Xbox 360 Sells Nearly 1 Million Over Thanksgiving

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1213560p1.html

With the help of Black Friday last week, the Xbox 360 had its strongest sales spike in its six-year life. Buyers grabbed some 960,000 consoles throughout the week in the United States alone, 800K of which sold in a 24 hour period. By comparison, 393,000 Xbox 360s sold through the entire month of October. In the same period, retailers sold more than 750,000 pieces of Kinect hardware. This impressive figure included individual peripherals and those bundled with Xbox 360 consoles.

Microsoft is, of course, doing backflips.

With the new Dashboard update bringing HBO Go and other fancy features to the platform on December 6, Microsoft's expecting Xbox 360 to pick up additional steam as the holiday season gets closer. The company expects the Xbox 360 to maintain its top spot on the sales charts for its 11th straight month as November draws to a close. For those keeping score, closing out December 2011 in the top spot would mean a full year as the best-selling console in the United States.

Happy holidays, indeed.

Holy fucking shit that is alot of Xboxes!!

where have you been? a new xbox has been in the works for awhile.

also just read on gizmodo that they are going to be adding the ablitity to use the xbox as a fios digital cable box, starting out with 27 channels.

i just wish i lived in a area that had fios as a cable option.

"and there is no real plans for a new console yet."

Rumor is the next Xbox will be unveiled at CES in January (or February?) and be on the shelves next fall. 

The 360 was announced and released within a year and so will the next one. I would bet on a Christmas 2012 release.

We are overdue. Hopefully the WiiU pushes MSoft and Sony to get theirs out. Phone Post

"It surprises me that people still don't own consoles"

thats what i thought, when i foolishly ventured out on black friday to buy my kids an xbox.

i was like, really, how many people out there dont already have one.

well the answer is a fucking shit ton. lol

needless to say, I didn't get one. however, i went home and checked microsoft.com and found the same deal online and bought one. 250gb bundle with 2 games, 199.

Why do we need another generation of hardware? Gameplay hasn't improved -- some would say it's devolved -- in years.

Because we want better graphics, obviously.

article didnt menton about kinect sales have been horrible slow for the rest of the year.

other then that. nice going. shows that their still is much life in old hardware and that we dont need new hardware yet.

Roy Batty - Why do we need another generation of hardware? Gameplay hasn't improved -- some would say it's devolved -- in years.

Sounds like you haven't played Portal 2. Phone Post

They are still selling the current gen, milk it for what they can before moving on.

Weren't most places doing xboxes at like half price for black friday? That would have a lot to do with it.

They're selling a lot now, because the xbox has finally hit the 200 dollar magic price point. Its a no brainer and it happens every generation.

This means that a lot of people that aren't serious about gaming, or that are too strapped on cash to shell out 300+ for a system, or that already have a PS3 are willing to buy the 360 now.

Not everyone is a hardcore gamer willing to cough up 500 bucks for a new console. In fact, most people aren't.

Fortunately for me, i was able to pick up a 4gb xbox with Kinect bundle for 200 on thanksgiving after my 4 year old xbox e74'ed on me that morning. I was going to go out for the kinect anyway, so essentially i got a new xbox for a hundred bucks.

It's all the soccer moms who bought Wii's last year getting told by their gamer kids how bad the Wii sucks.

Also, its been stated already that the old ~5 year console life cycle is a thing of the past.. Companies are pushing the 7-10 year life cycle now because the initial investment on these new consoles and their infrastucture is so big.

Graphics can't really get much better than whats out there now..
then again, i said that the first time i played Soul Calibur on the DC 10 years ago.

"Graphics can't really get much better than whats out there now.. "

They can get way, way better.
Most games aren't even 720p. Most games can't even hold a steady 30fps. These are just the most egregious technical failings.

Compare console Battlefield 3 campaign to the same game on PC at max settings and 1080p resolution.

This is Epic's real-time demo, this is what they (and we) want:

If they tried to drop a new console next year it would be a MASSIVE failure. Most gamers are pretty happy with what they have and would not want to shell out another 600 bucks when the PS3 and xbox are still holding up so well.

ImGladUmad -
orcus -  "<span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: small; ">and there is no real plans for a new console yet."

Rumor is the next Xbox will be unveiled at CES in January (or February?) and be on the shelves next fall. <br type="_moz" /></span>

I really doubt that, I thought the whole reason of kinect was to milk the 360 even more.

Then again I hope Im wrong....but realisticlly is fall 2013 + IMO

They said kinect will be compatible with the next xbox Phone Post

BigWilliam - If they tried to drop a new console next year it would be a MASSIVE failure. Most gamers are pretty happy with what they have and would not want to shell out another 600 bucks when the PS3 and xbox are still holding up so well.

This is silly. Hardcore gamers are hungry for something more powerful. The new system would be snapped up by the usual early adopters. Meanwhile the 360+Kinect could be milked for years longer before the people you mention start trickling into next-gen. Microsoft is ahead of Sony this gen for one reason, and that's that they launched first. They aren't going to risk wasting that advantage again. The difference is that this time they won't abandon the previous gen. This was the biggest month EVER for the 360; it could have PS2-like legs, especially as they continue to add features (like being usable as a cable set-top box).

Also, no chance it will be $600. $400 is the max, everyone saw Sony's enormous failure with $500/600 PS3. I expect a $300 model and a $400 model, just like last time.

3rd party devs supposedly have final development kits. Next-gen games have been under development for quite awhile now. And next-gen will not require any giant learning curves regarding the hardware; it will basically just be more capable versions of what we have now. So devs could have 360, next-gen Xbox, and PC versions of the same game very easily with minimal extra development time/cost.

I didn't say hard core, I said most. The hard cores, as always, make up a small percentage of the whole.

The hardcores were the ones that made 360 sell out at launch and for the first year at $400, they would do the same for a new system. 

360 finally has huge momentum, a devoted following, loads of support from developers, and has been profitable for awhile now...it's the perfect time for a new system, as long as they continue to support the old one (which they would be foolish not to). Make "next-gen" synonymous with "Xbox".

lol orcus,

were does xbox have a huge momentum besides the USA? not in Asia. and in Europe it is mixed with sonys ps3.

about HArdcore. if that was so intersting for microsoft why are they expanding so hard with kinect?

what is the last game that microsoft made that is so hardcore? all i see is microsoft kinect titles.

in my opinion, whichever console can combine the mobile telephone market together will win the next generation war.

in other words. Android is king at the moment in mobile telephones. if a console would be made with android in mind and has great connection with mobile telephone, it will beat everything else.