Yoga experts.... Please help!

What are your best tips?
Best way to begin?
How many hours per day can asanas be practiced?
Can one have multiple sessions per day? 2-3 sessions per day?
How much of the yoga philosophy do you practice in your life?

Thanks!

I can help you if you post a pic of your downward dog.

2 Likes

I No Kung Foo -

First post, game over. 

Work up a sweat first, don't try to stretch first cold.

Buy the book on Yoga by Van Lysebeth

Yoga, Self-Taught

You're welcome.

seek - What are your best tips?
Best way to begin?

Thanks!

Im a big fan of ashtanga yoga. If you follow it strictly it's one session per day, six days a week. If you're learning it the Mysore it won't be much when you start. You'll pretty much be doing sun salutations. As you progress you start adding more poses to your practice and it gets longer. The full primary series, which most people never even end up completing, probably takes about an hour and a half to complete. It's quite intense though. As for philosophy, that's really up to the individual. Personally I don't care for it and just do it for the physical benefits.

My $0.02

Remember that yoga is not a competition 

WidespreadPanic - 

Work up a sweat first, don't try to stretch first cold.

Buy the book on Yoga by Van Lysebeth

Yoga, Self-Taught

You're welcome.

Thanks, got it!

I'm not an expert but I've done alot of yoga for many years. To address your questions individually starting with best way to begin:

The best way to start is to find a studio and show up, but with the corona insanity thats prob not realistic, so find a youtube video or a book and follow along with the movements. I say to find a studio because having someone to look at what you're doing and help/correct your posture is invaluable. You can't see yourself, so it's very beneficial to have a teacher with an outside perspective to help you. The structured schedule also helps with consistency, which is very important.

I suppose you could practice as many hours as you like, but why would you? 1-1.5 hours per day is prob enough, depending on your personal goals or purpose in doing it. What are you trying to accomplish through your practice?

You could do multiple sessions per day, but again, why? What is your goal? 

I'm not well versed enough in the philosophy of the practice to say accurately, but I try to remember to breathe, clear my head and be a kind person.

That said the best tip I have is consistency. For the average person, doing ashtanga yoga for 1 hour per day, 3 days a week over the span of a few months will do amazing things. Just commit the time and be consistent. 

Yoga with Adriene on youtube

loads of stuff there for all abilities. Not too much “yogi” bullshit and she is pretty hot too

It is like anyhting else; keep going and you will get better. Seriously, that is my advice. 

I generally go for a few months, start to see progress, and stop and lose 90% of it. It is a long journey. Just go and listen to your body. Extend each stretch a litte further, try a litte harder at each balance, each time, and eventually you will see progress. 

Free DDP yoga app trial...

...back into Diamond Cutter...BANG

1 Like

D,DF,F+P to do a Yoga Fire

DDP works for me

1 Like

Yoga is gay Don’t be a fag

I No Kung Foo -

With clear shot of brown eye!!

Mrs 9000 here

I'm a yogi for 19 years. I teach. Here's my thoughts.

What are your best tips?

Form is more important than how deep you go. Going to the edge of your comfort level, and breathing smoothly while navigating that edge. Be patient, be compassionate in your approach and in your head.

Best way to begin?

Youtube videos, beginner 20 minutes or less to start. Work from there to your ability.

All day if you want. Savasana is a good start

Yes, but that is something one must ease into. Listen to your body, give it time to open up to the practice. Rest is equally as important.

As much as humanly possible. Being a yogi on a mountain top is much easier than navigating the hustle of the world.

I hope this was helpful

1 Like

holly9000 - 

Mrs 9000 here

What are your best tips?

Form is more important than how deep you go. Going to the edge of your comfort level, and breathing smoothly while navigating that edge. Be patient, be compassionate in your approach and in your head.

Best way to begin?

Youtube videos, beginner 20 minutes or less to start. Work from there to your ability.

Yes, but that is something one must ease into. Listen to your body, give it time to open up to the practice. Rest is equally as important.

As much as humanly possible. Being a yogi on a mountain top is much easier than navigating the hustle of the world.

I hope this was helpful

Amazing!

What are your views on the different yoga styles?
Which one do you practice?

Thank you!

soreshins - 

Yoga with Adriene on youtube

loads of stuff there for all abilities. Not too much “yogi” bullshit and she is pretty hot too

Thanks.
Started!

ghostboner - 

I'm not an expert but I've done alot of yoga for many years. To address your questions individually starting with best way to begin:

The best way to start is to find a studio and show up, but with the corona insanity thats prob not realistic, so find a youtube video or a book and follow along with the movements. I say to find a studio because having someone to look at what you're doing and help/correct your posture is invaluable. You can't see yourself, so it's very beneficial to have a teacher with an outside perspective to help you. The structured schedule also helps with consistency, which is very important.

I suppose you could practice as many hours as you like, but why would you? 1-1.5 hours per day is prob enough, depending on your personal goals or purpose in doing it. What are you trying to accomplish through your practice?

You could do multiple sessions per day, but again, why? What is your goal? 

I'm not well versed enough in the philosophy of the practice to say accurately, but I try to remember to breathe, clear my head and be a kind person.

That said the best tip I have is consistency. For the average person, doing ashtanga yoga for 1 hour per day, 3 days a week over the span of a few months will do amazing things. Just commit the time and be consistent. 

Whatever I do, I tend to go in very deep.

The more I train, the better one improves.. no?

seek - 
holly9000 - 

Mrs 9000 here

What are your best tips?

Best way to begin?

I hope this was helpful

Amazing!

What are your views on the different yoga styles?

Thank you!

What are your views on the different yoga />
My views are to each his own. Find what resonates with you best. I studied hatha yoga when I took my teacher training, which is very regimented. But I love a free-flow sometimes too.
Don't get hung up on the " Its really finding the right teacher and a level that's accessible for you.

I did my yoga teacher training at the Sivananda Yoga Ranch in upstate NY in 2004. I like that its very traditional and systematic. But I also love to put some music on and let my body feel free to do whatever feels right.

You're welcome... Let me know if you have any more questions or whatever. Enjoy!