Xande vs Roger

Simple question. Who is better. Discuss Phone Post

They've gone against each other.. Isn't Roger 4-2? Phone Post

Actually Roger is 5 and 3 Phone Post

cross3dout - Actually Roger is 5 and 3 Phone Post

Roger by winning more and actually being much more dominant.. Roger hasn't been submitted since blue belt days and practically wins each time he's on the mat Phone Post

the 5-3 matters less to me than Rogers subs

if xande was ahead 5-3 but had 5 wins by pts and roger had 3 by sub, i would take the 3 subs

gusto - the 5-3 matters less to me than Rogers subs

if xande was ahead 5-3 but had 5 wins by pts and roger had 3 by sub, i would take the 3 subs

I like this guy Phone Post

OPenMatRadio.com just interviewed Xande and he talk about the matter

Roger hasn't fought nogi since 2007 but when he and ande last faced off at nogi in Adcc 2005 roger submitted him both times. Roger also has a points win over Xande in the Adcc 2003 -99kg bronze match.

In the gi neither roger nor xande have competed since 2010 , where roger took double gold for the 3rd time and Xande took a silver and bronze.

Head to head in the gi, roger has beaten Xande at the 2005 Mundials -97kg final and pan ams absolute final.
Xande has beaten roger at the 2006 and 2008 Mundials absolute finals and the 2006 pan ams -97kg finals.
Roger owns the only sub victory between them in the gi (2006 pans), but one must acknowledge Xande took those two absolute golds
n terms of overall landscape, Roger's array of titles, the list of people who he had submitted and the run of subs across 2009/10 are unmatched.

Roger flying triangled him.

Xande talks about his history with Roger in our two part interview at Open Mat Radio.

Part 1and2 here www.openmatradio.com/category/podcasts/

gusto - the 5-3 matters less to me than Rogers subs

+1 !!!!

I'll have to listen to that podcast. However, I think Roger is head and shoulders above Xande. In the head to heads that Xande won, I think that Roger's "go for it" attitude rather than stalling and winning cost him the matches. Besides the head-to-head, I don't even know the last time Roger was submitted.

Roger is better. Xande is great though.

Xande has more noteworhy medals

Xande has competed more

Roger has more wins over Xande

But Xande has more wins when it matters (Championship matches)

What about if they fought MMA?

(sorry for the cheap plug but Xande discusses that in our podcast with him at www.OpenMatRadio.com!)

If only we could hear Xande's version of the story regarding all the times he's competed against Roger.

maybe if someone recorded a recent intreview with him or something

that would be cool.

Roger hands down. He has asserted his dominance in recent years as an absolute killer on the mat against everyone.

And I am a huge fan of Xande too!

Both top notch.

12SixElbow -  Xande has more noteworhy medals

Xande has competed more

Roger has more wins over Xande

But Xande has more wins when it matters (Championship matches)

you are correct with your last statement, but i'm not sure what you mean with your first

Xande has been a black belt longer and has more wins in the biggest match in gi (2-0 in the mundials black belt absolute final).
He also has more pan ams medals (4 black belt gold to roger's 1) and has 4 black belt titles from the copa do mundo (albeit a competition Roger had never entered)

But Roger has more black belt mundials titles (10 black belt gold to xande's 6), more absolute titles (3 to Xande's 2), more double golds (3 to Xande's 2), longer win streaks (7 weight titles in a row, 8 absolute finals in a row) & the only double gold by all submission (2009).

carcaju -  And I am a huge fan of Xande too!

Both top notch.

agreed, xande and roger were definitely on a tier above all other players for a period in the last decade.