Yoshihiro Akiyama? 7X Judo Champ?

no, im not tlaking about Todd.. He was on the other side from jason (being #1 and #2)... im tlaking about rick being the other american...

if anything, in that particular match the calls were personal, not even anything resembling the refs helping an american a bit as they were both americans.

either way, it isnt a big deal anymore... it really doesnt matter a whole lot.

Akiyama was considered one of the best judoka in the world. I can't believe he fell so fast from top. He moved to Korea wanting to make the Korean National Team. I think he is like 3rd or 4th generation Korean-Japanese.

Akiyama lived in Korea for about 3 years trying to win a spot for the Korean National Team but could not overcome the politics. He just could not get a decision againt Cho In-Chul in the trials. He was an alternate and entered some smaller world competitions as a Korean representative.

Many knew that Akiyama was getting screwed. But Yong-In University had too strong of a hold on Korean Judo, and Cho kept winning world competions. So Akiayama kept getting screwed in the trial finals.

Akiyama (known as Choo, Sung-Hoon in Korea) left Korea very angry; became Japanese citizen and won 2002 Asian Game Gold in Korea.

"Why did Akiyama try to get on the Korean team in the first place, instead of Japan?"

I read that it had something to do with discrmination against Korean immigrants his father felt in Japan and the fact that his father was a great Judoka.

Relationship between Korea and Japan is anything but a friendly one.

Akiyama looks to have been brought up by his father with one goal in their mind. However it was tough for Akiyama, who was born and raised in Japan, to adjust to Korean lifestyle and language.

It is sad that neither Korea or Japan could fully embrace Akiyama as one of them.

and so it is.. MMA, here comes Akiyama! I for one cannot wait.

a bit more about Akiyama, i just found out.

Apparently, he did make the Korean National Team in 2000 and went on to dominate all the world competitions he entered in 2001. Then he suddenly left Korea and became Japanese citizen.

It is easy to say he kept getting screwed, but like you said, Cho was winning at worlds, placed at the Olympics. I think he took gold or silver in 4 world/olymipcs right? Cho retires, he makes the team and wins worlds. They may have been very close competitively, but to say that he kept getting screwed I think is a bit insulting to Cho. From everything I have read, Cho is a bit under appreciated in Korea because of how dominant Jeon was.