Yay for the NYPD

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/05/02/3-nypd-cops-arrested-in-separate-drunken-shootings/20879064/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&

Makes me feel safer!

Cops, cars, booze and bullets - put them all together and you get a recipe for disaster. It's a lesson the New York Police Department learned this week after three off-duty NYPD officers were linked to separate shooting incidents, each involving some drunk driving.

The bloodiest incident took place Tuesday night, when Officer Brendan Cronin allegedly fired thirteen rounds from behind the wheel of his car into a vehicle in front of him, hitting the 47-year-old driver six times.

The victim is currently in stable condition. Cronin refused to take a breathalyzer test at the scene, but one source told WCBS he was so drunk, he couldn't even remember the shooting. He was charged with assault.

Another shooting incident, thankfully with no injuries this time, took place early Saturday when NYPD Sgt. Wanda Anthony apparently fired one shot into a parked car at a New Jersey home. The New York Post reports Anthony got into a fight with her date and his wife at the home.

Anthony was pulled over for drunk driving shortly afterward. NJ.com reports she's been suspended from the force for 30 days, and is also charged with assault along with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose.

And rounding the week off for the boys in blue is Detective Jay Poggi, who is accused of accidentally shooting his partner Matt Sullivan in the wrist while showing off his firearm in a police cruiser last Thursday. The New York Daily News says Poggi registered .11 on a blood alcohol test, well over New York's .08 driving limit.

So, yeah. Kind of an unsettling pattern. NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton acknowledged the NYPD might have a drinking problem in a press conference

"I personally am very disturbed about the number of incidents in recent weeks that are part of a longer-term problem of inappropriate use of alcohol," according to WABC.

By the way, all this happened the week after three different officers were arrested for drunk driving in a 27-hour time span. But hey, at least there was no gunplay involved in those incidents, right?

What in the flying fuck.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts_updsub&forum=2&thread=2317838&page=1&pc=8

lol @ the one who shot the guy 6 times and only got charged with assault.  On what planet is that not attempted murder?  Oh..yeah....the planet where cops are above the law.  

NYPD only fears when the Rangers win the cup and I think its the east Indian day parade or something. some ethnic group has a parade and results in most homicides each year. Cops are told to let them do what they do as opposed st pats day or pr day parade.

Shiva true story

MR BIG1 - NYPD only fears when the Rangers win the cup and I think its the east Indian day parade or something. some ethnic group has a parade and results in most homicides each year. Cops are told to let them do what they do as opposed st pats day or pr day parade.

Shiva true story

The only time the cops have harassed me in the city was st. pattys day.

I was breaking the law though, open container violation.

$25 ticket lol

GenErick - 
MR BIG1 - NYPD only fears when the Rangers win the cup and I think its the east Indian day parade or something. some ethnic group has a parade and results in most homicides each year. Cops are told to let them do what they do as opposed st pats day or pr day parade.

Shiva true story

The only time the cops have harassed me in the city was st. pattys day.

I was breaking the law though, open container violation.

$25 ticket lol

The only thing most laws of that type do is give cops an excuse to fuck with people.  

"Anthony was pulled over for drunk driving shortly afterward. NJ.com reports she's been suspended from the force for 30 days, and is also charged with assault along with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose."

Discharging a weapon at a car and DUI is only a 30 day suspension? What in the fuck? How is that not instant grounds for firing? Phone Post 3.0

bakobell - "Anthony was pulled over for drunk driving shortly afterward. NJ.com reports she's been suspended from the force for 30 days, and is also charged with assault along with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose."

Discharging a weapon at a car and DUI is only a 30 day suspension? What in the fuck? How is that not instant grounds for firing? Phone Post 3.0

Union.

There is a contractually approved process with arbitration and appeals and whatnot, before a NYC police officer can be dismissed. 30 day suspension is probably the first step in that process.

Stan Wang - "The bloodiest incident took place Tuesday night, when Officer Brendan Cronin allegedly fired thirteen rounds from behind the wheel of his car into a vehicle in front of him, hitting the 47-year-old driver six times.

The victim is currently in stable condition. Cronin refused to take a breathalyzer test at the scene, but one source told WCBS he was so drunk, he couldn't even remember the shooting. He was charged with assault."

please tell me this is from the onion.
Sadly not Phone Post 3.0

veknyc - 

Shiva true story

You really don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

I love your opinion shiva

"The bloodiest incident took place Tuesday night, when Officer Brendan Cronin allegedly fired thirteen rounds from behind the wheel of his car into a vehicle in front of him, hitting the 47-year-old driver six times."

...that's some good shooting IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Shiva true story

Very much true.

West Indian Day parade is absolute mayhem.

All the senior people with top picks take a vacation day.

Those that do not have enough seniority are force there. And yes, they are told to look the other way with weed smoking, public drinking, etc.

bakobell - "Anthony was pulled over for drunk driving shortly afterward. NJ.com reports she's been suspended from the force for 30 days, and is also charged with assault along with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose."

Because they are smart.

Anything done in the departmental discipline process can jeopardize the criminal case.

Officers, anyone else in society, have the right to remain silent in a criminal case--they are afforded the same rights as any other person. They do not, however, have these rights against internal department charges.

Smart administrations will do a 30 day rip initially, and then suspend with pay until the resolution of the criminal case. Trying to resolve department charges before the criminal case is NOT a good idea unless you want the accused to beat the latter.

shiva