WWF Flair vs Hogan 91(VIDEO)

Worth a watch. From 1991 msg. Selling is everything. Honestly I think a huge part of the reason Vince didnt do hogan vs flair at mania was that it didn't feel like two legendary giants. It was the right match to make from a business and story perspective(the two world champions.) However I dont think think Vince felt the same electricity during their royal rumble interactions as for example as he did with warrior/hogan. Hogan vs Sid gave Vince the battle of titans like he prefers. Vince prefers hype and "mythos" rather than sport if that makes sense.

Match spoiler: with all that said I think this sort of finish would have made the crowd gaga at mania. The antics legit surprised me. Have hogan get the win after the shenanigans and the crowd would have gone bezerk. Also I cant help but feel this is one of the few times that hogan's offense of back rakes, bites, etc. All hurt flair's heelish schtick.

Flair obviously could make anything work, but this one was a tad bit out of Hogan's typical wheelhouse, as he was usually accustomed to selling and coming back on big, imposing heels.  Also, the "New York" s t y l e of wrestling, crowd interactions, and match flow just wasn't Flair's strong suit, and limited his effect.  Just watching him in the ring getting ready before Hogan's music hit was very "meh".  The WWF crowds were very different than the NWA's.  They were loud, but very sterile.  Even back then, it was very corporate, very homogenized, very difficult to zero in on the people themselves and make them a part of the show, which was what Flair was so good at.  Both guys were some of the best ever at what they did, maybe THE best, but they did it in different ways, and unfortunately, you couldn't do both in the same ring at the same time, and have everything get over. 

It wasn't that this match or feud was bad, it's just that Vince Mcmahon didn't put the steam behind it that he could have.  It should have been much more than it was, but he just wasn't going to let that happen.  In his opinion, WWF was the big leagues, and nothing or no one else that he didnt create himself was going to be in 1st place.

hogan is a clod and vince is a dunce. nothing could succeed with those two goons against it

So has there ever been a concret reason as to why this didn't main even WM8? I've heard so many reasons over the years, the main one that WWE employees seem to say is that they did Hogan/Flair a few months prior on house shows and it didn't draw as well as they expected. 

To me, there's no viable argument that Sid/Hulk was a better main event than Flair/Hogan. 

Jones right nostril -

So has there ever been a concret reason as to why this didn't main even WM8? I've heard so many reasons over the years, the main one that WWE employees seem to say is that they did Hogan/Flair a few months prior on house shows and it didn't draw as well as they expected. 

To me, there's no viable argument that Sid/Hulk was a better main event than Flair/Hogan. 

Yeah there really is a mish mash of explanations without anything definitive.

-either hogan or flair not willing to lose with hogan leaving to do Hollywood

-vince not being being happy with the house show matches

- vince not being impressed with the "aura" of the match

-vince wanting sid to be hogan's successor

TheBearStare - 
Jones right nostril -

Yeah there really is a mish mash of explanations without anything definitive.

-either hogan or flair not willing to lose with hogan leaving to do Hollywood

-vince not being being happy with the house show matches

- vince not being impressed with the "aura" of the match

-vince wanting sid to be hogan's successor

If I was rebooking WM8, I would have had Jake win the Rumble and become champion. Then do Savage vs Jake at Mania for the title. That feud was hot and I've always thought it was weird they take it all the way to Mania. 

Do Flair/Hogan as the main event non title. Hell, I'm sure Flair would have had no issue putting Hogan over. 

1 Like