Wristlock Throw????

By the way

I've used wristlocks as 'come-alongs' many times while bouncing and they've proven effective. That being said, there's a huge difference between locking up a belligerent drunk who's just pushing/resisting than there is catching and wristlocking a guy who's actually throwing bombs.

My 2c

wrist locks are great to control drunks esp. when the security out numbers the drunk.

if you try to wristlock someone who is throwing bombs, means your not protecting yourself from the punches, means if the guy can box a little your getting ktfo.

HODNEY - Yes, I use them all the time in (grappling) sparring. They are high percentage from various positions on the ground, and you can DEFINITELY catch people with them when standing as well. Like ANY good technique though, it's all in the timing and how you set it up.

click bjj PR - Never said I could do it on a pro boxer's jab. Roy Harris has repeatedly said he has trained to catch people in wristlocks off the jab, but the minute you throw the word "Pro" in there you are also changing the conditions. How many of us on THIS FORUM can "catch" a Pro-fighter in a choke? armlock? kneebar? Doesn't mean they are worthless techniques by any means.

rebel927 - small joint manipulation is banned in MMA, which (to me) means fingers and toes. Wrist locks are extremely difficult when your wrists are TAPED however, which is why you don't (and won't) see them in MMA. Wrist locks can still be done against cloth wraps pretty easily, but a well-taped wrist is gonna be a mutha to get to bend.

Unclegruntly - first off, the people who train FUNCTIONAL wristlocks are NOT saying you need to spend years and years training them, NOR are we saying you need 27 different variations. That's the crap that people who train with COOPERATIVE wristlocks tell you, not people who train against RESISTANCE. Secondly, if you DO spend "years" perfecting a technique, then you are developing your skills to work against a TRAINED opponent. No different than training for years to armlock and choke people out. Thirdy, if the guy can't fight then you don't even need a jab or cross!! All you need to do is duck under his wild haymaker, take his back, and choke him out. (Then you don't even leave any marks for him to press charges over).

Like I said before - wristlocks (from standing) are great against CERTAIN TYPES of attackes. But let's keep things in perspective guys. A shin kick isn't the answer to everything. Neither is a jab-cross combo. Nor is a rear-naked choke. A flying armbar doesn't resolve every situation either. Nor does a wristlock throw.

Wrist locks are ONE TOOL in your arsenal. Please treat them as such. There is nothing mystical or magical about them, they are just ONE MORE joint lock to add to your arsenal.

UncleGruntly

"Why then spend your whole life perfecting 3000 techniques that only work on guys who can't fight?"

I think this is the wrong approach.

Train the high percentage stuff to a high degree of skill and applicability. Train the low percentage stuff just enough so you can use it IF the opportunity presents itself.

"BTW almost impossible to wrist lock any-one holding a fist."

Maybe. But if you get punched in the head and you open your hand and its close enough for the other guy to grab then it might be easier.

Now if you get punched in the head and your hand isn't close enough to grab - then we obviously gotta do something else.

"Break the wrist and walk away"
* Rex Kwon Do *

LMAO!

"Bow to your sensei.....BOW TO YOUR SENSEI!!"

HODNEY - Yes, I use them all the time in (grappling) sparring. They are high percentage from various positions on the ground, and you can DEFINITELY catch people with them when standing as well. Like ANY good technique though, it's all in the timing and how you set it up.

I guess I'll have to take your word on it.  I've never seen anyone pull off a wristlock throw in my 10 years of being involved in BJJ/Judo and a few years of traditional stuff before that. 

The only 2 standing locks I have ever seen work in a competitive environment are the waki gatame and Jacare's wrist lock where he grabs it from standing but goes to the ground.  Neither of those are really throws. 

Against a real live resisting opponent you have to be in a good position of control. Those standing aikido looking things will never work unless the person is completely unsuspecting its just to easy to resist punch with the other hand pull your hand out in these demos you always see the guy standing completely still and just holding his hand out meekly or othereise running in and doing backflips when the guy touches his wrist this is fucking stupid.

Does it work? Segal has been using them for many many years in several movies idiot.

LOL-There are a lot of wristlocks. You simply have to know what will work when. And that is a matter of how you are taught and practice.

I once saw Igor Zinoviev wristlock a guy at Scores. It was vicious. He dragged the guy out with the lock on.

...yeah, what Adam said.

Wristlocks can work pretty well, you just have to punch your opponent in the face first. I believe this is called "atemi."

wrist locks work, but mostly on untrained opponents. They've served me well in law enforcement and before that when I bounced.

Well said Mr. Nemo.

"Why then spend your whole life perfecting 3000 techniques that only work on guys who can't fight?"

3000? I don't know about that, but I do know that a very small percentage of the population actually knows how to fight.

"If your opponent can't fight, you punch him in the head hard and, he falls down... simple..."

and then he hits his head on the curb and dies and you go to jail. Simple. Sometimes controlling your attacker is a better option. Beside all that, unless you are bigger then your attacker, you really can't depend on just punching.

Part of the problem with wristlocks in sparring is that you have to really crank them to make them work. Unless you are willing to be injuring and getting injured left and right then they are really not that practical for sparring. You can't really apply slow pressure with a wristlock because they are so easy to resist. You have to grab and just crank in one motion, not giving your opponent time to tap, thus making it impractical for training purposes.

edited: ^with SOME wristlocks. Compounding them, or sometimes I have heard of them as wrist crushes, work quite well in sparring and I have used them numerous times.

if done correctly, no can defend!

I trained Aikido for a year in the early 90's (be nice) and I can't count the amount of times I wrist locked people working as a bouncer. The most effective technique was the shoulder pin, however. I had to hold a big fat guy on the ground for 30min before the cops came once, but he was going nowhere and I was kneeling behind him, so as to see who might be trying to kick me in the head! In grappling, you can catch them once in a while, but they seem to work best when someone is standing and doing something stupid like grabbing your shirt. I really found a book by Wally Jay called small-circle ju-jitsu to be helpful, although mostly concerned with twisting the shit out of people's fingers (small joint manipulation.

Glock4life -- nice to see a cop that doesn't have to go for the pepper at the first sign of danger!

Resistance is futile. Wristlocks RULE!

Wristlocks have been a legitimate part of jujitsu for years. Must be a reason for it.