You are your favorite NBA teams GM

What realistic trades would you make to set your team up for the future?

I will put on my Masai Ujiri warlord hat and make two trades to set up the Raptors' for the foreseeable future. I will also explain why the other teams would agree.

Trade #1

Toronto Receives:
Goran Dragic, Kendrick Perkins, Pacers 2014 1st round pick (via Phoenix)

OKC Receives:
Kyle Lowry, Marcin Gortat

Phoenix Receives:
Demar Derozan, Reggie Jackson, Perry Jones III, Aaron Gray, Mavericks 1-20 protected 2014 1st round pick (via OKC), OKC 2014 1st round pick

Why Raptors do it:
Demar is a nice player with an incredible work ethic, but Terrance Ross is waiting in the wings for his shot and is on his rookie salary. Dragic provides better offence and facilitation from the PG position than Lowry and his contract is more attractive that what Lowry will demand next year on the open market. Perkins provides a better backup than Gray and while carrying his contract is crappy, it will provide a ton of cap space in 2015.

Why OKC does it:
Jackson showed great promise last year, but OKC wants to contend for a title this year and cant afford to wait on promise. Getting Lowry shores up their back court in case of injury, plus Lowry could play next to Westbrook in small ball line ups due to his defence. Gortat is a massive upgrade at C and provides a lot of roster flexibility. Giving up the future assets sucks, but they have the chance to win now, so I think Presti is going to try to do that.

Why Phoenix does it:
This is all about tanking this year while looking to the future. A back court based around Demar, Jackson and Bledsoe is super athletic with each player having a defined skill set. Phoenix is looking to the draft and beyond and this trade positions them even better.

Trade #2
Toronto receive:
Carlos Boozer, Giannis Antetokuonmpo, Chicago 2015 1st round pick

Chicago receive:
Rudy Gay, Ersan Ilyasova, Ekpe Udoh

Milwaukee receive:
Luol Deng, rights to Nikola Mirotic, Bobcats top 10 protected 2014 1st round pick (via chicago)

Why Toronto does it:
Future assets. Adding a pick next year and The Greek Freak would add to the Raptors core youth movement, while Carlos is still pretty much a guaranteed 15 and 8 every night. His contract runs through to 2015, so the Raptors will have a ton of cap space, while being able to develop their your players with a solid veteran presence.

Why Chicago does it:
I think Chicago is really hoping to get either Al Horford or Lamarcus Aldridge with their assets, but I dont think they will be able to pry away either. I believe instead making a lateral move from Deng to Gay will be helped by Butler being able to pick up some of Dengs defensive responsibilities, while Gay can provide better offence if he improves his efficiency. Ilyasova provides a legit stretch 4 to the Bulls repetoire and Udoh can be an effective fourth or fifth big man.

Why Milwaukee does it:
Mirotic is a better version of Ilyasova, so that will be an improvement when they buy him out from Spain. Losing Giannis so early stinks, but getting the future pick from Charlotte and being able to add Deng, who they could resign and would fit nice in a long, defensive minded starting front court with Larry Sanders and John Henson to go along with OJ Mayo and Brandon Knight. They also have an owner who wants to win as much as possible before he dies and the teams leaves for Seattle (trust me, its gonna happen), so that adds to this situation as well.

So after the trades I made the Raptors depth chart would look like:

PG: Dragic, Augustine, Buycks, Stone
SG: Ross, Fields
SF: Novak, Antetokuonmpo, Acy
PF: Boozer, Johnson, Hansbrough, Daye
C: Valanciunas, Perkins

This would focus building the team around Valanciunas, while having promising pieces (Ross and Antetokuonmpo), 2 first round picks in the next 3 drafts and crap load of cap space when a solid free agent class becomes available in 2015.

So what do you think? When I am bored as fuck this is one of the regular daydreams I like to have. Any other armchair NBA GM's out there?

Also, this obviously is to also help us suck more this year so we can increase our odds of getting one of the top picks in next years draft.

Thats pretty deep. I sit back and let coach pop make all the decisions anyway, im just a figurehead...win. Phone Post

Seems pretty legit. Although I don't know why OKC would trade away Perry Jones and Reggie Jackson along with a pick to only add Lowry who adds depth but it doesn't address the 2-Guard and Gortat who has an expiring contract Phone Post

No way in hell the Bulls take that deal

Casey is a terrible coach, Derozan does not play a lick of defense, and Gay's shot selection has been downright atrocious this past season. Raptors are in as bad of a spot as you can be. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to draft franchise talent. They didn't even a single draft in last year and no cap space. I'm dying to see Wiggins land in Toronto but the Raptors will probably wind up drafting 9-11.

Lieweke and Ujiri have their work cut out for them Phone Post

not even a single draft pick in last years draft*** Phone Post

I'd FIRE Mike Dantoni first off, he is a loser, a fraud. Convince Phil Jackson to come back. When it comes to trades? Not too sure, get all the youth and speed at pg, sg, and sf we could get.... And 3 pt shooters.... Phone Post 3.0

BallaMMA - 

Seems pretty legit. Although I don't know why OKC would trade away Perry Jones and Reggie Jackson along with a pick to only add Lowry who adds depth but it doesn't address the 2-Guard and Gortat who has an expiring contract Phone Post

Being able to rid themselves of Perkins contract while still retain Thabo and Lamb negate any need of adding to the 2 spot, plus like I mentioned Russ can slide over to the 2 with Lowry playing because of Lowry's defence. The trade gives OKC a bunch of flexibility with the cap as well.

why would phoenix ever even look at that deal when they get no good picks

if i was the PHX GM, i would wait until December/January, and talk to someone missing a good center that has a legit scorer or a top pick

Thomas Robinson+a pick from Portland, something like that

YuckFou -
BallaMMA -  Seems pretty legit. Although I don't know why OKC would trade away Perry Jones and Reggie Jackson along with a pick to only add Lowry who adds depth but it doesn't address the 2-Guard and Gortat who has an expiring contract Phone Post

Being able to rid themselves of Perkins contract while still retain Thabo and Lamb negate any need of adding to the 2 spot, plus like I mentioned Russ can slide over to the 2 with Lowry playing because of Lowry's defence. The trade gives OKC a bunch of flexibility with the cap as well.

Yes but They would be renting Gortat and they would have to offer a significant deal to him or risk losing him like they did Kevin Martin. OKC's best bet is to develop Adams, Lamb, Roberson and Jackson and hope Westbrook comes back healthy Phone Post

I would trade a top 10 player for 2 d leaguers and one year of Kevin Martin. Phone Post

If I was Denver's GM id trade whatever I could to get Evan Turner or Trevor Ariza so I could get somewhat of a defensive stopper Phone Post

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - I would trade a top 10 player for 2 d leaguers and one year of Kevin Martin. Phone Post

Sounds very familiar.

I still can't believe OKC did that shit. They could have waited one more year or at least until the all-star break so James Harden value can go up Phone Post

BallaMMA -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - I would trade a top 10 player for 2 d leaguers and one year of Kevin Martin. Phone Post

Sounds very familiar.

I still can't believe OKC did that shit. They could have waited one more year or at least until the all-star break so James Harden value can go up Phone Post

Or amnestied Perkins and kept all of them. Phone Post

As a Blazers fan, I'd get Paul Allen to spend whatever it takes to get Phoenix training staff to Portland. And then trade myself to Indiana for Kevin Pritchard Phone Post

Fire head coach

Trade/cut every player who makes $1MM/yr or more

Hire caretaker coach from a no name college team.

Spend the next five years losing games.

Take all the money I saved and invest it as follows:

40% - Upgrades to the venue

30% - Upgrades to the training/practice facility

20% - Hire the best position/skills coaches I could find

10% - My pocket

Take all those first round draft picks and select the best athletes available, focusing on "coachable" players and passing over flashy prima donnas.

Finally hire the best coach available who is known for coaching teams with solid teamwork and excellent fundamentals.

Spend the rest of my tenure making the playoffs but not winning championships.

Retire ass-fucking white-man rich.

Raptors, get rid of their mediocre players and tank for wiggins.

shaqitup -

100% agree. Phone Post

phydeau - Fire head coach

Trade/cut every player who makes $1MM/yr or more

Hire caretaker coach from a no name college team.

Spend the next five years losing games.

Take all the money I saved and invest it as follows:

40% - Upgrades to the venue

30% - Upgrades to the training/practice facility

20% - Hire the best position/skills coaches I could find

10% - My pocket

Take all those first round draft picks and select the best athletes available, focusing on "coachable" players and passing over flashy prima donnas.

Finally hire the best coach available who is known for coaching teams with solid teamwork and excellent fundamentals.

Spend the rest of my tenure making the playoffs but not winning championships.

Retire ass-fucking white-man rich.

Not to be a buzz kill, but there's a cap limit as far as the minimum amount your team's payroll would have to hit. Phone Post