XAML is bad to the bone!

[geek]

I've always liked HTML as a presentation layer, and even gone as far as to write software based on binary DHTML behaviors because the UI kicks the shit out of Win32 forms. But I've always had to wrestle with creating custom attributes and not having the a very good object model with MSHTML to tap into everything. Yeah, getElementByID and getElementByTagName is OK, but it would be nice to get a collection based on attribute names, etc. XAML is a whole new way of thinking when it comes ot UIs. Having markup is going to blow the roof off of desktop development. I can't wait for this to be mainstream, it is truly an awesome idea that I've been waiting years to see come to fruition.

[/geek]

XAML?

is this some DTD of XML?

Negative. Think of HTML as the markup for a Web UI. XAML is like a more extensible HTML; however, it isn't limited to Web UIs. You get custom tags, custom attributes and a whole framework supporting it. There's no better way to create a UI than markup.

Here's XAML...

<Button Background="LightSeaGreen" FontSize="24pt">
    Calculate
</Button>

Here's code...

Button btn = new Button();
btn.Background = Brushes.LightSeaGreen;
btn.FontSize = new FontSize(24, FontSizeType.Point);
btn.Content = "Calculate";

Uh, fucking up WHAT perfectly good open standard? Win32-based apps using GDI? That's open? How could implementing XML for GUI markup possibly be any more proprietary than Standard Windows API calls for graphics??? It can't. I think your post was a bit hasty my friend.

I'm interested in Macromedia Flex

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flex/

Big O, I'm sure XAML will be much more usable as OS-native markup and XUL could be. Do you know anyone that uses XUL outside of a browser? Anyway, XAML will be much more robust than the anti-Microsoft crowd thinks it will be, just like the .NET CLR is better than the Java VM. :-)

Just because you don't like the fact that Microsoft created a new markup language, you want to rip it out and replace it with something else. I want to rip XUL out of Mozilla and replace it with XAML simply because XUL isn't a Microsoft product - how does that make you feel? Just because you don't like the fact that Microsoft created a new markup language, you want to rip it out and replace it with something else. Did you stop for even a moment to consider what a monumental task that would be? Why don't you just ask for someone to repaint the Empire State Building? Or have it moved a block over? Or transported to Sweden?