You don't know me, but...

I have lurked on this forum for about 5 years and finally made an account. This site has helped me in many ways. Many of the posters have made my life better by sharing their stories with the rest of us. I have turned to the OG many times when looking for advice and seldom was I led astray.
I am writing this now because I am in a time of need. I recently graduated from HS and was set to become an EOD operator in the Army. Everything was going fine until I went to MEPs and received the news I was medically DQ'd due to not being able to hear one tone. I was devastated. I will now be one of the only men in my family to not serve and have no idea what to do.
I'm lost. I don't do anything anymore. I'm one step from the edge. Not suicidal or anything just at a very fucked point in my life and am looking how others took the news they were not good enough to die for their country.
Sorry for the FRAT and the thanks for reading.
As always FtheOG, J. Phone Post

hi kkm......

just cause you cant be in the army does not mean you cant serve your country in many other ways.  I know it is the opposite but there is the Peace Corp or Red Cross, there is no greater pride then helping people.  You could go to school for Engineering and be the person who teaches EOD people.  There are jobs like CIA, FBI, NSA, as well as civilian officers.  Just cause you can't be on the front line does not mean you cant make a differece.  I work for the Department Of State and I am not a battle field but I feel that what I do assists Americans everyday. 

You're young as shit my man, keep your head up and welcome aboard. Phone Post

Thanks for the advice. I really don't see how I could be considered a troll though exspecially of epic proportions. Phone Post

He said hi KKM. I always thought that was a name for a troll. Phone Post

j_909 - 

He said hi KKM. I always thought that was a name for a troll. Phone Post

breath man, breath

I gave you some solid advice, 13'ers gonna 13 I guess........

Haha I can't believe I fucked up on the first day. Thanks again man really. Phone Post

Keep your head up.  It sounds cliche, but perhaps it just wasn't meant to be.

You can still be just about anything you'd like to be, if you put your mind to it.  You'll find what you want.

You just graduated hs and have been on the og 5 years? That can't be healthy Phone Post

A victim of the times. With the cutbacks and the shitty economy, the military can be extremely selective in who they pass through MEPS. When I enlisted (June 2001), things were different. I had low arches, a history of chronic bronchitis as a young child, and had torn a nerve behind my knee playing football the year before. After 9/11, people were getting waivers for all sorts of things that wouldn't fly now. Sorry to hear.

weebrave - You just graduated hs and have been on the og 5 years? That can't be healthy Phone Post

Lol Phone Post

Ah...I remember when I made my first post many moons ago and was like wtf is a kkm???? Why you calling me that??? good to see the tradition still lives.

weebrave - You just graduated hs and have been on the og 5 years? That can't be healthy Phone Post

This place has helped sculpt me into the functional young man I am today haha. Phone Post

You might not be good enough to die for your country, but there is surely something you can find to do here. 

j_909 -

This place has helped sculpt me into the functional young man I am today haha. Phone Post

In all honesty though I wouldn't be too down on yourself, the friends I have in the military hate it, and our government sucks. Did you read that suicide letter from the veteran? Phone Post

weebrave -
j_909 -

In all honesty though I wouldn't be too down on yourself, the friends I have in the military hate it, and our government sucks. Did you read that suicide letter from the veteran? Phone Post

Yes, it was gut wrenching. It's not so much for me, but a family tradition if you will to serve, and I feel I will be letting those who came before me down. Phone Post

You need a good fingering

You freshman!!! Phone Post

Op if you gung ho on being in the military I would research the requirements or find a reliable contact to see if restrictions are more laxed in the various branches like if you could get into the reserves or the coast guard or something.

There is also surgery to repair hearing if that's an option.

Where there's a will there's a way and where the isn't a way there's always alternatives. Phone Post 3.0

Go into law enforcement or be a firefighter or something. Phone Post