Yoshida v. Thompson fight

I just watched Pride Shockwave. The Yoshida vs. Thompson fight was very entertaining. But it was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen. Towards the end of the fight Yoshida was beaten down to the canvas. Thompson got on top and the ref went to restart them in the middle of the ring. Yoshida I think was actually unconscious at this point. The ref drags Yoshida's limp body to the center of the ring and restarts the fight! Someone is going to get killed in Pride if they dont start protecting the fighter more.

Criminal IMO.

Yes it was criminal. I love watching fights like Yoshida v. Thompson and I dont like to see fights end to early because its exciting to watch. But Yoshida was obviously unable to defend himself at that point in the fight, and the ref put Yoshida's health on the line, when he physically pulled a limp Yoshida to the center of the ring and restarted the fight.

Well what did you expect. It is Japan afterall.

BTW. What would you have done if you were Thompson?

I dont blame Thompson, he was in the heat of the moment trying to win the fight. But what is the refs excuse?

Sometimes I complain that a fight has been stopped too fast. But I do prefer the UFC policy of better safe than sorry. Pride needs to follow there lead, especially if they are coming to the US. MMA is having an explosion here, a bad accident could set this sport back a decade.

Thompson stomped him hard when he fell out the ring

If Thompson was not so gassed when that restart happened it would have been ugly.

"If Thompson was not so gassed when that restart happened it would have been ugly."

Agreed. The ref was worse than in ficitonal movies. In the movie Bloodsport the ref might have stole Yoshida's gold tooth, but he wouldnt have dragged his unconscious body to the center of the ring and restarted the fight. If Thompson had not been so gassed and really hurt or killed Yoshida, I think the ref should have been charged with a crime.

He TRIED to stomp Yoshida but all he hit was the bottom rope. Maybe you should watch the fight again before spouting off. And for the record the fight should have been stopped when Yoshida jumped through the ropes to avoid Thompson. If anyone deserves a DQ it was Hidehiko.

It was a a very entertaining fight.

The fight was entertaining but the end was a disgrace. I could not believe what I was seeing.

Dragging Yoshida's corpse to the center was so bad that the ref realized and stopped the fight when it got to mount and there wasnt even really anything going on.

Dude the reffing was horrible.

They should have stopped the fight after Yoshida fell out of the ring and injured himself.

Should have been an injury stoppage win for James.

But I'm kinda glad that they didn't stop it, because we saw FIRST HAND how tough Yoshida's chin is. That guy's chin is bullet proof.

They only seem to do this with the Ultra popular japanese fighters for some reason. Seems like they were truly out to kill Sakuraba and now Yoshida has taken his place. Only truly safe place for a Japanese fighter is in the UFC. Do whats necasarry to save the life of these fine men Big John. Make it happen!!

Yeah EY, lowering himself slowly onto his head must have felled the mighty Yoshida, instead of all those fucking punches he ate before pulling a Mestre Hulk.

"But I'm kinda glad that they didn't stop it, because we saw FIRST HAND how tough Yoshida's chin is. That guy's chin is bullet proof."

Dude he didnt deserve that kind of treatment. He could have been killed. Reading your screen name Im assuming you are a fan of his, He fought a good, brave fight. But once you are unconscious the fight should be over. For his safety.

"
Yeah EY, lowering himself slowly onto his head must have felled the mighty Yoshida, instead of all those fucking punches he ate before pulling a Mestre Hulk."

The punches that hurt yoshida were inflicted a full minute before the rope incident. Yoshida was in dominant position before he fell through the ropes.

Yeah, doubled over with your head sticking through the ropes is commonly considered a dominant position. The ref should have declared Yoshida the winner right then and there.