Y Wall$treet HATE Post Office Love UPS/FDXPRS....

I hear A LOT the CNBC complain the PostOffice......

well, yesterday I went to mail a small package. Usually I just go the post office but I first stop to check UPS store. UPS Co$t = $32!!!

Then I go the usual option, the PostOffice......PO co$t = $11 BIG WIN!

so why Wall$treet don't like the PostOffice? Because they want to eliminate PostOffice competition so increase the business for UPS and Federal Express so the share price will make them some $$$......and they don't care if YOU have to pay more!

TEAR DOWN BIG COURIER

yesterday UPS co$to to mail small package = $32.........

end the PostOffice and that co$t to mail the small package going to be $52!

Maybe good for Wall$treets but BAD for working class consumer!

99% of the cookies are eaten by 1% of the monsters. Phone Post 3.0

when the UPS and FedEx don't have the PostOffice competition they can raise the price even more!!!!

So eliminate the PO competition get more business AND raise shipping cost = good for WallStreets BAD for working classes consumers.

I support our constitutionally mandated post office.

I've started posting promotional stuff through the mail and I've heard stories that sometimes USPS guys won't deliver it! Sometimes out of laziness, or justify it with lessening the promo stuff (aka junk mail) people get and whatnot.

Shit. We PAY for delivery we expect delivery! Maybe that's why business people would rather pay more yet make sure they get the service they paid for!

Sprawl'n'Stall - I've started posting promotional stuff through the mail and I've heard stories that sometimes USPS guys won't deliver it! Sometimes out of laziness, or justify it with lessening the promo stuff (aka junk mail) people get and whatnot.

Shit. We PAY for delivery we expect delivery! Maybe that's why business people would rather pay more yet make sure they get the service they paid for!

My cousins best friends aunts uncle say's they have no problem with there service from USPS just stories that I've heard though

NomoRomophobia - 99% of the cookies are eaten by 1% of the monsters. Phone Post 3.0
Small win? Big crazy? Luxury TOWNHOME? Phone Post 3.0

jzspanky - Republican politicians received money from UPS and FedEx to try and stop the post office (which is indeed mandated in the Constitution.)

Since the post office isn't funded by the government and your tax dollars, so those GOP politicians couldn't defund it, and since the post office was successful, they took the approach to make regulations to cripple the post office by passing the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006.

The Republican Party ruins things, tries to convince its supporters that things are broken, and then works to privatize them to get profits for it's donor base.

Education, postal delivery, prisons, first responders, etc... Phone Post 3.0

interesting reading

Sounds like you don't do a lot of shipping.

If you do, you'll see why everyone hates them...

1. They lose shit. Fairly often compared to FedEx and UPS.

2. When they do lose something, it's an utter cluster fuck trying to get them to find it and/or make good on the insurance. Not so with the other two.

3. If you live in a bad area where no one will leave stuff, there are tons of options to deal with an incoming FedEx or UPS package. You can easily set it up so that you can get an e-mail the night before it's coming. From there, you can have it held, diverted to a FedExOffice/UPS store, etc.

Post Office MAY leave a little postcard. If they do, you'll have to take time off from work to get there during their shitty hours, or stand on the equivalent of a Soviet bread line on a Saturday morning to get it.

Yes, they come in cheap with their flat rate stuff. Aside for that, the quality of customer service tends to blow. Again, have them lose something on you and try to get paid for it. Then you will see why everyone hates them.

UPS/FedEx share-holder 1% Elites HATE the post office ;)

Why are your putting a $ in the word co$t Phone Post 3.0

WallaWalla - Why are your putting a $ in the word co$t Phone Post 3.0

FREE COUNTRY!

Gforce - Sounds like you don't do a lot of shipping.

If you do, you'll see why everyone hates them...

1. They lose shit. Fairly often compared to FedEx and UPS.

2. When they do lose something, it's an utter cluster fuck trying to get them to find it and/or make good on the insurance. Not so with the other two.

3. If you live in a bad area where no one will leave stuff, there are tons of options to deal with an incoming FedEx or UPS package. You can easily set it up so that you can get an e-mail the night before it's coming. From there, you can have it held, diverted to a FedExOffice/UPS store, etc.

Post Office MAY leave a little postcard. If they do, you'll have to take time off from work to get there during their shitty hours, or stand on the equivalent of a Soviet bread line on a Saturday morning to get it.

Yes, they come in cheap with their flat rate stuff. Aside for that, the quality of customer service tends to blow. Again, have them lose something on you and try to get paid for it. Then you will see why everyone hates them.

this is the correct answer.

USPS service and reliability is awful.

USPS is fucking awful.  If I want to order something and it's not UPS or Fedex, I usually pass.  I"ve had horrible luck getting my items through them.

A few months ago I ordered a new bulb for my projector and noticed they were shipping USPS and not UPS.  I asked if that could be changed and they told me it was my only option.  I took a chance and ordered the bulb anyway.  After it not coming in two weeks later I contacted the company.  They gave me the tracking number and it made it about half way here.  After that the package stopped tracking and the post office had no idea what happened to it.  They sent out another lamp to me free of charge.  Guess what?  Same thing happened.  The bulb got lost in transit and the Post Office had no tracking information on it.  I just got a refund and ordered elsewhere.

Trust - 

Why FedEx and UPS Want the Postal Service to Survive

Lost in the scrum of competing opinions over the future of the United States Postal Service is one very important fact:

FedEx (FDX) and UPS (UPS) both want the post office to survive.

Why?

For starters, FedEx earned $1.495 billion from the Postal Service last year as the agency's number one supplier. UPS, the Postal Service's 11th largest supplier, earned $102 million from the Postal Service, a $7 million increase from the year before.

"FedEx, UPS, and the US Postal Service are more business partners today than they are competitors," David Hendel, an attorney in the Postal Service Contracting practice at the law firm of Husch Blackwell, who compiles an annual list of the Postal Service's top contractors, tells me. (FedEx and UPS are far from the only companies that enjoy lucrative partnerships with the Postal Service. A quick scan of the Husch Blackwell list shows Northrop Grumman (NOC) taking in $410 million from Postal Service contracts last year. IBM (IBM) made $108 million from Postal Service contracts. And United Airlines (UAL) brought in $102 million.)

FedEx has flown Express Mail, Priority Mail and First Class Mail for the Postal Service since 2000. According to Alan Robinson, Executive Director of the Center for the Study of the Postal Market and the publisher of the Courier Express and Postal Observer, the income generated by this "represents around 60% of FedEx Express's US domestic air freight revenue."

Per Robinson, "Most of this revenue comes from flying mail and parcels during the day when FedEx airplanes would be otherwise parked." Thus, if FedEx were to lose this contract, it "would reduce the utilization of its aircraft possibly putting pressure on FedEx's margins on its other air freight and Express business."

Indeed, FedEx's latest 10-K states that "the USPS has informed us that it intends to solicit proposals for the provision of air transportation services currently provided by FedEx Express upon the expiration of the current agreement in September 2013."

It continues:

Accordingly, upon the expiration of the current agreement, the transportation services we provide to the USPS could be transitioned, in whole or in part, to another provider. This would have a negative impact on our asset utilization and profitability. Moreover, to the extent that any such services are retained by us, the terms and conditions of the new arrangement may be less favorable than those currently in place.

Dr. Gene Del Polito, President of the Association for Postal Commerce in Washington, DC, tells me that UPS will be bidding on the contract, as the revenue is obviously substantial. However, while the Postal Service relies on FedEx and UPS to achieve efficiencies in its operations, FedEx and UPS also rely on the Postal Service for similar benefits of their own.

"For FedEx and UPS, the costs are lower to deliver in urban areas, and higher in rural ones," Del Polito says. "For the Postal Service, that cost structure is the exact opposite. So FedEx and UPS use the Postal Service for 'last-mile' delivery in many areas where it would cost them too much to deliver that mail -- they prepare it for re-entry via the Postal Service which then walks it out for final delivery." (To put a number on this, Alan Robinson determined in 2011 that "30.4% of FedEx Ground shipments are delivered by the United States Postal Service.")

Del Polito explains that "there was a time when you would hear concerns from FedEx and UPS that the Postal Service was unfairly competing against them, but now you will hear they are 'partners' because they have figured out how to get good value out of a set-up that makes sense for them."

The arrangement does make sense for FedEx and UPS, from an operational and economic standpoint. Interestingly, a purely competitive structure wouldn't work, as FedEx and UPS don't want the responsibilities that they would be saddled with if the playing field were perfectly level.

Here's Lauren T. Andrews, writing in the William & Mary Business Law Review:

For example, the USPS is charged by governmental decree with providing universal service to all parts of the country, even in areas that may not be profitable. Private companies, on the other hand, can essentially ignore and avoid areas that may not be profitable, areas where they may otherwise be forced to serve if the postal monopolies were lifted and regulations put in place. Furthermore, companies such as UPS and FedEx would likely have no interest in the delivery of "letters," primarily because it is not as profitable as larger parcel and package delivery. In fact, a UPS Spokesman, Norman Black, stated, "We believe that the government plays a role in terms of ensuring that every mailbox is reached every day …. That is not a responsibility that UPS would want."

And, not only would they not want it, David Hendel says they couldn't do it.

"Neither FedEx or UPS are even in the same league as the Postal Service, which goes to 100 million addresses every day," he tells me. "What they do, they do well. But they don't do what the Postal Service does."

v

"Del Polito explains that "there was a time when you would hear concerns from FedEx and UPS that the Postal Service was unfairly competing against them"-----article

yeah, now they just have the CNBC talking head shareholders to complain for them ;)