You can teach a wrestler boxing but not vice versa

http://rt.com/sport/mma-emelianenk-brothers-sambo/

Aleksander Emelianenko

in Russian he says

You can teach a wrestler boxing, but you can't teach a boxer wrestling"

What do you think ? if we take a boxer at let's say 18 who has been boxing since he was 10 and take him to Xtreme Couture, will be an MMA champ like so many wrestlers have been?

blue namer, link it please or embed video

bullshit

People schooled in boxing lack sufficient storage space in their muscle memory to become proficient at a grappling art. This has been borne out by evidence time and time again.

I think there is a paradox when one is learning both boxing and wrestling. Muscle tension is needed for strength in wrestling, but the opposite is true for boxing.

Freddie Roach is always saying GSP's punches are too tight, but if he loses too much tension in his shoulders, he will lose strength in his wrestling.

I believe this is why alot of mmaer's can't even learn to punch correctly, too much tension in their shoulders.

How about GSP, not boxing but karate. Phone Post

ihitpeople - I think there is a paradox when one is learning both boxing and wrestling. Muscle tension is needed for strength in wrestling, but the opposite is true for boxing.

Freddie Roach is always saying GSP's punches are too tight, but if he loses too much tension in his shoulders, he will lose strength in his wrestling.

I believe this is why alot of mmaer's can't even learn to punch correctly, too much tension in their shoulders.

very true analytical statement

If fedor said it than its true.

Aleks said it :)

but how about guys like Rampage? he's a wrestler who has KO power and technical skills? Kos and Bader and Evans has no technical boxing but massive KO power.

JON JONES, perfectly example of having great striking (though unorthodox it's very pin point effective) i am sure there are plenty of others...then you take guys like Marcus Davis and Branden Schaub who have boxing backgrounds and I've seen very little wrestling from either or. nonexistant in fact in Marcus' game

OveREEMed A New Butthole - It's true, BJJ and wrestling are much more complex and deeper than striking.

If this is true how come striking doesn't come easy to most mmaer's.

Both grappling and striking get super complex at the highest levels.

ihitpeople - 
OveREEMed A New Butthole - It's true, BJJ and wrestling are much more complex and deeper than striking.

If this is true how come striking doesn't come easy to most mmaer's.

Both grappling and striking get super complex at the highest levels.

If I may try...striking/thai boxing/ etc is very "unnatural". you have to train your body to move quiet the opposite of how it really wants to move, which is why I think striking is different to learn. I think grappling is most definitely way more complex but even to begin striking you have to change so many physical attributes that it's harder.

Matt Hughes' boxing really helped him in his last fight.

He has to say that since he comes from a grapplers point of view. But in some way it rings truthfull. Currently MMA striking as a whole is nowhere near the level of say k1 or Boxing but you have very high level wrestlers competing in MMA.

So you do not have high level strikers as whole to contend with in MMA . As far as bieng more complex. Boxing to me is the most complex artform, Footwork, postioning, defense, offense , timing and the fact that its so specialized  the margin of error can be brutal compared to MMA.

You dont feel the same level of panic in grappling when in a submission. You do not feel the same level of panic when you are behind in points in a wrestling match or about to get pinned. The highest level of panic is when you are Boxing and you cant even hit your opponent and your chin is to good to let you get KO'd and it is lasting for 10+ rounds.

K1 is also very hard but the rounds and the 3 knockdown rule makes it a bit less of a long painful route compared to the longer rounds and sustianed damage in Boxing.

I was a boxer who didn't start grappling until like 23 and I have an 86% win percentage with a NAGA belt(albiet @ beginer). I won't see ADCC anytime soon, but I'd say I'm better than most with my experience.

I think the reason most wrestlers can't box and boxers can't wrestle isn't because they aren't capable, but because they're not really open to it.

You can teach a wrestler to be a great jiu jitsu guy, but you can't teach a jiu jitsu guy to be a great wrestler.

ihitpeople - I think there is a paradox when one is learning both boxing and wrestling. Muscle tension is needed for strength in wrestling, but the opposite is true for boxing.

Yeah that seems to make some sense.

I think the primary reason is motivation though, if a boxer was motivated ENOUGH to make the change they'd be very capable.

FWIW when grappling you get instant feedback via body contact as to what your opponent is doing, where he's at, where he's on balance, where his balance is weak, what limbs are protected and which limbs are at risk.

You get all that by feel and its damn near instantaneous.

Striking is different because all the feedback comes from what you see. Your brain has to absorb it, decipher it and decide on an appropriate response AS its also concerned about attacking or defending.

Visual information takes longer to process and respond to than tactile information.

What about guys like Marcus Davis?

Spoken like a person who's never really tried to take up boxing before.

LOL, this is why MMA striking is so horrible.

Ive done boxing for a looong time, I picked up wrestling easy

Of all the styles: BJJ, boxing/kickboxing/ wrestling... the striking arts are BY FAR the hardest for someone to do effectively IMO

anyone can learn to be effective wrestling/BJJ in no time

with boxing/kickboxing people can train for years and still suck bad.... its one of those things you either have it or you dont

pretty interesting points of view! Thank you guys...a very non-flaming UG thread! +1 to all contributors