Would u do personal protection??

RickyMMA, Serious question. I would like to get the name of one of those authors. I dig that kind of reading. Any ideas where to start looking?

Pbolger,

Survival Course by Chris Cocks. Here is a webpage with more books:

http://home.mweb.co.za/sa/savimbi/library.htm

The white soldiers of South Africa are probably the best mercenaries in the world today. Back during apartheid, the South African military was so efficient and disciplined, that the US Government predicted that they could swing smash north through about 20 African countries and be at the Suez in less than 30 days. This is if there was no intervention by the Soviet Union either directly or indirectly (via Cuba, for example).

The South African military has gone downhill since 1994. It's not even considered a top 20 military anymore. A lot of the former soldiers decided to sell their services to the highest bidder. A lot have emigrated to the US or Europe.

There are coups going on all the time in Africa. The average leader stays in power for a year before he is either killed or toppled. Depending on the country, it's possible that a coup could be achieved with only a few dozen men. Most countries in Africa would probably require about a 100 men. In some countries, like South Africa and Nigeria, I don't think a foreign coup would be possible.

I don't advocate coups against any foreign countries, whether allied or enemy.

A plane was recently stopped in Zimbabwe and a number of men were taken into custody. At first the men claimed they were some sort of advisors, and that's what CNN said as well. Anyone who has any idea of how things work in Africa knew that they were mercenaries immediately.

Anyways, if you enjoy reading about these things then by all means. But this is not a good career choice. Almost all mercenaries are former soldiers who decided to sell their services to private companies and/or governments. There are a number of private security companies in South Africa which provide security to people. Executive Outcomes I believe is the largest. They do what the police should do, but is too corrupt and inefficient to do.

Hope I was helpful.

I forgot to mention that the French Foreign Legion is comprised mostly of mercenaries. Former soldiers from Eastern Europe are plentiful in the legion, they get paid well and at the end of their service, they are granted French citizenship. You could probably find a lot of interesting information by reading about them and their exploits.

I had a friend of mine that is a pro boxer ask me if I would be his body guard. I took it as a compliment.

Thanks, will check out the website. Always found that stuff interesting. Apparently the US is contracting alot of its security services to private companies who I would suppose are mercenaries of sorts. Know anything about that. Hijacked this thread didnt we?

"Apparently the US is contracting alot of its security services to private companies who I would suppose are mercenaries of sorts."

Yes. They're mercenaries. In the rebuilding of Iraq many foreign companies are brought in. This is essential to get the country back on its feet. Also a lot of foreign workers are brought in to do crucial jobs that cannot be filled domestically (especially in technology). These foreigners and these companies, however, are highly attractive targets to rebels or those who want to destabilize the temporary government.

But it isn't appropriate for American soldiers to guard foreign companies in the long term. It's one thing for American soldiers to die defending a police station or another symbol of Iraqi government, it's quite another for them to die defending the offices of a French bank or Russian refinery.

Thus security forces are brought in. These are mercenaries. If they die, it doesn't add to the casualty figures for US troops. It won't lower the morale of the troops or cause a controversy at home. But, make no mistake about, these are usually soldiers are they're all business. They're well armed and well trained. Some true civilians are killed of course, but I would wager the vast majority are mercenaries.

These "civilians" should be contrasted with the oft-discussed "advisors." Advisors are usually soldiers helping a foreign country unofficially. America had advisors fighting in Vietnam prior to large scale troop deployments. Russian "advisors" flew aircraft in Vietnam and Korea. Chinese "advisors" manned anti-aircraft guns in Vietnam. When you hear the word advisors, you should think soldiers. Sometimes they only give advice, sometimes they train troops, sometimes they fight, sometimes they bring in military equipment, etc.

Our "advisors" have led to the overthrow of hundreds of governments over the years. It may not be an idealistic picture of our foreign policy, but it is a realistic one. Our methods may certainly be nefarious, but they're not much different from the methods of other great powers. Also, I support whatever methods we may use, as long as our (the United States) best interests are served.