Wrestlers FAQ re BJJ?

Those of you with wrestling experience, what things would a Wrestler, looking at competing in a BJJ tournament, need to know and apprecite about competitive BJJ to successfully make the transition?

I am thinking of things like significantly different interps regarding legal/illegal actions, scoring etc. I'm not too concerned about how one may train a wrestler to become a BJJer.

BTW I have zero wrestling experience.

If a wrestler wanted to compete in BJJ competition, what would he need to know. e.g., I don't think you can win by submission in wrestling, which would make BJJ competition pretty 'different' experience for your average wrestler would-be-convert.

I recently put together a similar thing for Judo players: basically so they can have a better understanding of what they might be in for if they wished to step into a BJJ competition.

what things would a Wrestler, looking at competing in a BJJ tournament, need to know and apprecite about competitive BJJ to successfully make the transition?BJJ!It's as simple as that.I know this is not the answer you're looking for but it's an honest one. Wrestling and bjj are very different. go learn some bjj and then apply it. you'll use you're wrestling where you can. wrestling becomes an instinctive tool.

Also masks and lycra are not generally allowed...

No bouncing off the ropes.

3 things a wrestler needs to know to be a monster in BJJ:

1) Do not extend your arms. Ever.

2) Do not turn face down and allow a partner to go to your back.

3) Do not stay in the guard. You need to pass immediately from that position.

When a good wrestler learns these 3 things, they become a real challenge for the BJJer!

~TT

hush twinkletoes - damn!

sorry. i wasn't thinking.

i have several ex-wrestlers in my BJJ class. one in particular is starting to realize those 3 things, and give us all a hard time.

I've heard that, amongst beginners, ex-wrestlers have a definite head start, but when people start to become more experienced, things start to even out and one's wrestling past becomes less a factor in one's success in BJJ.