Yoga question

How muscular can you get from Yoga I have seen some guys that are prety muscular and flexible from doing yoga can you get like this from doing yoga alone or should you be lifting weights .And does the diet have to be different I know most yogi's are vegatarians.

Thanks to anyone that has some info on the subject.

How muscular can you get from Yoga I have seen some guys that are prety muscular and flexible from doing yoga can you get like this from doing yoga alone or should you be lifting weights .And does the diet have to be different I know most yogi's are vegatarians.

Sory for the mistake something went wrong here.

*Nowaydo please report to the thread*

Until he shows up:

There are different types of yoga.

My limited experience is with Iyengar Yoga. The "muscular" people in Iyengar were not musclar because of it. They were muscular because of other activities they did. The same was true for athletic ability.

"Regular" yoga classes drove me crazy. (In Iyengar it was lots of detail on static poses held for various lengths of time) "Yoga for athletes" was a class that the studio formed where several poses were chained together in a sequence and we would go from pose to pose to pose. I much prefered "yoga for athletes". The point is, even within the same "style" of yoga you may prefer some classes over others.

If you are in a really bad shape, yoga can get you in a little better shape but nothing radical.

No you don't need to change your diet to do yoga.

After I had been doing yoga for a few months I felt I became more sensitive to how different food affected me. So I wanted to change my diet myself, it wasn't forced on me. Obviously food has always affected how I felt but it wasn't until I started doing yoga regularly that I got aware about the extent.

Short answer, if your looking to get muscular, it's not going to be through yoga. You should be lifting weights. You can build some muscle, but it's not going to be huge amounts.

But, yoga does have many, many other benefits. I'm currently taking 2 yoga classes, plus daily practice. I also lift weights 3 days a week.

Well I have done bodybuilding before so I do have muscle I was talking about getting more defined through yoga I feel it helps me more than anything else to roll on the mat weightlifting helps with power but I think the muscles get to tight and you move more freally with yoga but Ihave seen some guy's that are prety muscular from doing yoga not bodybulding size they look like gymnast though.

yeah those guys probably do yoga 24/7 though

Yoga is the best thing that happened to my grappling, both on the ground an stand-up. It really teaches you to coordinate your movement with your breath. If your breath is slow and controlled, your movements become slow and controlled. When you use "breath of fire" and explode your breath on the exhale, you find crazy power in your movements. It's no wonder that Rickson has incorporated his yoga so smoothly with his zhoo-zheetsu.

4ranges what gains have you senin you juijitsu better guard easier to climgb for armbars .Have you added anything else I was thinking of just doing yoga and juijitsu for the cardio just rolling hard with as many guys as I can.

anybody know of a good class around los angeles(san gabriel valley)? i've taken one class and i really liked how i felt afterwards however, i would like to see what a "yoga for athletes" type of class would be like also.

sorry if this is off topic

I have done baranbaptiste yoga from his video it is prety good he has a former wrestler in his class pretty muscular dude. Ilike it better than rondey yee yoga for athletes.try bryankest in la

First thing it gave me was endless energy because it taught me how to breathe properly while holding very demanding positions.

This breath "control" taught me how to manage my strength while doing bjj.

On top of that, the neuromuscular improvements are astounding: in ONE position, you're teaching your body an isometric movement, while stretching another part of your body, while another part does concentric and eccentric movements. When you flow from ONE position to ANOTHER posture and ANOTHER posture, your body is being trained in a way that weights can't come close to. In fact, this coordination of the body using different types of strength is the EPITOME of bjj.

My closed guard saw great improvements, my top game sky-rocketed, but most importantly, I learned how to relax in inferior positions, and eventually counter superior positions.

Then again, perhaps I'm just lucky because my wife is my yoga instructor, and she designed a specific program for my BJJ. Interestingly, when I showed her Rickson's exercises (from an uncut version of the Choke documentary), she immediately said that "he's a true master; his yoga is instinctive, almost a different form altogether."

Also, I do a customized interval training circuit with weights and bwe exercises, so I do that with the yoga and bjj.

But I will say this: when I skip yoga class (let's say 2 weeks) and continue training in everything else, my bjj goes to crap.

However, there was a period when all I could do was yoga, because I was recovering from surgery. So no weights, no running, no bjj, just yoga.

When I was healthy enough to return to BJJ, I submitted everybody on the mat. That's how important yoga is to my bjj.

Push out 10 reps or 10 breaths? blah give me 0.2 of a second in a planche!

Man that move is sick tough for a non competitive Gymnast! THEN imagine doing push ups in that position?!

Koing

4 ranges: any chance you can share a typical yoga session that you would practice? you mentioned that your wife has a specific program for BJJ and that seems like something that i would be interested in(probably many others as well i would assume).

"I include lots of arm and leg balances and core stimulating poses. So much, that my muscle mass was interfering with my range of motion."

Ok, nowaydo. Thats it. You just have to post your yoga workout here for us to admire (and attempt). I know the poses in ashtanga first series and I have Iyengars "Light on yoga" book so the sanskrit names is probably no problem.

...and I got "body Flow" by Sonnon (IIRC you once posted that you used some moves from him).

I would like to thank 4ranges ,nowaydo, and koeng for there advice.