You can call Maynard vs. Guida a crappy fight, but

... I was thoroughly entertained. Actually got up off of my ass when Maynard got him down and had him in that guillotine. Maynard gained me as a fan last night and I found it very awesome how he reacted to Guida's gameplan. Good job Gray!!! Glad the judges got it right. Phone Post

Fans who are not drunk and understand fighting can appreciate a huge underdog somehow managing to pull off victory the only way he could (and then, unfortunately, getting robbed). Maynard got close to finishing the fight in the 4th with the choke, they had back and forth taunting, Clay hurt Gray badly with all of his three head kicks, and especially the last one that had two follow up punches that continued to rock him. 

Very good fight.

I thought it was a somewhat tedious fight for the first 10 or so minutes as it seemed destined for 25 minutes of Guida jumping on a trampoline, but as soon as some emotion made it's way into the fight I thought it was entertaining, 4th round especially. That guillotine and numerous slams made me jump up.

Elias Cepeda - Fans who are not drunk and understand fighting can appreciate a huge underdog somehow managing to pull off victory the only way he could (and then, unfortunately, getting robbed). Maynard got close to finishing the fight in the 4th with the choke, they had back and forth taunting, Clay hurt Gray badly with all of his three head kicks, and especially the last one that had two follow up punches that continued to rock him. 

Very good fight.

Wow, for real? Grey won that fight Phone Post

Anyone who is into point fighting is not a friend of mine

Bath salts

Tap In -  Anyone who is into point fighting is not a friend of mine
Is that you, BJ?!

: ) Phone Post

its smart of clay to move a ton and not get hit, but he didnt throw enough offensnse

Elias Cepeda - Fans who are not drunk and understand fighting can appreciate a huge underdog somehow managing to pull off victory the only way he could (and then, unfortunately, getting robbed). Maynard got close to finishing the fight in the 4th with the choke, they had back and forth taunting, Clay hurt Gray badly with all of his three head kicks, and especially the last one that had two follow up punches that continued to rock him. 

Very good fight.<br type="_moz" />

I think most fans (casual and hardcore) would rather see a soldier go out on his shield than try to steal a decision with n movement that doesn't add up to anything. I thought Guida hurt himself more with this loss than if he'd come out guns blazing and gotten KO'd in the second round. At least then we'd look forward to his next fight.

any real fan can at least pretend to understand that "going out on your shield," is more than a cute metaphor, it means serious injury or more. Guida went out and tried to win the only way he possibly could have and that is more than his perogative, that's his responsibility. The result was five rounds of him making Maynard miss, of out landing Gray with punches and kicks and defending just about all of Maynard's other offensive attempts (ie. take down attempts.)

Talk about Guida's movement all you want, but he was cutting angles and threw and landed more punches than Gray. Not sure how the the more active and more effective guy loses. Maynard got frozen a bit with his hand-cocked for a big shot and stalk approach, and it hurt him a bit, just like it did in his last two fights. 

Two fighters went out there and did the best they could. None of them owe any of us an apology if he didn't get hard-ons watching it, imo

Elias Cepeda -  any real fan can at least pretend to understand that "going out on your shield," is more than a cute metaphor, it means serious injury or more. Guida went out and tried to win the only way he possibly could have and that is more than his perogative, that's his responsibility. The result was five rounds of him making Maynard miss, of out landing Gray with punches and kicks and defending just about all of Maynard's other offensive attempts (ie. take down attempts.)

Talk about Guida's movement all you want, but he was cutting angles and threw and landed more punches than Gray. Not sure how the the more active and more effective guy loses. Maynard got frozen a bit with his hand-cocked for a big shot and stalk approach, and it hurt him a bit, just like it did in his last two fights. 

Two fighters went out there and did the best they could. None of them owe any of us an apology if he didn't get hard-ons watching it, imo

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLL.  Guida turned a house that was going apeshit for him during his walkout and ended up booing him out of the cage and cheering his opponent?  When does that happen?  

PS- running around the perimeter of the cage isn't "cutting angles".  He also didn't land more strikes.

Elias Cepeda -  any real fan can at least pretend to understand that "going out on your shield," is more than a cute metaphor, it means serious injury or more. Guida went out and tried to win the only way he possibly could have and that is more than his perogative, that's his responsibility. The result was five rounds of him making Maynard miss, of out landing Gray with punches and kicks and defending just about all of Maynard's other offensive attempts (ie. take down attempts.)

Ummmmm compustrike says Gray landed more >.>

Elias Cepeda - Fans who are not drunk and understand fighting can appreciate a huge underdog somehow managing to pull off victory the only way he could (and then, unfortunately, getting robbed). Maynard got close to finishing the fight in the 4th with the choke, they had back and forth taunting, Clay hurt Gray badly with all of his three head kicks, and especially the last one that had two follow up punches that continued to rock him. 

Very good fight.

Where did you see a fight? All I saw was one dude who wanted to fight and another guy bouncing around, trying to look busy and avoiding a fight for 90% of the 5 rounds. Phone Post

Ah, I see Elias is from Guida country in Chicago...his ridiculously biased posts defending that nonsense performance make much more sense to me now. 

I can't beat Jon Jones in a fight, according to Elias' logic me running around for 25 minutes completely avoiding the fight is perfectly acceptable because it's the only way I can win.

Elias Cepeda, its about the same mentality that people see when Ali did the rode a dope, the ref was wrong to say anything to Guida, side to side is ok, Guida won the fight.

lol at the fucking tards comparing Guidas performance to Lyoto Machida and Ali.

That's like me bagging a 350 pound chick at the bar and saying hey it's the same as bagging Jessica Alba because they both got a hole to put it in.

mcpeepants232003 - lol at the fucking tards comparing Guidas performance to Lyoto Machida and Ali.

That's like me bagging a 350 pound chick at the bar and saying hey it's the same as bagging Jessica Alba because they both got a hole to put it in.

It wasn't Ali's rope-a-dope, it wasn't Condit vs Diaz, it wasn't Machida...it was Kalib Starnes.

He did not land more punches than Gray.

And he did throw more, but most were from a range that had no hope of connecting. Double jabbing the air, and then bouncing away, from a range of 5 feet away is not effective striking.

14% striking rate is horrible.
It probably would have been under 10% if Gray hadnt stood still and let Clay hit him 4 times in the 4th round.

Gray was the more effective fighter, not Clay. Clay had a couple decent kicks but that was it. Gray was the only fighter that was in a position to stop the fight, or even going for a finish for that matter.

SHOGUN250 - I thought it was a somewhat tedious fight for the first 10 or so minutes as it seemed destined for 25 minutes of Guida jumping on a trampoline, but as soon as some emotion made it's way into the fight I thought it was entertaining, 4th round especially. That guillotine and numerous slams made me jump up.
This. Phone Post