wrestling and bjj

How does your average wrestling practice compare to an average brazilian ju jitsu/sub wrestling class in terms of how physically tired you are at the end of it? Which would you say is more grueling? Why the difference if any? I'm wrestling now, but I want to start bjj in about a year so I want to stay in shape and hopefully keep up the same intensity. Thanks

Wrestling practice is harder BJJ class is more fun and they accent each other nicely i hit a chest to chest sweep in a wrestling match today i was sooo excited lol

Wrestling practice is harder BJJ class is more fun and they accent each other nicely i hit a chest to chest sweep in a wrestling match today i was sooo excited lol

What's your weight division SGTMNC? I use to be an assistant wrestling coach at NSU before I got my Black Belt in BJJ from Carlos Machado. I know you probably don't want to mix the two sports while competing in wrestling but drilling submission holds in anticipation of training in BJJ might not hurt if you are interested? www.dcgonz.com

Good luck with your training.

I have wrestled for 9 years and done BJJ for almost a year.

There are some wrestling moves you can throw in to surprise someone in a BJJ match...and BJJ moves you can throw in to surprise someone in a wrestling match

In one of my wrestling matches....I stood up out of referee's position and couldn't shake the guy off of me standing....so I hit a rolling kneebar on him and cranked it a little bit...he grunted and gave me some space then I hit a sit out turn in sit out turn out and escaped. The kneebar was probably the last thing the guy expected. If you don't believe me, I have it on tape. :)

Also, if you have a guy stuck under on you...you can guillotine him out of a front headlock....the guy can either let go and you can spin behind him....or if he doesn't block it you can put him on his back.....or he can pass out. But....if you do that you might have somebody's Dad come out of the stands and try to kill you. :)

As far as BJJ matches go....obviously with a wrestling background you can dictate whether or not you want top position by either taking the guy down or stopping his takedowns....also I find it pretty easy to put guys in a front head lock and spin behind them and take their back....because if the guy doesn't come from a wrestling background, he's not used to blocking with his arms

As far as practices go...wrestling is way tougher...but with BJJ, you got to learn how to breathe properly and pace yourself differently

Those are some of my experiences with the 2 sports

I agree, wrestling practice is definitely more tiring but its because of the philosophy of jiu-jitsu as stated before. Jiu-jitsu emphasizes a calmer approach to finishing the match. Although both have technique. However, at tournaments you may not see that smooth and paced approach except in more advanced divisions. Much love in both sports - but there's nothing like choking a guy out and then giving him a hug after.

I think how tiring practice is depends largely on the coach/instructor. I've been in bjj classes that are really laid back and others that are more like "bjj on speed".

Personally, I've tried to adopt a more "bjj on speed" kind of approach in my own team since we are MMA oriented and conditioning is so important. We also don't use the gi and usually start standing up, so I guess we get both the wrestling and the bjj...

temp,

I'm wrestling at 152 this year. Yeah, I'd love to start training some bjj/submissions. I checked out your website and it looks great, but I live in the Chicago area. Where is your school located?

wrestlers train more as atheletes and bjj trains more as a martial art...