Years lost to COVID-19?

In my home state, the average age of death from COVID-19 is 82. Average age of death in the state is 80. And the vast majorty who died from COVID-19 had other health issues.

If a disease kills people at an average age of, whatever 40, the average 40 year old has another 45 years or whatever, so that's 45 years lost. I don't want to seem uncaring, but are there any calculations on the number of potential years lost, rather than lives lost?

2 Likes

I didn’t think you smoked weed.

Until now…

8 Likes
billyball2 - I didn't think you smoked weed.

Until now…

lol also it’s the good stuff

![You have smoked yourself retarded - Memebase - Funny Memes](upload://f3BLKQnRh8Zu1jHuGnn2eGSyIlJ.jpeg)

1 Like
fiznadd - 
billyball2 - I didn't think you smoked weed.

Until now…

lol also it’s the good stuff

lol Does Kirik live alone? During all this stay at home stuff is it just himself and 4 walls for 3 months?

I haven't seen specific numbers on it.  But having a co-morbidity like high blood pressure greatly increases your chances to die from it.  I have high blood pressure but am not overweight and it's under control with medication.  However, recent studies are showing it doesn't matter whether it's under control or not.  Just having the underlying blood pressure issue puts you at risk.  

If I were to get it and die, one could dismiss my death as me having underlying health issues.  However, I could easily live another 30 or 40 years with my blood under control without the covid.

The news won’t cover that as 75% or more covid deaths are over 65 and 90% at least 45. So that type of “news” won’t scare people. They’ll do stories on the few children or otherwise healthy young adults that get it, but not on how overall this is really killing older people.

This is almost as dumb as when you jumped on the call chael a racist bandwagon with bacon neck. Almost, but not quite. 

2 Likes

Years lost? If the average death age is 80 and the average age of COVID death is 82, logically COVID is adding 2 years to people’s lives.

2 Likes
CuddleBug - Years lost? If the average death age is 80 and the average age of COVID death is 82, logically COVID is adding 2 years to people's lives.

![You Just Blew My Mind GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY](upload://hACNfTHnZtiXocUQyPQzkybd71E.gif)

1 Like

easy fellas. the big man is just thinking out loud!

Kirik -

In my home state, the average age of death from COVID-19 is 82. Average age of death in the state is 80. And the vast majorty who died from COVID-19 had other health issues.

If a disease kills people at an average age of, whatever 40, the average 40 year old has another 45 years or whatever, so that's 45 years lost. I don't want to seem uncaring, but are there any calculations on the number of potential years lost, rather than lives lost?

I get what you’re saying but I think you’re looking at it in a vacuum 

how many driving deaths have been saved with no one on the roads 

no drunk drivers coming home from the bars etc 

im sure it more than evens out... considering the average age of people dying from covid is around 80. 

the people who die from speeding, drinking after bars, racing etc are young 

androb - 
Kirik -

I get what you’re saying but I think you’re looking at it in a vacuum 

how many driving deaths have been saved with no one on the roads 

no drunk drivers coming home from the bars etc 

im sure it more than evens out... considering the average age of people dying from covid is around 80. 

the people who die from speeding, drinking after bars, racing etc are young 

Next news cycle, Covid 19 saves lives… years of lives of some individuals

CuddleBug - Years lost? If the average death age is 80 and the average age of COVID death is 82, logically COVID is adding 2 years to people's lives.

that's not how it works.

the average life expectancy in the US at birth is 78 (76 for men, 81 for women).  but the average life expectancy increases as you get older due to the infant mortality phenomenom.  the average life expectancy of a 60 year old is 82 for men, 86 for women and for an 82 year old it's 89 and 91 or 90 on average.

so the average years lost if the average age of death is 82 from covid is 8.  multiply 8 times the death toll and you get total years lost.

1 Like
EFM - 

that's not how it works.

the average life expectancy in the US at birth is 78 (76 for men, 81 for women).  but the average life expectancy increases as you get older due to the infant mortality phenomenom.  the average life expectancy of a 60 year old is 82 for men, 86 for women and for an 82 year old it's 89 and 91 or 90 on average.

so the average years lost if the average age of death is 82 from covid is 8.  multiply 8 times the death toll and you get total years lost.

Cuddlebug was obviously joking.

Colby Covid19ington -
EFM - 

that's not how it works.

Cuddlebug was obviously joking.

i know.

EFM -

that's not how it works.

![Hank Scorpio Simpsons GIF - HankScorpio Simpsons Scorpio ...](upload://7RiPgI5uS4lT3YMJr288AD0UnrR.gif)

Soup and Beer - 

I haven't seen specific numbers on it.  But having a co-morbidity like high blood pressure greatly increases your chances to die from it.  I have high blood pressure but am not overweight and it's under control with medication.  However, recent studies are showing it doesn't matter whether it's under control or not.  Just having the underlying blood pressure issue puts you at risk.  

If I were to get it and die, one could dismiss my death as me having underlying health issues.  However, I could easily live another 30 or 40 years with my blood under control without the covid.

We don’t want you to die! (or at least I don’t)

Al Cappucino -
EFM -

that's not how it works.

![Hank Scorpio Simpsons GIF - HankScorpio Simpsons Scorpio ...](upload://7RiPgI5uS4lT3YMJr288AD0UnrR.gif)

if serious, you probably would have eventually but i do work with mortality stats for a living.

if you're being sarcastic,

![](upload://evaH4vYAlOD2bhS6mBgnk567TiO.gif)

I get what he's asking but coming up with an accurare answer (using his logic) would be quite a task and you'd need data that we'll probably never have.  

Part of what bothers me about "more old people died" is why that actually happened.  Old people would die at a higher rate from absolutely every and any virus or disease. That's not hard to understand.  With covid, the sad thing is that I believe I read that old people were actually also infected at a higher rate.   

Old people that are supposed to be cared for by professionals were not properly protected as they should have been and that's why nursing homes and extended care facilities were absolutely decimated here in my state (which I think is the same as Kirik)  

One such place that really pisses me off is a state run home for veterans here in Mass.  Its called the Holyoke Soldiers Home.  The staff had complained to the state powers that be for a long time but got no help and were ignored.  This pandemic started. The staff cried out to the politicians for help.  They were ignored.   The last I heard was over 80 dead veterans and a large number of the staff either dead or infected.  The staff has reported stories of having to put infected and non infected vets in the same room because they were out of space and out of options.   I am not a reporter and this is from memory so please look it up yourself and correct me if I'm wrong.   

So in my mind some of the reasons why more old people died us because they were not protected and left to live in a covid-19 incubator.