Writer loses his sh*t over hippie squatters.

This is the video the writer watched before writing this article.

http://detroit.jalopnik.com/its-ok-for-hipsters-to-squat-in-detroits-blight-becaus-1620012032

One of the many, many things holding Detroit back is the lack of a stable tax base that comes with owning property because either so many people have left the city or people want to live in homes for free. So when people do try to live for free, it can be problematic.

Squatters are going to be found in every major city, but Detroit has more than its fair share because we have so many vacant homes here. Sometimes squatters cause problems for well-intentioned neighbors; they can be unkempt, they can be rude, they can be loud, but most of all, they're getting off scot-free while the people around them grapple with increased water bills, high property taxes and insurance costs.

So when people actively campaign for squatting and endorse it, I have a problem with it. I don't think it's helping Detroit's situation. The video above is a "nice, quiet, off the grid" house for travelers, writers and other creative types. They said they cleaned it out and added some "beautification," but to me it looks like an unsafe, filthy shithole:

"No electricity, no running water, but we have candles and kerosene lanterns...for creative artists, it's a great way to for a grassroots movement, for people to start to make a living as independent artists, musicians, people who are good at recycling and turning shit into gold."

I defy anyone to prove to me how this will help in the long run. We talk all day about how "at least someone's coming to Detroit so you should be happy that someone's helping," but they're not contributing anything to the city's finances. Want to have an art studio? OK, rent a broom closet in one of the many legit warehouses and other creative spaces like everyone else. Want to start a hostel? Buy a fucking house at the county auction for a grand, cut the fucking grass and restore it properly just like everyone else.

Oh, but wait -- Detroit's basically a blank canvas for people like this guy. Because that's what he says.

"It is kind of a counterculture movement of creative expression. People are trying to express themselves through their creative faculties to make a statement about society and the larger society that we live in. Detroit just happens to be a perfect location for that because it's bankrupt, under an emergency manager, there's a lot of demolition and destruction, and violence and crime in the city, and it takes a community to pull together to make stuff work around here."

I fail to see how junk piled up in a dilapidated house you have no intention on fixing up is going to help pull the community together. I guarantee if this guy was any race but white, he'd be told to get his shit together and pay up like everyone else. (And I've been engaged in debate as to whether the guy in the video is a hipster or a hippie. Call them hipsquatters, if you will.)

This isn't a rebirth of Detroit, like this video says. It's fucking blight and freeloaders, and the city needs to crack down on this shit.

"Did some restoration/beautification work..."

hahahaha. Fuckin' hippies.

Mihow - how many times has that man been forced to suck cock at gunpoint?

MrBean - "Did some restoration/beautification work..."

hahahaha. Fuckin' hippies.

Apart from the gaping hole in the ceiling with shit falling out if it, it looks like they put a lot of work into the place!

better yet ... lets start a charity transporting hipsters to detroit

hipsters get to create a community like they always envisioned

we get to live without hipsters

win-win

"Artists" are the shock troops of gentrification.

If you don't understand that comment (like that "writer") you have no place discussing economics.

Yes that place is a shit hole, wonder what it was like before the hippies moved in?

Mihow - how many times has that man been forced to suck cock at gunpoint?
I can tell you twice, but that was at knife point since I don't own a gun.

To be honest, I don't think the knife was necessary in making him blow me, but it was definitely a necessity for me to reach climax.

Call me a sadistic prick if you want, but I gave that man some inspiration for his next novella and therefor I feel that I am doing my part in helping rebuild Motown, or as I now call it, M'ohhhh my god that hipster gives good head'town. Phone Post 3.0

Vulva Fabulous -
Mihow - how many times has that man been forced to suck cock at gunpoint?
I can tell you twice, but that was at knife point since I don't own a gun.

To be honest, I don't think the knife was necessary in making him blow me, but it was definitely a necessity for me to reach climax.

Call me a sadistic prick if you want, but I gave that man some inspiration for his next novella and therefor I feel that I am doing my part in helping rebuild Motown, or as I now call it, M'ohhhh my god that hipster gives good head'town. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks for doing your part man. Phone Post 3.0

I don't have a problem with this. The house wasn't going to be upgraded anyway, so who cares? It definitely isn't bringing down the real estate prices in the neighborhood. No harm, no foul. An artist community is actually what Detroit needs. Hippies can attract hipsters, who in turn will not really want to live in squalor. They in turn will purchase houses with electricity and water and turn it into a cool (hipster) place to live. There are examples of other crappy neighborhoods in major cities that were turned around by the artist community.

"We have great dance parties every full moon."

As goofy as that sounds, I wonder how much fucking is going down at those parties.

ttt

cooper367 - "We have great dance parties every full moon."

As goofy as that sounds, I wonder how much fucking is going down at those parties.

all kinds of dirty hippie sex.

StevetheWeasel - LOL.

Author sounds like a total scumbag.

Good on those people for making use of what's there.

Liberia agrees.

Having them there neither helps nor hurts. Those hippies have to be somewhere, so they might as well be in abandoned housing in Detroit.

at least they are  not the type of squatters that wont move out when the owners want to use the property, cant really see a bunch of hippies putting up much of a fuss about getting kicked out.

CormierCumminsideme - 

nothing wrong with these people living as they please. Writer butthurt over living in a city that turned into a pyramid scheme.

This.

Its one thing to squat in someones home they are trying to live in when they are away on vacation or serving in the military or something.

But a house that is just completely abandoned is better off with some hippies squatting there then nothing else.

Met him at Dr Bob's drum circle....

I can't imagine how bad that place stinks. Unwashed hippies, weed, petculli, and god knows what else.

detroit will be the new park slope

JCMcGee - "Artists" are the shock troops of gentrification.

If you don't understand that comment (like that "writer") you have no place discussing economics.

Yes that place is a shit hole, wonder what it was like before the hippies moved in?

Correct. Williamsburg was a shithole too until the hip young artsy types started moving in 30 years ago. Now it's one of the most desirable and expensive neighborhoods in NYC.

It's not like anything else is happening there.