You knew it wouldn't stop at Civil War symbols...

Now we're gonna go after Presidents and anything that offends us in American history in general...

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-native-american-statue-removal-20180401-story.html

Over the decades, this quiet coastal hamlet has earned a reputation as one of the most liberal places in the nation. Arcata was the first U.S. city to ban the sale of genetically modified foods, the first to elect a majority Green Party city council and one of the first to tacitly allow marijuana farming before pot was legal.

Now it's on the verge of another first.

No other city has taken down a monument to a president for his misdeeds. But Arcata is poised to do just that. The target is an 8½-foot bronze likeness of William McKinley, who was president at the turn of the last century and stands accused of directing the slaughter of Native peoples in the U.S. and abroad.

"Put a rope around its neck and pull it down," Chris Peters shouted at a recent rally held at the statue, which has adorned the central square for more than a century.

Peters, who heads the Arcata-based Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous People, called McKinley a proponent of "settler colonialism" that "savaged, raped and killed."

A presidential statue would be the most significant casualty in an emerging movement to remove monuments honoring people who helped lead what Native groups describe as a centuries-long war against their very existence.

(Los Angeles Times)

The push follows the rapid fall of Confederate memorials across the South in a victory for activists who view them as celebrating slavery. In the nearly eight months since white supremacists marched in central Virginia to protest the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue, cities across the country have yanked dozens of Confederate monuments. Black politicians and activists have been among the strongest supporters of the removals.

This time, it's tribal activists taking charge, and it's the West and California in particular leading the way. The state is home to the largest Native American population in the country and more than 100 federally recognized tribes.

In February, San Francisco officials said they planned to remove a prominent downtown monument depicting a defeated Native American at the feet of a vaquero and a Spanish missionary. In March, the San Jose City Council booted a statue of Christopher Columbus from the lobby of City Hall.

Other states are joining the movement. The city of Kalamazoo, Mich., said last month it would take down a park monument of a Native American in a headdress kneeling before a westward-facing pioneer. In Alcalde, N.M., and El Paso, statues of the conquistador Juan de Oñate have become subjects of renewed debate.

In Baltimore, a city councilman has vowed to replace a smashed Columbus monument with something that better reflects "current-day values."

In Arcata, a city of about 17,000 about two hours south of the Oregon state line, a long-simmering debate over McKinley caught fire after Charlottesville. Area tribes and activists launched a petition campaign and descended on City Hall. The protesters said they couldn't watch Confederate monuments fall without thinking of their own statue.

By the winter, the plaza played host to regular protests. McKinley became a symbol of Arcata's sins against Natives and, by extension, other races too, forcing the city to confront some of its embarrassing history. In 1886, for example, Arcata passed a law calling for the "total expulsion of the Chinese."

McKinley also became a target for anger at President Trump, who has stoked racial tensions with his comments — including his continued insistence that there were "very fine people" among the white supremacists who rallied in Charlottesville.

One Arcata resident was so incensed over McKinley that he protested 26 days straight on the plaza. He held a sign that read, "This Christmas, give the gift of not supporting racism and murder. Remove the statue."

Ted Hernandez, chairman of the Wiyot Tribe, supports removing the McKinley statue.
Ted Hernandez, chairman of the Wiyot Tribe, supports removing the McKinley statue. (Jaweed Kaleem / Los Angeles Times)

The debate culminated in February during a long and anger-filled City Council meeting, when dozens of residents packed City Hall to testify on both sides of the issue. In the end, the council voted 4 to 1 to get rid of the statue.

"Is there a difference between honoring McKinley and Robert E. Lee?" the mayor, Sofia Pereira, who was part the majority, said in a recent interview. "They both represent historical pain."

The land that is now Arcata was once inhabited by the Wiyot Tribe. Then in the 1850s the logging boom began — and pioneers seeking wealth began rapidly grabbing tribal lands. In 1860, settlers massacred dozens of Wiyots, whom tribe members still mourn today. Wiyot children were commonly abducted and forced into servitude.

McKinley, a Republican who was president from 1897 until his assassination in 1901, never set foot in the region. But after his death dozens of memorials to him popped up across the nation.

In Honolulu, there's McKinley High School. In Philadelphia, a McKinley statue stands in front of City Hall. Chicago has McKinley Park neighborhood, with a statue of the president at the entrance to its main park.

The highest mountain in North America, Alaska's Mt. Denali, was named Mt. McKinley until it was officially returned to his original name in 2015. Unlike other sites, the mountain got its name before McKinley died.

Just north of Arcata is an unincorporated area called McKinleyville.

The McKinley statue has been in Arcata Plaza since 1906, when a local businessman commissioned and gifted it to the city to honor "the first modern president."

The city eventually grew into a haven for hippies from the Bay Area who sought a quieter life and cheaper land. Marijuana growers flocked to the area, as did activists who enrolled at Humboldt State University for its environmental and Native American studies programs.

But the statue remained as a vestige of a more conservative past. Locals embraced the president as a mascot, dressing him as a lumberjack, and placing bunny ears on his head for Easter. Pranksters have been known to put condoms on his outstretched fingers and stuff cheese in his ears.

Local tribes long resented the statue but remained silent on the matter, figuring there was little chance it would ever come down.

"The Native people here have avoided that square for years," said Ted Hernandez, chairman of the 620-member Wiyot Tribe, which is based on a reservation about 20 miles south of the city. "Why do we have this man standing in this square where they used to sell our children?"

Hernandez's tribe is one of more than a dozen whose members showed up in Arcata or sent letters of protest over the months against McKinley.

Bernadette Smith, who recently drove four hours north from the Ma

Cull progressive, ultra left people from humanity. Please.

Fighting -

Don't fret. Nature will take its course. Just be patient.

It makes sense. The country made decisions that lead to a more diverse and multicultural population. A lot of these heroes depicted in the statues are heroes to whites only and naturally the groups (blacks/natives) that these white heroes fought against see them in a different light.

White country - white heroes = heroes

Diverse country - white heroes = one guy's hero, another guy's oppressor

Canooke - It makes sense. The country made decisions that lead to a more diverse and multicultural population. A lot of these heroes depicted in the statues are heroes to whites only and naturally the groups (blacks/natives) that these white heroes fought against see them in a different light.

History.  At the time things were vastly different.  I don't know enough about what their talking about to make an educated opinion, but I am sure he wasn't sitting in his office and one day said, " go kill some indians. lol " 

Sogflop -
Fighting -

Don't fret. Nature will take its course. Just be patient.

Doubt it will happen in the direction you are thinking.

Donkey Hotee -
Fighting -

Grow some balls and do it yourself.

Fine. I'll start with you. What's your address?

I once saw a guy walking down the street in Arcata taking bong rips. That’s the kind of town we’re talking about.

This offends me!

Donkey Hotee - 
Fighting -
Donkey Hotee -
Fighting -

215 Union ave

campbell, ca 95008

you left out the apartment number!

Donkey Hotee -
Fighting -
Donkey Hotee -
Fighting -

215 Union ave

campbell, ca 95008

^^^^^

Ill Portents -
Fighting -

That's not very respectful of the Constitution. 

Since communism is a direct threat to the constitution, I'll alow it.

Fighting - 
Canooke - It makes sense. The country made decisions that lead to a more diverse and multicultural population. A lot of these heroes depicted in the statues are heroes to whites only and naturally the groups (blacks/natives) that these white heroes fought against see them in a different light.

History.  At the time things were vastly different.  I don't know enough about what their talking about to make an educated opinion, but I am sure he wasn't sitting in his office and one day said, " go kill some indians. lol " 

"History. At the time things were vastly different."

Right. Things were different then, it was a white country and people wanted statues of their white heroes. Perfectly understandable. Fast-forward to today with a more diverse population and the groups that these historical heroes oppressed have a voice and they don't like the statues. Their position is understandable.

It's a statue. It's purpose it to remind and to glorify. The oppressed don't want to see their oppressor glorified. We aren't tearing down a useful bridge. If the statue is offensive to a significant enough group of people then it's reasonable to take it down.

I'm an individual rights supporter. I don't like the left. But I think it makes perfect sense to take down statues that are understandably offensive to large groups of Americans.

Donkey Hotee -
Fighting -
Donkey Hotee -
Fighting -

215 Union ave

campbell, ca 95008

Prepare for lots of pizza deliveries

Canooke - It makes sense. The country made decisions that lead to a more diverse and multicultural population. A lot of these heroes depicted in the statues are heroes to whites only and naturally the groups (blacks/natives) that these white heroes fought against see them in a different light.

Sounds like diversity is divisive and not a strength at all.

That's bullshit , I have white hero's too. Some of them former slave owners (that's right bitch I said it ) . Some of them were even confederates. I love when white liberals speak for minorities ,it's always good for a chuckle .

Donkey Hotee - 
Soup and Beer -
Donkey Hotee - 
Fighting -
Donkey Hotee -
Fighting -

215 Union ave

campbell, ca 95008

you left out the apartment number!

He won’t need it.  I will see his sorry ass coming.

Haha. These fat redneck basement-dwellers talk a big game as always. But the most they do is rage on the OG.

In real life these fools are straight pussy bitches. Thats WHY they lash out online.

Canooke - 
Fighting - 

Right. Things were different then, it was a white country and people wanted statues of their white heroes. Perfectly understandable. Fast-forward to today with a more diverse population and the groups that these historical heroes oppressed have a voice and they don't like the statues. Their position is understandable.

It's a statue. It's purpose it to remind and to glorify. The oppressed don't want to see their oppressor glorified. We aren't tearing down a useful bridge. If the statue is offensive to a significant enough group of people then it's reasonable to take it down.

I'm an individual rights supporter. I don't like the left. But I think it makes perfect sense to take down statues that are understandably offensive to large groups of Americans.

I'm baffled at your sound logic and reason!

In before someone calls you a leftist faggot and then post a meme or something.

Good post.

Canooke -
Fighting - 

And tell us what you know of oppression.
Tell us all the experience you have .

Pedro Navaja -
Canooke - 
Fighting - 

I'm baffled at your sound logic and reason!

In before someone calls you a leftist faggot and then post a meme or something.

Good post.
Why ? I mean your the leftist faggot , not him.