Would classic songs hold up if released today??

Take history away for a minute but say we still landed at where we are today with modern music. 

An unknown band named the Eagles releases “Hotel California” or “Take It Easy”

An unknown artist named John Lennon releases “Imagine”

A new group named Nirvana releases “Smells like Teen Spirit”

An unknown band named Metallica releases “Enter Sandman”

Now, I know that besides the Eagles with “Take it easy”, these bands were already established when these hits came out but you get what I’m saying.  If released today would they still become hits/classics? 

I think GnR one in a million would go over very well if released today.

I think same thing too.   Like when was the last actual real "epic" song released?  Some could argue November rain by the structure of it but I mean like stairway, free bird , hotel California,  or the countless other legit songs that aren't just being made today.  There are really good bands today but you're not hearing things like that came out in the day 

I don’t think any songs from those eras would do well today. Playing instruments and having talent doesn’t appeal to the mainstream nowadays.

Girly -

I think same thing too.   Like when was the last actual real "epic" song released?  Some could argue November rain by the structure of it but I mean like stairway, free bird , hotel California,  or the countless other legit songs that aren't just being made today.  There are really good bands today but you're not hearing things like that came out in the day 

Yep, we have that discussion at work all the time.  Basically in 30-40 years, what songs from now will be the classics”?

Like If the wall was released by some random band today, would people instantly know its next level and appreciate it.  Could comfortably numb get radio play in this era as a new song 

every old band should have saved an album of songs to release 25-40 years later 

ABCTT Dos -

I don’t think any songs from those eras would do well today. Playing instruments and having talent doesn’t appeal to the mainstream nowadays.

This is so sad because of how true it is.

Suspicious minds

Girly -

Let It Happen by Tame Impala. Vincent by Car Seat Headrest. A couple of recent 7 minute classics I can think of that probably didn’t trouble the charts anywhere