You know how I know your MA school is garbage?

When there's a single instructor and the wall is literally covered with certifications.

A certificate (and, coincidentally, an invoice) for everything.  Does Gracie University accept credit cards?  'A swipe for a stripe'?

I'm picking on Gracie University here but I see this in all the traditional style schools too.  Instructor is 'certified' in 35 different things ranging from 'verbal judo' to 'tactical pen deployment expert'.  

I liken this to for-profit colleges.  Meaningless pieces of paper.  Basically wall-hung receipts.

God help us if they ever find a way to accept student loans.  Just imagine the debt crisis.

My school's instructors also teach self defense seminars, police tactic seminars, even military groups. I gues in order to do those, you would need some certs. If you had a Mac P Level 4 cert, you'd hang it on your wall too. 

None of those in the picture are a Mac P level 4 certificate.  Those are certificates for each stripe from white to blue belt.  That particular gym owner, and instructor, is a blue belt, and has amassed more wall hung accolades than General Patton.

WOW at those certificates!

There is a school around here where the Kung Fu San Soo Based instructor has a ton of meaningless & fake certs on the wall. The guy is an expert in everything , apparently. He had a "black belt certficate" on the wall for "Maui Thai" --spelled like that too.

Guy has been in business going on 10 years now. I remember when he opened I checked him out and thought , wow, this clown will never last. Seems to be doing just fine. I know of a couple very legit BJJ schools in that same area that have opened and gone out of business during that time.

Like used car salesman, martial arts instructor is the PERFECT job for people on the "less-than-honest to outright fraud" scale.

At least that Gracie school's sign is honest about one thing; you DEFINITELY will learn how to do Flying Side Kicks! No doubt.

When you get right down to it, that's really what BJJ is really all about... day after day, the grind of getting those Flying Side Kicks perfect!

shen -

At least that Gracie school's sign is honest about one thing; you DEFINITELY will learn how to do Flying Side Kicks! No doubt.

When you get right down to it, that's really what BJJ is really all about... day after day, the grind of getting those Flying Side Kicks perfect!

Hey, maybe it's a mid-action shot of a guy pulling half guard.  Don't assume.

Lol why does it have a flying karate guy on the sign ?

edward nigma - 

Original Helio technique. He almost killed Carlos with it....you should research GJJ and know how much BJJ has watered down the original teachings

Sgt. Slaphead -
edward nigma - 

Original Helio technique. He almost killed Carlos with it....you should research GJJ and know how much BJJ has watered down the original teachings
I prefer the metal box technique

ChippewaBJJ - 

When there's a single instructor and the wall is literally covered with certifications.

A certificate (and, coincidentally, an invoice) for everything.  Does Gracie University accept credit cards?  'A swipe for a stripe'?

I'm picking on Gracie University here but I see this in all the traditional style schools too.  Instructor is 'certified' in 35 different things ranging from 'verbal judo' to 'tactical pen deployment expert'.  

I liken this to for-profit colleges.  Meaningless pieces of paper.  Basically wall-hung receipts.

God help us if they ever find a way to accept student loans.  Just imagine the debt crisis.

Where is this place located?

Metro Detroit Michigan area.

things to see people to do -
Sgt. Slaphead -
edward nigma - 

I prefer the metal box technique

Ahhhh.....but now you talking Vale Tudo. Let's keep it focused on self defense curriculum fren!

ChippewaBJJ -

None of those in the picture are a Mac P level 4 certificate.  Those are certificates for each stripe from white to blue belt.  That particular gym owner, and instructor, is a blue belt, and has amassed more wall hung accolades than General Patton.

Oh my, I couldn't see that. How can you open a gym as a blue belt? Is it really a Gracie affiliate?

Saltine American -
ChippewaBJJ -

Oh my, I couldn't see that. How can you open a gym as a blue belt? Is it really a Gracie affiliate?

Helio was a blue belt

PTA - 
Saltine American -
ChippewaBJJ -

Helio was a blue belt

you antagonist!

Saltine American -
ChippewaBJJ -

Shaking my head....

A gym with ten legit BJJ black belts and a Lumpinee champion only 10 minutes away, and people choose to go there? Reading the google reviews, you'd think it was Marcelo Garcia's place. 

shen -

WOW at those certificates!

There is a school around here where the Kung Fu San Soo Based instructor has a ton of meaningless & fake certs on the wall. The guy is an expert in everything , apparently. He had a "black belt certficate" on the wall for "Maui Thai" --spelled like that too.

Guy has been in business going on 10 years now. I remember when he opened I checked him out and thought , wow, this clown will never last. Seems to be doing just fine. I know of a couple very legit BJJ schools in that same area that have opened and gone out of business during that time.

Like used car salesman, martial arts instructor is the PERFECT job for people on the "less-than-honest to outright fraud" scale.

I got one for Maui Thai also.  But then again I had an advantage being from Hawaii. 

Samuraidog - 
Saltine American -
ChippewaBJJ -

Shaking my head....

A gym with ten legit BJJ black belts and a Lumpinee champion only 10 minutes away, and people choose to go there? Reading the google reviews, you'd think it was Marcelo Garcia's place. 

Yeah, many martial artists don't seem to get that most people have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER about what does or does not qualify someone as a "legitimate" instructor. Most new students can't tell quality from bullsh!t. In fact, the entire martial arts industry depends on this.

They see an "instructor" and think he must be an expert --he's an instuctor.

Stuff like 'Lumpinee Champion' means absolutely nothing to them.

BTW, where is this school located...?

shen -
Samuraidog - 
Saltine American -
ChippewaBJJ -

Shaking my head....

Yeah, many martial artists don't seem to get that most people have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER about what does or does not qualify someone as a "legitimate" instructor. Most new students can't tell quality from bullsh!t. In fact, the entire martial arts industry depends on this.

They see an "instructor" and think he must be an expert --he's an instuctor.

Stuff like 'Lumpinee Champion' means absolutely nothing to them.

BTW, where is this school located...?

That's my school.  I'm one of those 'legit ten'.  I think :)

We're ten minutes from the place in the photo.  Warrior Way Martial Arts in Commerce.