WTF did Hardy keep on clinch/grappling?

Poster fight for doing exactly the wrong thing when you're winning the fight standing or have the guy hurt?

Yeah, good call on Kongo. He coulda finished Cain probably too.

I dont get it. Hardy/Kongo are both strikers, why would they go against their striking instinct when they have their opponents hurt....from striking.

Because if he beat him up on the feet for several rounds and didn't make it somewhat of a wrestling/clinch fight, he knew the judges wouldn't give him the nod for simply outstriking Mike. He had to do some stand and pray.

Poopyface TomatoNose - Because if he beat him up on the feet for several rounds and didn't make it somewhat of a wrestling/clinch fight, he knew the judges wouldn't give him the nod for simply outstriking Mike. He had to do some stand and pray.

You meant Wall 'n' Stall.

well he did get the takedown in the 3rd round, i'm guessing his strategy was to take swick down?

loll at Wall 'n' Stall

BJJkilla - well he did get the takedown in the 3rd round, i'm guessing his strategy was to take swick down?

Yeah, particularly if you haven't finished someone yet, you try the next best thing to finish them.

My only guess is that he used the GSP/Penn strategy...tire out the arms of a quicker fighter by clinching.

Lol at Swick being quicker

LordSeano - Lol at Swick being quicker

Im not seeing the lol.

Mike Swick is well known for being quick, its not just a fancy nickname. Hardy knew this and neutralised him and fought a very clever fight.

Carl Weathers - Necause thats how you win fights in the UFC

This. I don't think he wanted to take any chances with Swick standing, so he would score/stall than rinse and repeat.

The whole time I was wondering why Hardy would break off where he was clearly dominant, maybe a little worried swick would catch him pulling out of the clinch.

The Mammoth - 
LordSeano - Lol at Swick being quicker

Im not seeing the lol.

Mike Swick is well known for being quick, its not just a fancy nickname. Hardy knew this and neutralised him and fought a very clever fight.

He is quick - but I think Hardy is quicker.

Swick is fast in the sense in terms of flurrying/multiple punches but the counter that rocked Swick early in the fight is, for me, the example of why I think Hardy is quicker. I'm talking the speed of reaction that allowed him to connect with shots like that.

Hardy was getting faster, more accurate punches off and using them beautifully to counter Swick as he came in.

I thought Hardy was having much more success on his feet and walked through any shots Swick hit him with.

Thats my reasoning

Hey Im not saying he isnt quick. For me Hardy looked much quicker.

It obviously wasnt a one sided beat down but Hardy appeared to me to have decisive edge in speed

I think it was a mistake too...Swick had no answer for Hardy in the striking department

This was more frustrating than the Couture/Vera affair.

Vera could not stop Couture's clinching.

Swick couldnt stop Hardy's striking but Hardy diverged from what was likely gonna get him the finish. Weird.