Yao Ming = super overrated

This guy is simply pathetic, at 7'6 he can barely grab 10 boards a game... what's up with this guy??? there was so much hype about his game, so far he's been a huge disapoint this year.

I agree. He has to be the slowest guy in the NBA with the worst hands and cardio. If he were more explosive he would be a much better player.

Well, no duh. If he was as explosive as shaq he'd be the best player of all time. I mean the guy can shoot, post up, pass, and is 7'6".

He has been playing poorly because he needs a enforcer type power forward to take the pressure off him defensively and to grab rebounds for him. Last year he had it in Cato, but this year he is stuck with Juwann Howard, the worst defensive power forward in the NBA.

He's still good for eighteen and nine at above 50% shooting and hits about 80% from the line. Which makes him the second best center in the league (unless you count Tim Duncan as a center).

another bigot, imo

"Well, no duh. If he was as explosive as shaq he'd be the best player of all time"

I dont even mean like that. Just show some fucking agression and willingness to fight. When they played the suns it was fucking sad to see him struggling up and down the court, and at one point he simply dropped as pass when he was wide open underneath and let it roll out of bounds.

He really needs to start crashing the boards too, he is 7'6 for christs sake!

Why are people using his height as a measure for how good he is supposed to be? History shows that once you get past 7-1, the quality of player is reduced exponentially, give or take a few exceptions.

Yao's problem is that he just isn't athletic enough. He's basically Shawn Bradley with offensive skills.

With that in mind, the Rockets really need to get a defensive oriented power-forward and turn Yao into mainly an offensive weapon.

I could see him being a 24-7 player if he had a power forward to back him up. Not the best, but a great second option to Tracy McGrady.

"Why are people using his height as a measure for how good he is supposed to be?"

Because when you are almost on average almost a foot taller than everyone else on the court, the LEAST you can do is pick up some rebounds and block some shots.

Rebounding isn't about height, though. Look at the best rebounders - Barkely, Rodman, Ben Wallace. They're all relatively short.

Yeah, but at that height you should still be pulling them down.

Rebounding average is the measure of a player now? For about the millionth time, it's a lot more complex than that, you have to look at what he does against opposing c's, then

ahh fuck it you idiots should just watch another sport

chinese market = money

he only plays 31 minutes a game and gives you 18.8 PPG, 8.5 RPG and 1.7 BLK.

give him 36 minutes (I think his cardio could certainly handle that increase, he's not THAT bad) and he'd give you:

21.8 PPG, 9.9 RPG and 2.0 BLK. he'd probably still shoot at about a 52% clip and 80% from the line.

in all honesty the rox suffer from lack of a true point guard. this screws up their offense seriously. even mcgrady is having difficulties getting into the flow...

I also think van gundy hasn't a clue how to design plays properly for yao. he's very good at pick and roll (witness the suns game) and when you clear out one side of the lane for him to post. he has problems when there is hard double sent at him.

He can be a good role player on the right team, coming off the bench. He reminds me of a poor mans Buddha Edwards.

possibly the dumbest post ever. when did james edwards have anywhere the skill set or stats of yao? edwards was a jump shooter with limited post moves and below average board work and defense. yao is at least average on the boards and on D.

again, this post was just dumb.

unless you were kidding.

This is a troll-free forum dangerfag.

Why should Yao come off the bench on any team except Miami? Who is a better center that should be playing ahead of him?

So on a championship caliber team like the Spurs, Rasho Nesterovic should start, and Yao should come off the bench?

Who besides Shaq should be starting ahead of Yao?

"Who besides Shaq should be starting ahead of Yao? "

Wwll, from watching the last couple rockets games...

Mutumbo.

Are you saying Yao is better than James Edwards?

yes, I am.

Buddha got it done for 19 years in the league. He won 2 titles, was a difficult matchup for any center with his outside touch, and was physical when he had to be.

please. who was edwards a difficult matchup for? kareem or moses in the mid-80s? LOL. hakeem or the admiral after that? LOLOL.

so he played 19 years. so what? he wasn't even a starter on the two pistons teams he won rings with... laimbeer was.

edwards was the defintion of "soft" on D and the boards. he couldn't cover any other 5 in the league.

you're probably trolling, in which case LOL.

even if not, LOL @ James Edwards being a center worthy of anything more than anecdotal mention in the NBA.

Who is Yao a difficult matchup for? Shaq? Stoudamire? Duncan?

yup, all of them.

Yao can score but he is nothing on the defensive end

he averages 1.7 blocks in only 31 minutes per game. that's not "nothing". he also changes many shots.

2nd in centers in turnovers (behind Eddy Curry) and thats while only playing around 30 minutes a game. If he played much more he'd probably lead the league in turnovers

yup, he is a turnover machine.

He is a black hole when you give him the ball, averaging less than 1 assist per game. You'd think a 7-6 guy could find an open man every now and again.

he is a good passer but does seem to be a black hole this year. his assist totals are pathetic.

Yao is clumsy, can't get his hands on the ball, misses defensive asignments, gets beat down the court all game long, gets tired quickly, fouls often, turns the ball over often, cant pass the ball, so on and so on.

he's not clumsy. he has good hands.

he does miss defensive assignments at times.

he does get beat down the court.

he doesn't get tired too quickly, although I agree his cardio could be better.

he absolutely can pass... I have explanation for why his assist totals are so low, except that he's not making the RIGHT passes.

anyway... you were trying to make a comparison with james edwards before. I don't think it holds up.

now you're criticizing yao's game in general. I agree on some points and disagree on others.

"Yao can score but he is nothing on the defensive end,"

How do you figure? He blocks one and a half shots a game and comes out on pick and rolls. He's hard to score on one-on-one. How do you figure he's "nothing" on the defensive end?

"2nd in centers in turnovers (behind Eddy Curry) and thats while only playing around 30 minutes a game."

He's also second in centers in the amount of offense he produces, so second in turnovers is about right. It's true he turns it over too much, but not by much and if you look at his career he's not a high-turnover player.

"He is a black hole when you give him the ball, averaging less than 1 assist per game. You'd think a 7-6 guy could find an open man every now and again."

Once again, you're holding him accountable for his height. Yao plays well by every standard except for the ones you seem to assign to him for being a 7-6 player. Do you expect all-star production from Shawn Bradley as well?

"I get the feeling that the only people who don't think Yao is overrated are the ones who just look at the stat sheets and don't watch the game."

Didn't you just refer to his assists stat and turnover stat in your criticism of him? You can use statistics to criticize Yao, I guess, but not to praise him.

"Yao is clumsy, can't get his hands on the ball, misses defensive asignments, gets beat down the court all game long, gets tired quickly, fouls often, turns the ball over often, cant pass the ball, so on and so on."

He can't get his hands on the ball, and is clumsy, and yet he scores 18 points a game. I wish Chris Mihm were half as clumsy as Yao was, the Lakers might be one of the top teams in the west.

And how does he miss defensive assignments? The Rockets play man-to-man. Yao guards the opposing center. Does he get confused and guard the small forward by accident or something? Come on. You're not the only one actually watching games. I haven't seen that Yao is a liability on defense at all.

"Unfortunatly in todays game you don't need your center to score, you need him to rebound and defend."

This statement doesn't make any sense to me at all. You have a center that can score, and score efficiently, but you should bench him becuase in "today's game" centers shouldn't be scoring? Maybe they SHOULD start Motombo over Yao, if that's your reasoning.

Yao Ming DOES defend, and at 8.5 boards per 31 minutes, he rebounds too. He's not Ben Wallace, but he holds his own on the boards.