Would you rather have 1 bitcoin or gold coin?

A bitcoin is presently more expensive than a gold coin. If you had the choice would you rather have a gold coin in your hand or a bitcoin?

A bitcoin for sure, in the short term (at least) that sumbitch is increasing in value.

Gold.

Last Tenor - A bitcoin for sure, in the short term (at least) that sumbitch is increasing in value.
Bitcoin is definitely not now.

Bitcoin. I have some, I want more. I keep them in a wallet, numerous wallets, locked away for when they hit 10k.

Bitcoin for me.

Tim Duncan

Tim Duncan - 
Last Tenor - A bitcoin for sure, in the short term (at least) that sumbitch is increasing in value.

http://www.coindesk.com/price/

Gold for me. I get the basics of Bitcoin, i think, but ill stick to gold just seems easier to manage.

Tim Duncan -
Hot

Fuck, 1 bitcoin right now equals $1257.52.

AnthonyWeiner - The Chinese government is attempting to launch it's own digital currency to stop Chinese investment in Bitcoin. Very likely most of the gains in the currency in the past year or so have been from wealthy Chinese businessmen and government officials seeking a means to stash their fortunes, in fear of Xi's government crackdown.

Right now bitcoin=Vancouver real estate

Or maybe many people realize that a currency with a finite number of coins, which is gaining traction as more and more people get familiar with them, can be an investment?

That and the Chinese you speak of.

I think long-term, one or two cryptocurrencies will take of, and bitcoin is the favorite due mostly to name recognition.

Amazon will accept bitcoin before Ethereum or Zcash.

Long term the gold.

Crisco - 

Long term the gold.

Possibly.

Bitcoin might drop to zero, but could also become adopted by the mainstream, in which case the sky is limit.

I would take my chances with the bitcoin, the gold coin could never buy you a sweet car - the bitcoin might ;-)

Last Tenor - 
Crisco - 

Long term the gold.

Possibly.

Bitcoin might drop to zero, but could also become adopted by the mainstream, in which case the sky is limit.

I would take my chances with the bitcoin, the gold coin could never buy you a sweet car - the bitcoin might ;-)

Long-long term: canned food and ammunition.

That's the beauty of decentralized currency. No central bank to pull the plug or deflate it by creating more money. It's all perceived value, and trust. EDIT: f*** the dollar

RJJH - 
Last Tenor - That's the beauty of decentralized currency. No central bank to pull the plug or deflate it by creating more money. It's all perceived value, and trust. EDIT: f*** the dollar

I agree with "fuck the dollar". but thinking the US govt is just going to sit back and let bitcoin "take over" is laughable at best.

It's not one or the other.
It's another currency in an ecology of hundreds.

We'll see, you may well be right but I am not convinced.

The Danish government have initiated compliance demands on botcoin exchanges, so it's semi-regulated. I assume the EU will follow, if they are not already in line with the Danes.

Not botcoin exchanges, bitcoin exchanges. Long day.

I think you might be seeing things from a very US-centric POV - this is a global event. Another point to bitcoin. I can buy a cow from China with bitcoin, it's trans-national.

TFK_Fanboy - so recently I won like $88 online gambling and could have been paid with direct deposit or bitcoins

I did not need the money. would it have been smarter to get the bitcoin and just sit on them?

Since bitcoin have trended upwards since you won $88, you should have gone with the that. Then you would have 90-100 bucks worth of bitcoin now (with more to come, I would guess).

You can still buy $88 worth of bitcoin today, but you lost out on the increase from then to now.
And if bitcoin crashes tomorrow, you made the wise choice after all.

Astonishing that your average guy won't purchase shares in productive companies but will pile into pyramid schemes

For free, I'd take a bitcoin. Even it if was worth less. Just something fun to play around with