Wristlocks NOT allowed in the UFC

ZeSaku - this is standing?
jackel/NattoMatto - agreed.
Steamfitter - I didn't say no one ever resists a cop. They only work when they aren't resisting however.
BTillett42 - Interesting, were you resisting (standing)?
jkkazmier - but they "don't work" in a fight...

I think the original poster ran off cause we didn't help him prove his point. Let just hope he is enlightened now.

I'm right here. Some people did help me.

"BTillett42 - Interesting, were you resisting (standing)?"

We were not all out fighting, but we were all out grappling and throwing each other around 100%.

Brett

Interesting. Do you know of any video clips or events were you've seen them working, *standing*?

"jkkazmier - but they "don't work" in a fight"

you obvioulsy haven't read any of the comments - they may be hard to pull off but to say the don't work if applied correctly is just being ignorant. Why are you so against them? If you had more experience with them you might see their effectiveness - you can never have enough tools for defense.

They are possibly low-percentage, technically they don't seem to have enough leverage, when will I see one working?

"technically they don't seem to have enough leverage, "

have some one put you in a comalong and tell me they don't have enough leverage.

NattoMatto

The fact that you think Aikido, Hapkido and other TMAs base their entire art on wrist locks is pretty laughable if you ask me.

Guys, just because something isn't used in MMA doesn't automatically mean it doesn't work. For the longest time people were saying you shouldn't kick to the head. Then when Crocop starts doing it and racking up knockouts all of sudden its cool. Same thing with Judo throws before people started working it into their game.

left - standing?
jkkazmier - I've had people put them on me without resistance. Some people say they might have seen one in competition, now I need to see that.

The wristlocks in BJJ are not the same as the ones in Aikido/Hapkido/Steven Seagal films.

Aikido/Hapkido primarily uses a twisting wristlock to lock out the wrist/elbow/shoulder joint. This is the one Steven Seagal uses to toss people over tables etc.

BJJ uses primarily two crushing wristlocks, both of these involve forcing the wrist past the 90 degree angle towards the forearm.

Fredson Paxio broke Yuki Nakai's wrist with a goose-neck wrist lock from Nakai's back.

Jacare won a match in the Pan Ams with a cow-hand from standing by pulling in on his opponent's tricep while he had his hand flat on Jacare's chest.

Anyway, don't confuse BJJ wristlocks with Hapkido and Aikido wristlocks. They is different!

Used properly in BJJ, the wristlock is a loyal friend who is always there to lend a hand, or break one off.

I personally never saw someone get sub'd in a standing lock but I have had people try to slap them on me standing. Suprised the hell out of me and even hurt but i got away. i for sure think someone good at them could make them work.

wristlocks on the ground rock. i get them all the time because most people arent even aware when they're in danger when i look at them

8Limb - maybe we'll see them soon then?
wombat - agreed, BJJ wristlocks work.
Buffgeo - on the ground, yes.
"Jacare won a match in the Pan Ams with a cow-hand from standing by pulling in on his opponent's tricep while he had his hand flat on Jacare's chest." I'd love to see this.

they work mostly on the ground. The one I hit is from oma plata.

ok thanks Charles.

I had my right wrist broken with a standing wristlock once. It was either an aki-jujutsu or akido one, they are similar. I didn't have time to tap. They are very effective, assuming as always that the person applying them knows what they're doing

Thanks MuayThaidaddy
hornbuckle - where would you go to learn them? I believe you, but I have to see them work for myself.

"Jacare won a match in the Pan Ams with a cow-hand from standing by pulling in on his opponent's tricep while he had his hand flat on Jacare's chest." -

That's why this is so interesting.

Blade, my sensei is very good at akido and japanese jujutsu, although those are not his core arts. Other than coming to train with us, you might look for an akido school that is real light on the philosphy and heavy on reality training, an aki-jujutsu school(rare), or a traditional japanese jujutsu school that is light on weapons and heavy on street stuff.

Some akido schools are basically cults that do arobics, and some are no nonsense bone breaking clinics. Like everything else, it just depends on where you go

2 semi related things: i like having mount and going for the wrist lock, the moment wrist is in jeopardy, i takr the arm. ---- and heath kept grabbing minos fingers to avoid the rear naked choke in pride......

I use them a lot, usually on my wrestling buddies who are so damned strong an armbar is almost out of the question. The downside to such great strength is usually a loss of flexibility in the forearms.

Wristlock city.

Never finished one from standing, but they do force your opponent to move, setting up your takedown.

I use the wrist to finish an omoplata, but my favorite is to simply figure four the wrist from mount, and stand up. Their own weight forces the tap.