Worst UFC champion debate cont

Saw this post today. Interesting the 4 fighters suggested the most in the worst UFC champ thread (Montano [the ONLY acceptable answer], Serra, Bisping, Esparza) were all TUF champions.

Just a fun fact.

1 Like

Bisping should be removed from this conversation immediately. Bisping KO’d a champion who had previously defeated him, on short notice, then defended against Dan Henderson while completely blind in 1 eye, with the other eye swollen shut due to a broken orbital, and won.

Dave Menne and Evan Tanner were champions in that same division. Do people really think Carlos Newton’s reign was better than his? Johnny Hendricks, who won a vacant belt and immediately lost it? Eddie Alvarez with 0 defenses? Vitor Belfort who “won” the belt because of a freak injury at the very beginning of a fight, only to immediately lose it back when a real fight actually took place?

15 Likes

Conor, won two belts and got stripped from both of them. did Jack shit with them.

5 Likes

I defended him tooth and nail in that thread, just pointing out he was mentioned a lot and is a TUF champion. He was a top 5 guy and legit champ no matter how you try to twist it.

2 Likes

Props to Esparza for being a fight away from winning it back despite everyone calling her horrible.

3 Likes

Yeah people called Rose horrible, also.

Nevermind her beating two of the best ever at 115, when she loses again some asshole here will start a "shes done shes not that good she should retire " thread.

MMA fans are the worst sort of fair weather fans.

4 Likes

Mildly interesting

Don’t think Bisping is in the worst champ conversation but neither is Vitor. I get Vitor won his title due to a cut but it would be ridiculous to include him in a list of worst champs (meaning worst fighter to grab a title) when he had a two decade long career that included wins over Telligman, Wanderlei, Herring, Franklin, Akiyama, Rumble, Bisping, Rockhold, Hendo etc… and he also competed in three weight classes over the course of his career. While competing at MW, Vitor took a fight with the LHW GOAT on like two weeks notice and came closer to finishing Jones than anyone in MMA history.

Agree Montano is the only acceptable answer.

Not sure who the worst male champ is but its not Vitor and its not Serra. People are way off saying its Serra, in his career Serra beat Edwards, Menjivar, Curran, Lytle, Trigg, Spratt, Carter and GSP. He also had very close fights Hughes, Penn and Thomas but came up short. Also took 2nd at ADCC and beat JJ Machado to do it. People say Serra is one of the worst champs because they just can’t accept a good (but not the best) LW went up to WW and KOed the GOAT WW. He did it and that upset the GSP worshipers so they ignore Serra’s achievements as a result.

1 Like

Someone who wins two divisional belts is not in the conversation as “worst” of anything.

You may not like him but in his prime he was a problem for anyone.

3 Likes

aljo is currently the worst IMO

Mainly because he didn’t really win it, and is acting like he did.

Although past current champions, esparaza also acted like the champ even though she never defended it nor won it from someone

4 Likes

I’m assuming this is to bait me since I’ve apparently got a reputation as a bit of a Yan-hater, but no. Aljo is undoubtedly the #1 ranked 135 pounder and hasn’t lost in 5 years all against top ten guys.

EDIT just noticed “currently.” Yeah that’s probably true, although I thought Volk lost the second fight with Holloway. Think he’d beat everyone at 135 if they went up though.

What season of TUF did he win again? Can’t recall.

1 Like

Bullshit.

She fought Rose for the first belt.

She has worked her way back to a title shot after losing to JJ.

Montano has done fuck all after TUF.

Not remotely comparable.

2 Likes

In my opinion, the way this should be evaluated is by looking at how much time they spent at/near the top of their division in their career…how much time they spent in the top 10, guys they beat in the top 10 etc.

By those metrics, Serra is pretty obviously the “worst” male UFC champion in the modern era. He has one win over a guy in the top 10, and it happened to be GSP. Huge win, Serra is a great fighter…but we’re comparing him to all the other champions, who are also great fighters. I see people saying Bisping, Aljo, Alvarez etc, but all those guys spent a meaningful amount of time in the top 10, and had wins over top 10 guys to “earn” the title shot. Serra beat tough guys outside the top 10 prior to getting his shot.

Nobody is saying he sucks, you nailed it…he has excellent credentials…but so does every other male UFC champion, AND they spent time inside the top 10 before and after being champion.

1 Like

If we’re including female champions, yes…Montano is clearly the choice, not really a debate.

Eddie Alvarez won some very dubious decisions leading up to his title win. Then talked like he was so bad and went out to put on one of the worst displays ever against Conor.

He gets my vote

Forrest Griffen gets my vote. Followed by Matt Serra.

Forrest has some legit wins. But the way he lost to Silva and ran out of the arena always tarnished him for me.

Except he was a legit contender with big wins before and after. This conversation is impossible to have with people who pick goofy reasons to justify their choice.

If you look at the amount of wins they have over top opponents, Eddie isn’t even in the “top 10 worst” discussion.

1 Like

He got his ass whooped by cerrone. Then two dubious split decision wins over Pettis and Melendez. (I thought Melendez won).

Then he had one good fight against dos anjos. Then horrible display and completely punked by conor.

I stand by my choice.