WWE TV Broadcast Deal With FOX Looking More Likely

It's looking increasingly likely that WWE will be joining FOX in a major broadcasting deal after it has emerged that UFC's talks with the network are not going that well. 

Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer revealed that FOX made an offer to UFC and a deal had hoped to be locked in by the end of 2017 but some three months later nothing has been signed and given they could purchase WWE broadcasting rights for the same amount with higher ratings their focus appears to be shifted.

“There is a lot of talk that UFC television negotiations are not going well. The company had hoped to have the deal done by the end of last year, and now we’re almost in April with no sign of a deal being done and the target looks like the summer for an announcement. There have been some stories along with the word on the street that UFC and FOX would likely be done. FOX made UFC an offer but now it looks like FOX is more interested in WWE, as they could get WWE for similar money and WWE would deliver higher ratings. Still, FS 1 and FS 2 have relied on UFC for a live percentage of their programming for years.”

If WWE does sign with FOX there have been rumors that Monday Night Raw would be cut to 2 hours as FOX local affiliates air news programming in the 10pm slot.

Interesting.

So if they're talking about local affiliates airing news, does that mean Raw would be on the main Fox tv station? Meaning network programming and not cable? Has Raw ever been on a network?

And I don't watch live TV - has Fox had any popular shows on Monday nights in recent history? Because this would mean displacing all their Monday night programming throughout the year.

I'm guessing SD would then be moved to something like FX?

I heard Fox Sports 1 for SmackDown. And good. Raw needs to be 2 hours.

RAW being 2 hours might be enough to get me to watch RAW live again.

OJTT_Wiggy - Interesting.

So if they're talking about local affiliates airing news, does that mean Raw would be on the main Fox tv station? Meaning network programming and not cable? Has Raw ever been on a network?

And I don't watch live TV - has Fox had any popular shows on Monday nights in recent history? Because this would mean displacing all their Monday night programming throughout the year.

I'm guessing SD would then be moved to something like FX?

Gotham used to be the big Monday night show, but they moved it last season.  This past season it was Lucifer and The Gifted on Monday nights for Fox.  I can't imagine either of those shows would be untouchable regarding a move to another night.  

Prayers for no more pg stuff

Good. I can watch live instead of waiting for Hulu the following day. 

UPDATE:

Dave Meltzer reported in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that there are rumors floating around that the partnership between FOX and the UFC could be done. The longtime pro wrestling journalist noted that FOX did make the UFC an offer, but they now look to be more interested in WWE.

The TV Network could get WWE for similar money as they would UFC, but WWE would provide them with higher ratings. If FOX did sign WWE, then Raw would be placed on big FOX and cut down to 2-hours while SmackDown Live would go to FOX Sports 1.

WWE’s television contract is expiring in 2019 with the USA Network.

Herbish1 - 

If they're going from cable to network - especially in prime time - there's absolutely no way they're gonna go edgier.

I've said it a million times. the WWE being PG doesn't crack my top 100 problems with the WWE right now.

RKing85 - I've said it a million times. the WWE being PG doesn't crack my top 100 problems with the WWE right now.

I see so many people say this but it is quite clearly one of the main problems. I was a kid around 11 or 12 at the start of the attitude era, and i absolutely loved it. I think a big issue for many people around my age is they were so use to a more edgy product growing up, and now its laughable to expect a kid friendly show to entertain them as adults.

OJTT_Wiggy -
Herbish1 - 

If they're going from cable to network - especially in prime time - there's absolutely no way they're gonna go edgier.

Someone mentioned FX, that’s what I was referring to.  

WATHUNT - 
RKing85 - I've said it a million times. the WWE being PG doesn't crack my top 100 problems with the WWE right now.

I see so many people say this but it is quite clearly one of the main problems. I was a kid around 11 or 12 at the start of the attitude era, and i absolutely loved it. I think a big issue for many people around my age is they were so use to a more edgy product growing up, and now its laughable to expect a kid friendly show to entertain them as adults.

i think a lot of people forget how truly awful a lot of the attitude era was. i think adults would have a much harder time watching some of that total garbage as opposed to a middle of the road boring show that we have now. a PG show could be a lot more entertaining if it wasn't three hours and/or had better wrestling.

evh -
WATHUNT - 

i think a lot of people forget how truly awful a lot of the attitude era was. i think adults would have a much harder time watching some of that total garbage as opposed to a middle of the road boring show that we have now. a PG show could be a lot more entertaining if it wasn't three hours and/or had better wrestling.

I've watched plenty attitude era stuff on the network. The actual wrestling is alot better now but everything else is much much worse 

They can teach anybody the wrestling aspect... It takes a special type of person to excel in the story aspect of wrestling. Which imo is the most important part of being a wrestler..

From the writers, etc.. Good storylines and the wrestlers who can actually carry the stories is vital to a good overall product..

armbarheelhook - They can teach anybody the wrestling aspect... It takes a special type of person to excel in the story aspect of wrestling. Which imo is the most important part of being a wrestler..

From the writers, etc.. Good storylines and the wrestlers who can actually carry the stories is vital to a good overall product..

100% agree

WATHUNT -
evh -
WATHUNT - 

I've watched plenty attitude era stuff on the network. The actual wrestling is alot better now but everything else is much much worse 

This

Raw 2 hours and Vince focused on his XFL is just what the doctor ordered.

armbarheelhook - They can teach anybody the wrestling aspect... It takes a special type of person to excel in the story aspect of wrestling. Which imo is the most important part of being a wrestler..

Yup, I've always said they are not just using athletes or need athletes, they need athletic actors those have always been the best "Workers" in selling, kayfabe and story.