wrestling for kids question

I live in Des Moines, Iowa and I have two sons who are 7 and 10 and I'm looking for a junior wrestling program for them. They seem unsure if they want to do it. I told them they will love it and they just dont understand what actual true wrestling is. Any other ideas on how I can motivate them to go check it out and try it? I want them to do it because they want to, not because I'm forcing them.

Sounds like you want them to wrestle, but they don't want to.

The only thing I might suggest is to take them to a local high school or college match and see if they think it's cool. If they do, then find a youth league program. If they still are "unsure if they want to do it" then drop it.

Whatever you do, don't force them into it. I've known lots of kids whose dads forced them into wrestling. Result: not only does the kid hate wrestling, he ends up resenting his dad. Be careful, because it sounds to me like you really are pressuring them into it.

Thanks for your response. As far as pressuring them thats what I'm trying to avoid. I just dont want them to say "no, I wont like it" when they've never tried it. I contacted a coach today and he's going to give me some videos they can watch and invited them to come watch his High School wrestlers. He told me to reassure them if they start they will be with other kids that have little no or experience and that it takes time to learn. But thanks again for the response.

Hey Hawg, I don't know how close you are to the Hawkeye Kids club but that would be a great idea.

I can't vouch for the club personally because I have never been there, or to Iowa for that matter but I have experience with the man who runs it, Pablo Ubassa as a counceler at the camp I attended this year.

If someone can get your kids interested in the sport, Pablo is up to it, kids seem to love him and get a kick out of him.

-Nick

Rent VisionQuest for them.

Problem solved.

get a promotional DVD from www.realprowrestling.com