.

"why could they not meet the needs of the grappling community?"...honestly, why should they. They are not a Grappling Federation. They are a Sport Jiu-Jitsu Federation. You saw that yesterday. They were 'given' this 'duty' but the Ontario Athletic Commission. They didn't want it...they don't want it, they just 'got it'. Danny from Bravado is the representative on behalf of the grappling community who oversees and helps us along this path. It's not easy for him either.

"Failing to meet the needs suggests it is time for a NEW governing body"...I have suggested this dozens of times, but no one does anything about it. Everybody talks and bitches. I have said dozens of times: let's get together and form our own organization...BUT IN THE MEANTIME, there is no reason to insult the very organization who is allowing us to compete. They are sanctioning our events UNTIL we can LEGALLY hold our own. This is a long process, but nobody wants to take it and do anything about it. I have explained this to many, many people, and NO ONE has done a thing about it. I for one, am dealing with too much on my plate as is.

"...at least some form of humility in allowing/sanctioning other qualified people to throw events."

They are humble enough and do allow others to hold events...they allowed me to have 2 events, Joslins one event, Rick two events. They are allowing me more events as well. They sanctioned the Toronto Showdown and will be sanctioning many more Showdown events. I follow the rules...others complain about them.

Sign me up for a new federation. If we want it done right, lets get the wheels spinning. Now I have 3 questions: How do we start said federation??? Will this cost me endless amounts of money??? Are credit cards belonging to Dougie acceptable forms of payment???

My credit cards are maxed out.

I think that it's just hard for people to move along at an organizational pace. We all want what we want and we want it now which makes it hard to deal with the wait.

It's been a 5 year wait...nobody wants to step up.

Joe, what would one have to do to step up??? I'm young (relatively) and don't know how these things work. I'm curious.

Regardless of whether they were given the responsibility or not, the question "why should they" meet the needs is ridiculous. It is their RESPONSIBILITY. They are the sanctioning body. If there is no interest in contributing to the grappling community then relinquish the RESPONSIBILITY. I support anyone who will help the needs of the grappling community especially yourself(showdown), Riccardo and joslin's. You have all been doing a fantastic job. You all told me/us to support the CJA and I have, but I have every right to be frustrated with yesterday's turn of events. Your hands are tied, you side with them becuase you must and I would like to personally thank the few that have to put up with the CJA in order to bring us what little competions we receive. On that note I will volunteer 10 hours a week to you ShowdownJoe(seeing how your plate is so full) or anyone for that matter that can bring us more qualty tournaments.

I have many contacts. Do we need a professional lobbiest? Would you like me to start an online petition? Should I throw a "grappling community awarenes" function? The wise ones who have been struggling through this please give some direction.

**throwing my hands up in the air for guidance and wisdom from the grappling elders**

Joe, in all honesty I am not sure anyone knows what to do to "Step up."

Perhaps that is why it's been kept down so long because no one can get it together enough to challenge the powers that be.

But let me tell you a story of another rag tag bunch of rebels once who challenged an empire.

It all started on this desert planet Tattooine with this kid named "Luke..."

Are you suggesting we destroy the Death Star Dougie???? TTT for working together for the good of the sport.

Honestly I don't have a solution. The CJA is supposed to be the way to go. That's what Joe says and he's not the kind of guy that would lie to us.

The problem lies though in knowing what the CJA can and can't do for the grappling community. I'm not sure if we're expecting too much from them all at once.

Joslins and the invitational for example seem to be 2 well run awesome grappling tournaments. They are CJA sanctioned. The CJA tourny they ran themselves sorta fell apart for grapplers. Perhaps it'd be better to let groups like Showdown and Joslins etc to set up tournaments and just have CJA sanction them.

Personally I think we're at a crossroads because we want something but just are unsure about the method we're going to get it with.

By the way, in the movie about how grappling was won in Ontario, you will plan Luke Skywalker and I will be Han Solo.

Fox can be Princess Leia.

Esfiha is Chewie.

"WAaaaaaauuuuuurrrrrggggghhhhh!!!"

You should see Esfiha's monkey walk. It is perfect for the role.