Wrestler not striker going to beat A Silva....

Some people are saying that Rampage or Machida can beat A Sliva.
I don't think there is a striker out there that would last 3 rds with him..
Its going to be a grind out wrestler with great sub defense that will beat him. Henderson was on his way before he gassed and tried to stand and bang(I think 2nd time around will be different).

If you turn the fight with Sliva into a wrestling match, the chances increase to beating him....

Demian Maia has a good chance depending on his take downs.
Tito Ortiz has a real good chance as well.

Someone without any confidence in there striking that just wants to clinch and drag it to the ground will win.

Lutter has had the best plan so far.

I think if Henderson can go in this time and forget about standing, and turn it into a wrestling match he has a good shot..

Not sure if Nate has the chin to take a few but he has some qualities. If Tito's takedown attempts were a little better he would have a good shot...

Completely agree. No one will beat Anderson on the feet. I believe he can be out wrestled though, and if said wrestler can stay out of his subs he might have a chance to grind out a win.

Carlos Newton did pretty well against him (by wrestling) before getting caught with that crazy flying knee. Hell even Alexander Otsuka wrestled Silva to the ground pretty easily in their fight, he just couldn't do anything with it. And both Henderson and Lutter did relatively well against him (yes I know they got destroyed, but by Silva standards they did pretty good).

I don't think Silva will be beaten for a long time... but when it happens I'm pretty sure it will be a wrestler with good sub defense, in a perhaps very uneventful lay and pray fight.

It's more likely than anyone beating him standing, but I still don't see anyone doing it. Not only is his takedown defense excellent these days, but his footwork, reach, and precision strikes make it very hard for anyone to even get close enough to attempt one.

Well I don't think his last 3 fights (Cote,Leites,Griffen) even attempted a real takedown. I mean leites just dropped to his back, cote stood and traded, and griffen (well we all saw that)..

Dan slipped a punch into a duckunder to body lock and took him down no problem...Lutter just shot a sloppy takedown that worked and nate took him down pretty easily as well with a basic shot.

His foot work is incredible but i still think just by genetics (long and lanky) is still easy to takedown...

Machida v Silva will be the greatest fight in the history of MMA, IMO. When it happens..

Okami

My grammer could use some work for sure...I think Okami would get mauled...

A little bit younger Randy (the one who fought Tito) would smash Silva...

bye the way this isn't a "wrestlers better" type thread..Obviously a Mixed Martial Artist is the one to beat him but with a certain style..Someone who is going to stand in front of him for any amount of time will get handeled.

Rampage can take him down, overpower him, defend subs (which he does quite well), eek out the round on control and semi-effective GnP, rinse and repeat. Especially if it's a 3 rounder, not a title fight.

Standing up, his covers and his chin could help him survive long enough to get the clinch and the takedown.

I think his chin, his boxing defense, his brute strength and his wrestling, coupled with the sub defense makes him the most dangerous match up for Anderson at 205.

Not necessarily saying he will win though, as Silva's pinpoint accuracy, speed, footwork, muay thai clinch and kicks make him a great match up to win as well. (Page has shown a tendency to struggle with the legkicks, but keep in mind that it also opens up the kicker for a takedown)

Regardless, I would LOVE to see that fight!!

Rampage IS a wrestler and a good one at that, it's just that he spends so much time striking that he forgets his wrestling. If he got with Greg Jackson and devised a proper gameplan that involved his wrestling skill, he would easily be your "wrestler".

A Demian Maia fight would look like the Thales Leites fight, sometimes the BJJ Black Belt worship goes a bit far and gets unrealistic.

Rampage has basically abandoned his wrestling as of the last few yrs...

he is basically a boxer with great TD defense... he doesn't actively go out and try to take people down... thats what i meant about Rampage not being the guy to beat Silva...

I would love to see Rampage fight him as well...he is tough as all hell, strong as an ox, but he just stands there and strikes and I don't think that would fair to well...

Ausgepicht - Rampage IS a wrestler and a good one at that, it's just that he spends so much time striking that he forgets his wrestling. If he got with Greg Jackson and devised a proper gameplan that involved his wrestling skill, he would easily be your "wrestler".

A Demian Maia fight would look like the Thales Leites fight, sometimes the BJJ Black Belt worship goes a bit far and gets unrealistic.

I think Maia showed good takedowns in the Sonnen fight (I think it was a throw). Although I do agree with you in that if he wants to pull gaurd, he will have a difficult night. If he were to get a takedown though and get top position I think he could finish Silva.

I think of Maia as Bustamante 2.0

El último combate - Demian Maia has a good chance depending on his take downs.
Tito Ortiz has a real good chance as well.

Someone without any confidence in there striking that just wants to clinch and drag it to the ground will win.

Lutter has had the best plan so far.

Tito Ortiz LMFAO!

don't sleep on maia.

I guess if Vitor is considered a wrestler this thread is true.

Maia and Palhares would have a pretty good shot. I like Marquardt's chances in a rematch as well.