Wrestling Titles (All American, NCAA)?????????????

Ok, in real wrestling (Folkstyle, Free Style, Greco Roman) what are the titles/acheivments?

There is High School Level (Folk Style), College Level (Free Style or Greco Roman), World level (is there a world level??), Olympic Level (I know there is Olympic level!).

So....... what are these acheivements people get. Stuff like State Champ, All American, NCAA Champion, BLA BLA Champion, etc).

How hard are these to get? What World level events are there other than the Olympics? Didn't Matt Hamill (very good wrestler) win a championship in wrestling, world level, but only against other deaf wrestlers?

So what are the titles for all these different level of wrestling events?

IF someone is a heavyweight wrestler in college, how many titles are there? is the NCAA champion the best wrestler in the country in his weight class, beating all of the best of the best in the entire country in a tournament style bracket? Or are there NCAA titles for every level of school, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA, ETC?

Is there an NCAA HW Champ in AA wrestling and AAAAA wrestling? Does it even work like that?

Folkstyle= State champ, National Champ
Collegiate= Conference Champ, All-American (placed in the national championship meet) National Champion
Freestyle= National Champion, World Champion, Olympic Champion (world champ and olympic champ are really about the same, but for whatever reason, Olympic champs are more prestigious)

ttt

ttt

what about the different size colleges? Tito wrestled at a Junior colleged, that would be A or AAA, maybe AAA, are there 5 NCAA HW Champions in Freestyle and Greco Roman Wrestling each year? A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA?

How many HW NCAA wrestling champions are there in 1 year.

Juijitsuboxer - Ok, in real wrestling (Folkstyle, Free Style, Greco Roman) what are the titles/acheivments?

There is High School Level (Folk Style), College Level (Free Style or Greco Roman), World level (is there a world level??), Olympic Level (I know there is Olympic level!).

So....... what are these acheivements people get. Stuff like State Champ, All American, NCAA Champion, BLA BLA Champion, etc).

How hard are these to get? What World level events are there other than the Olympics? Didn't Matt Hamill (very good wrestler) win a championship in wrestling, world level, but only against other deaf wrestlers?

So what are the titles for all these different level of wrestling events?
high school has the state tournaments though for some states they don't mean very much. There are qualifiers that differ from state to state so the best wrestlers in the state are at the state tournament, but some states have 5 divisions so you end up having 70 state champions a year (14 weight classes) in a state like Georgia. 

Other states like New Jersey I believe have 2 or some like California have 1 division. Winning that is clearly more prestigious. 

There are nationals for high school as well. There are also tournaments that are open to everyone so top level highschoolers getting ready for college may face top level DI wrestlers.

College wrestling in the NCAAs is generally folk style as well. slightly different rues from highschool, but its still called folk style to the best of my knowledge. There are three main divisions in the NCAAs: DIII, DII, and DI.( there are other divisions, such as NAIA, JUCO etc) DI is the most highly regarded. top 8 is considered an All-American. The wrestlers have to qualify for this tournament. Winning the DI NCAA championships doesnt mean you are the #1 wrestler in the country at that weight. In fact they rarely are, however they are often towards the top. Guys who compete on the US national team or are training for the olympics are often better.

brock lesar was a D1 champion. Randy couture placed 2nd.

Joe Veres was a DII champ

Hamill was a 3 time DIII champ but did well in many matches against good DI wrestlers including a win over a future DI champ (though at the time hamill was in college and the guy was in highschool at one of those tournaments mentioned in the highschool section above) Hamill wasn't a real world champ. He won the Deaf Olympics or something. Dont get me wrong, hamill is a great wrestler, but not a world champ.

One Man Army was a NAIA champ I believe

Jamie Varner was a JUCO (junior college I believe) champ

Any college title is prestigious. DI is generally recognized as the best.

on an international level the US does have a team. In fact, Kurt Angle said his hardest tournament wasnt the olympics but rather wrestlign internationally against the Russians (I think it was them).

hope that cleared some of your questions up

High School = Usually there are League/division trnys, then section/regional trnys, then states. Each one is a qualifier for the next level. They also have Jr. nationals which are H.S. freestyle & Greco trnys in the summer.

In college, there are a bunch of conferences that you need to qualify for national trnys and the top 8 at nationals are All Americans. They have NCAA and NAIA Division 1, 2, and 3 (I think), so there are literally thousands of All Americans each year. 8 per weight class in various divisions and national athletic bodies.

Hope that helps.

Ecko Unltd has a much more detailed explaination^^^^^

frontrowbrian - 
Roo Badley - Ecko Unltd has a much more detailed explaination^^^^^
he barely mentioned the international scene which is the highest level of amateur wrestling competition.

True. That's what I know least about. Thanks for adding

Joe Veres got 6th, 7th, and 8th I believe, but never won it. Just thought I would throw that out there!! Shane Carwin was a 3x D2 finalist and won nationals his senior year. That being said I agree with Ecko!!

Didn't Babalu medal in the pan am games or something like that as well. I remember being impressed when I heard it but I can't think of what he did.

Babalu won a bronze medal in Greco Roman at the 2005 Pan American Wrestling Championship in Guatemala.  He competed at 120kg (heavyweight  - up a weight class for him) where he was a last-minute replacement for an injured Rodrigo Artilheiro on the Brazilian team.  He hadn't been training specifically in wrestling beforehand.  He did it just a few weeks after beating Travis Wiuff at UFC 52.     

Hamill was a 3x NCAA wrestling champion from 1997-1999 in NCAA Division III, which includes teams like Wartburg, Augsburg, Delaware Valley, Coe College, Kings College, Elmhurst, Olivet, Johns Hopkins, Case Western Reserve, SUNY Brockport, etc.  He wrestled for Rochester Institue fo Technology.

Hamill also won a gold medal in freestyle at the 2001 Summer Deaflympics, and a silver medal in greco.  I've never heard of the Deaflympics before, and it's not clear to me why deaf athletes need their own Olympics, but there you go.

Ecko Unltd - on an international level the US does have a team. In fact, Kurt Angle said his hardest tournament wasnt the olympics but rather wrestlign internationally against the Russians (I think it was them).

What you might be thinking of is the tournament in Tbilisi, in Soviet Georgia, which was thought to be harder to win than the Olympics or worlds. The reason for that was that the various countries that made up the USSR obviously were and are very strong in wrestling, but at the Olympics the Soviet team could only qualify one wrestler per weight, out of all those countries. At Tbilisi, on the other hand, you'd have to wrestle through a number of Russians, Georgians, Ukrainians, Belarussians and wrestlers from across the rest of the USSR, so the pool was a lot deeper. Dave Schultz was the only American who ever won it twice. Of course, the USSR collapsed during Angle's wrestling career, so that dynamic has obviously changed and the Tbilisi tournament has lost some of its lustre. Winning the Olympics, on the other hand, has arguably become tougher than it used to be.

frontrowbrian - 
Roo Badley - Ecko Unltd has a much more detailed explaination^^^^^
he barely mentioned the international scene which is the highest level of amateur wrestling competition.

I was talking about being more detailed than my post :)

good info by all..

Juijitsuboxer - what about the different size colleges? Tito wrestled at a Junior colleged, that would be A or AAA, maybe AAA, are there 5 NCAA HW Champions in Freestyle and Greco Roman Wrestling each year? A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA?

How many HW NCAA wrestling champions are there in 1 year.

Tito was Juco for two years and NCAA Div 1 for the other two

You have NCAA Div I II III etc depending on the size of the school

In college you can be on the national team (freestyle/greco) and on the NCAA team at your school (Folk style)

In the PAC 10 you have Duel meets and tournaments in the early part of the year to establish seeding for the PAC 10 Championships (the early tournaments plus your duel record placed you in your specific seeds. From there you go to the NCAA Championships

frontrowbrian - 
Sijan - Babalu won a bronze medal in Greco Roman at the 2005 Pan American Wrestling Championship in Guatemala.  He competed at 120kg (heavyweight  - up a weight class for him) where he was a last-minute replacement for an injured Rodrigo Artilheiro on the Brazilian team.  He hadn't been training specifically in wrestling beforehand.  He did it just a few weeks after beating Travis Wiuff at UFC 52.     
the FILA database says he finished 6th in 2001. no record of him wrestling in 2005 according to database.

http://www.iat.uni-leipzig.de/datenbanken/dbwrest/start.php

The third place finish in 2005 is listed for freestyle, not Greco.

No, heavyweight.