Wrestling shoes in MMA

They would have to come up with a MMA shoe, that didn't have a rubber sole, tucked stitching and lace protectors.

Not saying that shoes don't belong in MMA, I'm more saying that wrestling shoes don't.

To play devils advocate boxers don't roll on the ground with the debris

still a stupid reason for a rule

When the NJAC (the guys who came up with the rules) banned shoes they said it was to keep fighters from tracking debris into the ring.......which is beyond stupid.

Again, NSAC is intellectually lazy and stupid

if this was really the case, they can easily solve it by wearing slipons to cover the shoes before entering the ring

NSAC, they don't know MMA at all

CavemanDave:

Perhaps but some fighters prefer the grip, some prefer it without, that is a fighter choice.

Ofcourse the disadvantage to wearing shoes is that you can get heelhooked much easier

Look at PRIDE, some wear shoes, some don't, it is entirely a fighter preference thing

Kai:

fair enough, they developed open fingered gloves for MMA, there is no reason they can't develop soft heeled shoes for MMA as well.

I just want to illustrate that the NSAC don't know MMA, and they are too lazy.

Hubris: Oh I agree, I just think in the grand scheme of things, shoes in the UFC is pretty minor.

I suggest pro wrestling boots. They're sturdy and look really cool!

Kai:

the shoes thing is just one of the many gripes I have with NSAC, they simply don't know MMA and it is one example of it

I thought it was because they are more likely to cause cuts?

Def think gi pants or Aoki style tights should be legit though.

"Look at PRIDE, some wear shoes, some don't, it is entirely a fighter preference thing"

Oh, I'm not disputing that, but the NSAC has a hard-on for special adavnatges due to clothing...same reason for no gi's in the UFC.

Not saying it shouldn't be allowed, just sayin'...

People also think that NSAC = UFC for some reason... like saying "why doesn't the UFC allow shoes?" when it's not up to them... its up to some buearucratic faggot from the NSAC.

I hear ya

"Does wearing gloves give punching an advantage?"

The gloves give strikers an advantage over not wearing them but the playing field is considered level since all fighters have to wear the gloves.

I don't think wrestling shoes have any place in MMA, IMO...It's MMA, not wrestling...

"not much of an advantage for Kickboxing setups"

I disagree, simply because I could benefit from more grip on the canvas/cage floor, as would others...think kicks to the face, legs, abdomen with much more power...

It gives advantage...so they level the playing field by not allowing them...

"Look at PRIDE, some wear shoes, some don't, it is entirely a fighter preference thing"

Pride in the USA didn't allow fighters to wear shoes...

PRIDE has to follow NSAC rules in Nevada

that's why they don't allow stomps and soccer kicks either

Watch Tito slip around during that last fight. They either need to give them shoes or do something to the mat, because watching the UFC reminds me of the KOTC they held outside in the rain.

Down with Xyience logos!

The slipping on the Logos and Mats is a Very common occurrence

"PRIDE has to follow NSAC rules in Nevada
that's why they don't allow stomps and soccer kicks either"

oh i see...

The mats gets slippery because of sweat and blood...

What do the shooto/pancrase guys wear...?

Are those like wrestling shoes with muay thai pads over them or what? I've never seen a pair in person...