Yo souljacker

man,i need you to drop a little knowledge on me.

tell me about the differences between the pro game and the college game. you got experience and i just played high school ball.

for example, why do the pros not press hard? i rarely see them make a real attempt to stop the ball. and that is weird since they can play zone now. and where is the halfcourt trap? lots of teams don't even have a real good ballhandler at the 1 spot.

and why don't we ever see some of that "40 minutes of hell" action from the deep teams? (i know it's 48, smartass). i mean. why not run the hell out of their fucking legs? especially teams that look stronger than you?

and what the hell happened to the pick and roll? especially with the huge frontline guys we have today? i saw it in utah and i see them running reggie miller of good screens but it is not as common as i would expect with the kind of powerful guys and good outside shooters that are in the league.

holler at me!

"man,i need you to drop a little knowledge on me."

Bro I will try :)

"for example, why do the pros not press hard? i rarely see them make a real attempt to stop the ball. and that is weird since they can play zone now. and where is the halfcourt trap? lots of teams don't even have a real good ballhandler at the 1 spot."

The pros do not press because it is too difficult, the guards are just to good and too quick, they need to save their enegry for the half court. You do see guys like Mugsy, Spud Webb, earl boykins press full court because they were so small and could hound the other PG

Half court traps are rarely used in the pros because most coaches feel the players are too good and athletic to trap and think its better to play straight up. In the pros, if you trap in the corner and the ball gets swung to the other side, it will almost always be an easy open shot, something NBA don't want to give up.

If a team was to press a lot, all the have to do is simply pass the ball up the court, not dribble.

"and why don't we ever see some of that "40 minutes of hell" action from the deep teams? (i know it's 48, smartass). i mean. why not run the hell out of their fucking legs? especially teams that look stronger than you?"

Because coaches don't have a lot of faith in their 9,10,11 and 12 man. And remember this type of play has been used in the NBA, Paul Westhead tried it in Denver and more recently Rick Pitino tried it in Boston, both did not go over too well. The pros are just to good to try and play that kind of defense.

In college you will have 2 maybe 3 good players on the floor and then the other 2 have flaws so you can push things their way on defense, kind of like trying to foul the worst free throw shoot, try and make a forward or bad ball handler dribble the rock or pass it.

"and what the hell happened to the pick and roll? especially with the huge frontline guys we have today? i saw it in utah and i see them running reggie miller of good screens but it is not as common as i would expect with the kind of powerful guys and good outside shooters that are in the league."

Man the pick and roll is done, everyone wants to create for themselves. The funniest thing is the players don't even need to run it as well as Malone and Stockton for it to be productive. The pick and roll is out of style, and its sad.

One thing about screens, people have to know how to set them but even more importantly people have to know how to come off screens, Reggie Miller is a master at it. I laugh at Iverson coming off screens he has no fucking clue, he is coming of a screen basicly just to get the ball, not to set up for a shot or to go the other way or curl off the screen. Players now a days just have no clue how to run off screens, how to L cut, back door, hedge, nothing. Everything is off talent and off the dribble

I guess Im just way too old fashion, Im fortunate to have learned the game the way I have but I was also willing to learn and listen, even to coaches that I did not like or respect, I took it all in and learned as much as I could

SJ I appreciate all your knowledge.

SJ how would you compare defense these days to defense in the 80's (Bird and Magic days)?

thanks.

that all makes sense, except for the part about picks and screens. that could help some of the teams that suck do better, if they played a little REAL basketball.

"When the Pistons won back to back they showed that good hard nosed D and rebounding wins out over great offense."

I don't think this is necessarily true - I think a great offense is still better to have than a great defense, but the Pistons showed that slowing the game down could get you wins.

Tobias Moon

I totally agree, teams could do a lot better with the pick and roll and screens

"SJ how would you compare defense these days to defense in the 80's (Bird and Magic days)?"

asdf

Guys today are more athletic but that doesn't mean they can play better defense. Bird and Magic were both not that great of defenders but they were excellent team defenders and knew how to play that end of the court. Its not all about shutting your man down all the time. you need to see the whole picture.

I think the defense was very good in the 80's the problem was that most guys were excellent offensive players which makes the defense not always look as good. And no matter how good of a defender you are if you come up against a good offensive player, that player will score, how much is really how hard you D that person up

I hear a lot of shit about the lakers from the 80's and now and how Michael Cooper would shut down Kobe, that is a complete joke. Cooper is probably the best defender of all time, especially on the ball. He would D kobe's ass up and make him work for every point but Kobe is still going to score but you know what it will do, it will make Kobe more tired on D himself and he will not be as productive on the D end as he would be if Cooper was not making him work so hard on the defensive end

Todays players, on the average, are not as skilled on the offensive end so it looks like the D is so much better, not the case at all, guys are limited on the offensive end which is sad, sure your superstars can all light it up in various ways but the regular joe can not produce now like they have in the past

The D in the 80's is just as good as today no question

"I don't think this is necessarily true - I think a great offense is still better to have than a great defense, but the Pistons showed that slowing the game down could get you wins."

Yougottawanna

what people forget about the pistons was they had tons of offensive weapons, Dumars, Thomas, Vinnie Johnson, Dantley, Agurier, even James Edards in the post was a big threat. That is one of the most talented offesnive teams ever, they could score with anyone but they also played some tough D and had a concept to play a certain way and they won with it

You always need defense, sure your O can be better than your D but you still need some D. That is what is wrong with the Mavs, they don't play enough D

"Todays players, on the average, are not as skilled on the offensive end..."

no fucking joke. i irks me to watch guards that cannot shoot and swingmen whose only contribution is to run the floor because they got nothing in the halfcourt.

The thing is, sometimes trapping and pressing really works. I think the reason the Suns were able to take the Spurs to six games last year was because of their press, the Spurs were turning it over like crazy for a while there.

But a press is something you have to pull the trigger on when the time is right, not have on all the time, at least not against pro teams.

I love to press full court and all game but it just can't be done at the pro level, especially all game. Imagine trying to trap Kidd or Marbury in the back court, a complete joke, it can't be done even by the best defenders, they break it all by themselves even though you are taught not to break a trap with the dribble, some basic fundamentals don't always apply on the NBA level