You buy used computer with 1000 btc inside

So lets say you buy a computer at a garage sale and when you get home you find out that there are 1000 fucking biitcoins on there. As it turns out a guy mined them when they were single digits, forgot about them and died before he could cash them outside.

The dudes wife is doing ok but she could use some help. Im sure 99.9% of the OG would give at least half of the loot to the widow but what do you do with your portion? Do you cash out half and let the rest ride? Do you leave it all on and yolo it to the moon?

As of today, thats $15,100,005.

Would most likely cash out now.

Probably regret it when it goes to like $30m, but $15m is a huge sum of money that would change my life forever.

I'd be afraid of those coins taking a tumble and leaving me with nothing. 

Nitecrawler -

Probably regret it when it goes to like $30m, but $15m is a huge sum of money that would change my life forever.

Poor widow

Tim Duncan -
Nitecrawler -

Poor widow
Im just giving you shit.

Lets say you dont know who the owner of the computer was and you can keep 100% of the bitcoins, guilt free

Tim Duncan -
Nitecrawler -

Poor widow

Nah, I'd most likely send a few mil anonymously to the widow, especially if she was struggling. 

But, I mean, if I bought it at a garage sale I'm sure I'm not really getting into this persons life, I'm just there looking for a deal so realistically I probably wouldn't even know about her dead husband. But if I did, I'd totally send a few mil anonymously. 

Nitecrawler -
Tim Duncan -
Nitecrawler -

Poor widow

Nah, I'd most likely send a few mil anonymously to the widow, especially if she was struggling. 

But, I mean, if I bought it at a garage sale I'm sure I'm not really getting into this persons life, I'm just there looking for a deal so realistically I probably wouldn't even know about her dead husband. But if I did, I'd totally send a few mil anonymously. 

I know you would. Probably a good idea cause you might get sued to bolivia, and be in the news as the jerk who swindled a poor widow! On a side note Ive read of stories where this guy got arrested for keeping money he found in a suitcase he bought from a thrift store.

Nitecrawler -

Yep. Take it and run cause that feeling in your gut thinking damn could have had 30 mill if I waited is nothing like the feeling of not taking the 15 and then it shits the bed and you end up with like under a mill.

Yeah thats still free money but its not retire and live comfortably the rest of your life money.

So I'd take it now, I can live with regretting not leaving the money to grow but I cant live with teh regret of leaving it in too long and losing that money.

Nitecrawler -

Goodluck cashing out any major cryptocurrency  

GaspareBJJ -
Nitecrawler -

Why do people keep saying this?

So, if i bought a painting at a yard sale and it turned out to be worth $50M, im supposed to, out of the goodness of my heart, give cash to the previous, dumbass owner??

I don't thnk so.

Juxtaposition -
GaspareBJJ -
Nitecrawler -

I think he is right if you want to cashout if the coin is crashing

Tim Duncan -
Juxtaposition -
GaspareBJJ -
Nitecrawler -

Even if its crashing you will have plenty of opportunity to cash out 1000 coins. You won't get the best price but there is plenty of liquidity on the way down.

Tim Duncan - 
Juxtaposition -
GaspareBJJ -
Nitecrawler -

He's wrong, plain and simple. You can cash out at anytime whether its crashing or not someone is always buying.

You can sell your apple stock at its 52 week high or 20 year low, it all depends on if you are willing to sell for the price of the stock/coin at the moment you are looking to sell.

Liquidity is an issue in absolutely massive quantities to not cause a downturn in the price of the coin, but thats why you sell in small amounts across a few different exchanges. Charlie Lee sold all of his litecoin, a fucking MASSIVE amount in 1 day and it had no impact on the price of the coin from the previous day.

Chris27 -
Nitecrawler -

Yep. Take it and run cause that feeling in your gut thinking damn could have had 30 mill if I waited is nothing like the feeling of not taking the 15 and then it shits the bed and you end up with like under a mill.

Yeah thats still free money but its not retire and live comfortably the rest of your life money.

So I'd take it now, I can live with regretting not leaving the money to grow but I cant live with teh regret of leaving it in too long and losing that money.

After spending 1 million on a house and 2 cars, uou couldn't live on 200k/year for 70 years?

Juxtaposition -
GaspareBJJ -
Nitecrawler -

If there's a major crash, Coinbase will fail, as usual. However, I've made withdrawals every week this month, and had no issues. Coinbase says 6 days for US accounts, but I initiated a withdrawal on Friday, and funds were in my account yesterday. Not bad, considering the holiday.

Legally would you be in the clear though? Is it akin to getting a piano that some old guy has stashed cash in or more like getting sold a painting for $50 that turns out to be worth millions?

IronHands -
Juxtaposition -
GaspareBJJ -
Nitecrawler -

If there's a major crash, Coinbase will fail, as usual. However, I've made withdrawals every week this month, and had no issues. Coinbase says 6 days for US accounts, but I initiated a withdrawal on Friday, and funds were in my account yesterday. Not bad, considering the holiday.

If you have a lot of coins you use multiple exchanges to sell on. You also use Bitmex & Okex to hedge futures. If one exchange goes down you can sell your equivalent you want on all other exchanges & hedge the remainder that you can't access.

Juxtaposition -
IronHands -
Juxtaposition -
GaspareBJJ -
Nitecrawler -

If you have a lot of coins you use multiple exchanges to sell on. You also use Bitmex & Okex to hedge futures. If one exchange goes down you can sell your equivalent you want on all other exchanges & hedge the remainder that you can't access.

I have no desire to cash out en masse. I am, however, taking a few grand out each week to test the waters in terms of treating my holdings as supplemental income.

I believe any crash or correction is temporary, and barring a total implosion of the market, I'm still way ahead of where I started.

Sell all 1000 bitcoin for yourself. 

Let the window "earn" $5000 of it back 20 dollars at a time.